GL - Will anything be done about EW/DK

• Members

I suppose the reason why Wheeler/Kreizman have not been fired is because GL has remained remarkably steady in the ratings during their tenure: when they took over GL was at a 2.2, and now they are at a 1.9. This ratings drop is small compared to the ratings drops for just about every other soap over the past three years. Actually, if any one team is responsible for the poor ratings that GL is getting, it is Conboy/Weston, given that during the course of their tenure GL fell from a 2.9 to a 2.2.

Now, you may believe that the work that Wheeler/Kriezman are producing is horrible. However, because EPs and HWs have so little control over soaps these days, who really knows who is responsible for what you currently see on GL. I would venture to say that executives at CBS and P&G have far more say as to what happens.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm with Max, EW and DK are not the one's who pulled the trigger on GL, that honor goes to JC and EW. Rather, EW and DK are the ones who are picking out GL's burial clothes, meeting with the funeral home and throwing dirt on the show's grave. I think it's safe to say that EW will be GL's last executive producer. DK...who knows, P&G (and the whole CBS Daytime lineup for that matter) doesn't seem to like firing its headwriters, regardless of how awful they are (LML, Passante come to mind).

• Members

I will admit that GL was one of the first shows that I began watching along with my sisters. Additionally, I began watching Days and AMC as well. Over the last few years however, only one of my sisters now watch GL. My other sister and I got tired of seeing the way the show was being destroyed, and the lame storylines that were being thrown out there.

Like many others, I have heard and read the rumors of a GL cancellation and unfortunately I do think it is imminent and that is why PGP is not in a big hurry to replace Ellen Wheeler and David Kriezman. As for the airtime should GL get cancelled here is what I have heard and read:

We all now that out of the 4 daytime shows on CBS, PGP only owns the rights to ATWT and GL. Y&R and B&B are overseen by Sony, Bell Productions and CBS. Even though NBC is denying it, we all know that the peacock network wants out of the daytime world by 2009 and the only show it currently has airing is Days of Our Lives. I've heard and read the rumors that CBS and ABC may make a play for Days in 2009, when it's contract is up with NBC. Just to let you know Days is also overseen by Sony...see a potential connection here??????

Should CBS acquire Days, then my suspicions are that it will move either Days or ATWT to GL spot. I've also heard that if this does happen then CBS will wait to see how Days does on the network. Since PGP wants out of the soap business all together and if Days does exceptionally well and ATWT continues to stumble in ratings, then the rumor is ATWT may be gone as well and B&B expanded to an hour.

Who knows what will happen...but it is a shame to see GL in the state it is in now.

• Members

I am NOT liking GL these days. The broke up Gus and Harley for this Natalia bloke. WTF they have no chemistry. Dylan needs to be recast because BG is horrid. So Gus's son and Harley's daughter are getting together. Stepsib loving? I DON'T THINK SO! After seeing one quarter of an episode today I am glad I am not watching regularly. ATWT is WAY better (and that's saying a lot.) DK needs to be fired which is a shame because I liked his early work. For someone who claims to know a whole history of the show he is sure phoning it in. Even a homosexual story can't save this show.

• Members

Believe me, I know exactly where you're coming from and I can totally empathize with you. I haven't watched Guiding Light since Harley's escape from prison riding with Gus in an ice cream truck riding all over New York City to find Phillip's "killer". I think the budget cuts in 2005 caused me to become a negative Guiding Light viewer because I was actually feeling like a home that I considered to be a home wasn't actually a home anymore. And quite frankly, I was tired of the emotional roller-coaster ride.

I don't think Ellen Wheeler is going anywhere because Barbara Bloom thinks she's doing an excellent job as an Executive Producer. I've heard rumor that David Kreizman is getting the heave-ho, but how many times have we heard this rumor? Once again, it's the emotional roller-coaster ride for me and I'm getting sick of it. Even though I quit watching Guiding Light, I still read the spoilers and even the spoilers are too pain inducing to read. I've looked at how they treated the issues of menopause and cancer, and it looks like they're going to treat the issue of abortion as a joke. They've done it with rape too. Characters like Alan and Alexandra Spaulding have been turned into villian cartoon characters while characters like Blake and Beth have done a whole entire 180 degree turn. The stories are contrived and instead of being character driven, they're plot driven.

But I feel you. I really do.

Archived