GL - Will anything be done about EW/DK

• Members

We all know the state of affairs that my beloved Guiding Light is in these days. Severe budget cuts that resulted in some great cast members being fired. Non-existent production values....

In the face of all this, we have the EW/DK regime still in charge of this show. How is it that all of the fan protest and falling ratings has not resulted in a change?

Is it that CBS and P&G simply don't care to make the change?

Is it because of their Best Show/Best Writing Emmy win for last year?

Does no one else want the job? Or can the show not afford a more experienced EP/HW?

I sometimes have the feeling that TPTB know the show is ending next year, and are keeping the existing regime for the short time it has left. I hope that I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be another explanation. What do y'all think?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hoenstly, when they said they were comming on i was liek whatev. after 1 month of her stuff airing i quit.

they need to go - along with EVERYONE in daytime right now, IMO. its time for a fresh start. get some new blood into daytime to try and breath new life in. honestly, can it get worse? and if it does, IMO, at least they were trying something new.

• Members

Sigh. Gone are the days when I couldn't wait for an episode of Guiding Light. Those days are no longer here. Sometimes I am left feeling as if it would be better off if it had been cancelled. This show has been put through the ringer way too many times. Is it too much to ask for a writer who understands and knows the history of the show?

EW and DK should have been given the pink slip when they played fast and loose with Grant Aleksander and Peter Simon. I mean who writes two major stories about the return of two characters without doing the casting first?

• Members

I've all about given up on a replacement for Ellen Wheeler and David Kreizman. EW is not going anywhere though. When the show hired Jon Conboy they really wanted EW, but she was unavailable at the time. I personally miss Jon Conboy's production values (except for the swooshes from scene to scene) and sets, although him bringing on Ellen Weston as head writer was soooooo terrible. When Wheeler arrived she undid all the good set revamping that Conboy had did, then the studio move really made things worse. The hospital looks like the kon tiki motel, cross creek looks like it was built with large beef basted rawhide bones, the main street set looks as if it was ripped off from like Saved By The Bell, & everytime I look at Harley's unfinished ugly house I scream. Basically this woman was groomed to take over GL as it's last EP so we are stuck with her. DK on the other hand needs to be fired and when he is on his way out the door they need to give him a 12 pack of toliet paper to let him know his writing is Sh!t.

As for GL being canceled, if GL is canceled

You might as well say goodbye to ATWT cause they are a package deal.

Daytime in general needs to be revamped. IMO, daytime needs the same production values as primetime. More options need to be available other than talk shows, game shows, & soap operas on network tv because the cable channels are starting to order more and more scripted series. There should be the same variety of shows on daytime as there are in primetime.

• Members

if one more person moves into the Beacon... so let's see, what has taken place on main street? car crashes, shoot outs, funerals, the Bauer BBQ, high school registrations, and everything in between. they are so cheap. i bet that even with a small budget you could figure something out! how sad is that

• Members

Actually, you bring up a point that might just be GUIDING LIGHT's current ace-in-the-hole...

While the show's ratings are down, CBS is still making a profit from selling advertising for that hour. If the network were to cancel GL in the current environment, I bet you the ever-greedy affiliates would snatch back that hour from CBS no matter what. Keep in mind the last successful show CBS launched in daytime was the revival of Family Feud way back in 1988...even if the network cancelled GL and replaced it with a cheaper to produce game show or talk show, the local stations would still make a hell of a lot more for the hour with their own programming.

Therefore, when it comes to the bottom line, right now GL is CBS's best bet.

• Members

The writing is much better than it was last year IMO. However the show was ruined in the early 2000's and just hasn't been able to recover and I think Claire Labine was the main culprit. GL under her was very boring and only narrowly focused on a few characters....which I'm sure alienated many fans including me.

Archived