August 20-24, 2007

Toups

• Members

Since when has a soap actually benefitted from moving networks? History suggests patently not- the Edge of Night's ratings were in steady decline when it moved to ABC, but it did last for 9 more years on that network, albeit the steady decline continuing. Search for Tomorrow lost half its viewership just by changing networks (see the 1981-82 seasonal ratings).

Going by the above examples, Days or any other soap changing networks now could only spell the death knell for the said soap in a very short time, which in turn would have a domino effect on the whole Daytime...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it would be even worse for DOOL than most soaps going to CBS, though, because so many CBS viewers would hate it. Days is kind of a specfic show. It's campy, and fun, and cartoonish. The mood of the CBS shows couldn't be more different. They are technically better, and take themselves much more seriously. The pairing would absolutely not work.

I think it's much more likely that DOOL will end up on ABCD. Frons has always had a thing for DOOL, and I think it meshes a bit better with the ABC soaps. I hate the idea that AMC or OLTL could get canceled for it, though, and I doubt ABC would be crazy about taking on another soap. I guess we'll wait and see...

• Members

I do not think it will be picked up from Frons. He has a good enough lineup.

11-12: The View

1-2: All My Children

2-3:One Life to Live

3-4:General Hospital

Reallly how can you get rid of AMC. AMC has always been so good on ABC but ever scine Frons took over <_<

OLTL is stable and GH is your baby

If AMC or OLTL gets cancled just for DAYS I will be so upset! DAYS is just crap now and I do not think we should cancel a soap just so it can find a new network! :angry:

ETA:DAYS has not been nominated at the Emmy's for a reeeaaaaallllllyyyyy long time. :D So by adding DAYS you are making your lineup weaker!

• Members

ABC wouldn’t pick up DOOL for numerous reasons:

1) ABC produces its own soaps—which allows the network total access to micromanage, like they love to do. DOOL, being produced by an outside production company, would heavily clash with the way that ABCD’s machine is set up.

2) DOOL looks and feels nothing like ABC’s other soaps. It would be totally out of place next to any of them.

3) There’s no real incentive or obvious benefit for ABC to pick up DOOL…there would, however, be numerous disincentives. DOOL’s ratings are poorer than every one of its existing soaps, and if ABC were to pick it up, they would probably cancel one of its existing soaps to make room for it—and the fallout from that could be absolutely disastrous. Loyal viewers of a cancelled AMC, OLTL, or GH would inevitably become irate and tune out ABCD altogether out of resentment. Meanwhile, there’s no guarantee that DOOL’s NBC viewers would effectively transfer to ABC, or that the show would find a newer, stronger audience there.

In general, networks don’t pick up other networks cancelled shows. History, meanwhile, has long shown us that the best way to effectively *kill* a show is to move it to another network. The switch tends to confuse its viewers. And, in the meantime, the new networks established viewership tend to look snidely at the inherited show…knowing that its another’s discard.

I agree that if NBC were to ever cancel DOOL, its best bet for staying on the air would probably be SOAPnet…but then that begs the question if SOAPnet would be willing to, or even could even afford to support the budget, which is doubtful. I think it's safe to say that when DOOL is cancelled by NBC, it'll be gone for good like AW. In fact (unless the average soap rating can increase by at least another 3-5 million…which we know ain’t happening) I would say that about ALL the soaps. There won’t be any network shuffle once these remaining nine start getting cancelled. It’ll just be over for them, period.

• Members

I highly doubt that GL is still alive because of ATWT - but I do agree that GL is part of CBS daytime history and it is not going anywhere anytime soon. Not only that, but - despite what most think - it is not doing that bad, considering the various timeslots it's on, the budget cuts, etc. GL has at the very least a few years left in her, and the show is in a better state than most people think it is.

• Members

I hope you're right! I've been watching a little GL lately, and it's actually a pretty good show.

About DOOL: Didn't some people throw around the idea that Frons would combine AMC and OLTL into one show to make room for DOOL? I know I've heard that somewhere. I hated that idea. I can't see those shows combining at all. And they would lose so many of the great supporting characters that really strengthen the shows.

• Members

Days future is getting darker and Darker. Everyone here has made great points about why CBS and ABC won't be picking up Days. Days only bet now is to get the ratings, and bring down the budget. Since the ratings have been so low for so long, that budget will need to be addressed. So everyone should be prepared for more cast cuts.

• Members

The fact that they fired Beth Milsteine is a huge indication that they're still smok'n Idiot Lent

at Ken's ice cream soirees.

SMH

Ed Scott is limited.

Hogan doesn't understand "Salem". He's fired the writing team that did.

Everybody over there still thinks the KINKS are an "in" band.

The magic of Deidre Hall will not be utilized or manipulated to pull back legions

of nighttime fans who only know and care about "Marlena".

Sami's no longer an engaging little bitch.

Nothing about the show really appeals to "girl power" viewers.

The ratings are not going to go up.

Dumb ass Hogan let Beth go!

Will the good lord please slap some taste back into my mouth!!!

It's curtains.

SMH

They don't want real talent or interesting people on these soaps, I'll tell you that much.

They're old stale white people with too much money and no sex lives---FAT because of the cushy

chair seats they've occupied way too long.

Just the same ole SAFE shuffle and no new ratings increases.

SOAPS ARE DEAD, because they won't accept change and the people who BRING IT.

Archived