The Tennis Thread

• Members

When I saw the pre-tournament interviews when Federer was expressing how at home he was feeling in Dubai since he has a home there and how convenient it was to go from his apartment to the courts, I thought "Uh-oh, he sounds too laid back" and I definitely felt that he could suffer an early upset but I must be honest, of the people I thought would take out Federer, I never even thought of Donskoy!

C'est la vie, it can happen.

@Soapsuds Since I've seen many improvements to Tiafoe's game, I believe that, at some point, the serve will be bumped up on the list of priorities for improvement. His footwork, was the one, I think in most need and he has vastly improved that. Also, his backswing definitely looks much improved. The fact that he's 19 and I'm seeing multiple improvements makes me hopeful.

About Delpo, this is only his 2nd tournament of the year! Delray Beach was his first back in several months, he hasn't had the benefit of playing since end of December/early January, like the rest of the ATP.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

In all honesty, I don't believe Delpo fully trusts his wrist. I'm like that with my left knee. I won't let myself do a true burpee as I don't trust my knee. I think Delpo has a mental block because we've seen what he can do. 

Edited by ChitHappens

• Members

Since he came back last year, he's been tentative with that backhand, which still lacks the power it used to have (Tiafoe was able to exploit that a few times and race on into the net). 

When he first returned last year at Delray Beach, he seemed to be a bit scared that the wrist would flare up again and there were some 'tender' moments after playing back to back matches but as the season progressed and he iced and did post match recovery protocol, he seemed to gain confidence and the backhand became a bit more sure but I definitely agree that it's a still a trust issue.  

It reminded me of Serena for a couple of seasons with her knee after her surgery. There was a time when she favored it and for awhile you could tell it would ache a little toward the end of a lengthy match. Now, we hardly remember she had surgery, or maybe these days, Serena doesn't make it as obvious if the knee still bothers her. 

• Members

Andy vs Maria

Hmmmm......I see Andy got those gloves out....LOL

Genie Bouchard loses again....LOL   I have to come to the realization that she is another Anna Kornakova ....just full of herself and her looks and not a very good tennis player at all.

Edited by Soapsuds