• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sooo strange.

I think Cuevas got booed for the same reason. Then Cuevas got angry and basically proceeded to shank the final 2 or 3 points, which wasn't the most sporting thing to do.

Both matches were well over two hours, almost going into a 3rd hour, so I don't understand the crowd's eaction.

• Members

That picture, uh, just wow. And I thought Rog's blond hair look was bad. Actually, nevermind that blond is still the worst look he's ever had. Money really does go a long way to spiffing up people's looks. No offense.

I just read this article about Mardi Fish returning to the circuit, although he says he's taking it a few tournaments at a time. I knew about the heart condition he had a couple years ago but I never knew he was dealing with all he's been dealing in the aftermath.

Kudos to him about being candid about mental illness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/08/sports/tennis/mardy-fish-attempts-comeback-after-18-months-away-from-tennis.html?smid=tw-share

• Members

Once Andy Roddick retired and he was left to carry the mantel he completely caved. He was 8 in the world and couldn't handle the pressure thats when the heart condition and his panic attacks. I didn't expect much from him and I doubt many others did even though he was the highest American male. I knew it was more than just a heart condition especially when he kept avoiding playing matches and the big one against Roger where some thought he had a chance of beating him. I didn't think he would….to me Mardy is just an average player with no real big shot…so being number 8 was all I thought he would accomplish.

After he left the tour for good it seemed American male tennis went down the tubes for good.

• Members

Okay, this is the last article I will post on the subject of Serena's return to IW, but I think it's worth a read, definitely one of the more insightful articles in a calvalcade of same ole 'think' pieces.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/mar/12/what-everyone-is-getting-wrong-about-serena-williams-return-to-indian-wells

I think I'm going to end up paying today for staying up so late to watch Taylor Townsend's match vs. Betthanie Mattek Sands but it was highly entertaining. Too bad they had to face each other in Round 1 but Taylor unequivically 'got game'. I wish all the fat shaming would stop. Lindsey Davenport was allowed to come to her own fitness decisions years into her professional career and the same respect should be accorded to Taylor.

• Members

I hope Serena's nerves don't get the better of her. This is huge! Probably will be a standing ovation, which will really hype things up.

Townsend got game, and I'm gonna need Zena to bring in some help refining this young woman's game! I really enjoy watching her play. They talk about her fitness? Bullsh!t! That girl can move! Townsend and Keys are the most promising Americans to follow V/S! The American men are still hopeless!

Bethany is just a slob and I am always troubled by her appearance :(

• Members

I read on Twitter from someone sitting in the stands that when the announcer asked if people were excited about the return of Serena Williams, there were mostly cheers and applause yet some boos.

If those fools boo, I'm cutting IW loose for good on my viewing guide. I won't waste my time watching again. I had stopped watching for years after the Williamses boycott and slowly began to watch a few matches here and there over the past two years. With the time difference, I'm barely hanging in as it is...

Update: Serena got a nice ovation, she shed a few tears, her sister Isha had tears...I may have welled up a bit myself.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

that and Niculescu's crazy ass style of play! I can't remember the last time I saw someone hit the ball with that much spin! I'm not just talking about topspin, I'm talking sidespin, backspin, underspin...Jennifer Capriati would've called Niculescu a ' junkballer'. I don't think Niculescu hit one single flat shot all match long and it drove Serena bonkers because of the lack of pace on Monica's strokes. I almost had to laugh at one time, Niculescu hit what can only be described as a forehand slice dropshot and it pretty much died right after climbing over the net as Serena lunged after it, knowing it was a lost point.laugh.png

When someone feeds you balls with little to no pace, you practically have to grab the ball if you want to hit it back, if you like to play with pace and are use to clean, flat strokes, it drives you nuts to try to create your own pace that way.

I'm not posting anymore Serena/I.W. articles but there's a pretty good one on Yahoo!/Eurosport by someone named Tumaini Carayol, who talks about how Serena's return doesn't change anything in as far as the racist abuse exhibited and lack of apology by the tournament in how they failed to handle the situation.

Tennis is often know for throwing players under the bus in situations when they fail to do the right thing. I remember watching a documentary about Monica Seles and how when she was recuperating after the stabbing, her representatives had asked the ITF/WTA to hold her ranking in place while she recovered. Instead of doing the right thing, the WTA/ITF claimed they had to put it to a vote and shortly thereafter informed Seles' agent/rep that the then Players' Council voted it down, so Seles' ranking plummeted after losing massive amounts or ranking points for tournaments missed.

Years later, the ITF/ATP/WTA would all adopt a Protected Rankings System that would essentially do what Monica had pleaded with them to do for her, only it was implemented years later-- too late to help Seles.

WTA/ITF put it all on the players but since Seles was nearly mortally wounded at a WTA sanctioned tournament through no fault of her own, why put this on the players? Many of whom were Seles' competitors at the time?

As much as I am a fan of tennis, there are many such times when the organizations governing the sport have shown themselves to be self serving and greedy and taking actions that catered to the tournaments at the expense of the players.

Edited by DramatistDreamer