OLTL Discussion: Week of July 16th

• Members
Welcome_to_Llanview.jpg

Welcome to the One Life to Live Discussion Thread for the week of July 16th, 2007. It looks to be an interesting week involving Starr/Cole, and the OPP. Hope you enjoy your visit and are prepared to discuss the interworkings of Llanview, PA and OLTL. If so, then you're in the right place.

So let the discussion of the good, bad, and ugly that is Llanview, Pennsylvania & One Life to Live begin...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh dear God...I am watching the "25 Things You Didn't Know About...TV Soaps" on the TV Guide Network, and they just talked about the recent Prom Night Musical storyline on OLTL. They had Kassie DePaiva talk to Frank Valentini about it, and he said that he thought the audience responded well to it, and they may try to do it again next year. :blink:

I mean, come on, it was okay the first time.....but they don't need to do it again anytime soon.

BTW, he also talks about the scrapped teen hostage storyline.

• Members

Goodness, well my only request if it happens again is for next one to be two days tops and don't involve/focus it on Cole (he looked so awkard singing and dancing, I couldn't stand to watch him at all)... the only good thing that was decent is that they didn't take out a whole show or two for it. Doing the whole prom thing again too would be boring, so find another subject... and maybe involve some of the other cast.

• Members

My worst fear realized. He did something that was interesting because it was different and now he wants to do it again.

The prom thing was good for about two days. It was different. Now it is not different anymore and in fact got stale on days three and four. The last thing Frank needs to do is make it an annual thing.

Frank really gets carried away with the song and dance gimmick. I'm personally tired of people on the show breaking into song and ending shows with a montage of songs. He does it so often, it's become trie.

It's interesting that the muscial worked so Frank said it was his idea and was great. When all the crap explodes, he says he has no voice and is not responsible. I agree, Frank does need to go.

• Members

In terms of musical theatre put on within shouting distance of Broadway, Prom Night was nothing short of awful. It was about the quality of someone's small town high school theatre, acceptable if we had watched these kids grow up and could be proud of their effort. My preteen daughter gaped, then laughed about how awful the 'Together' video was when I showed it to her. However, in OLTL terms, ratings did go up about .1 or .2 for those days - a moderate success for something I thought would be a complete flop. It was a change of pace from Dena's dark and dreary drama, and well-publicized. Should they try it again? Maybe for one special episode next year, not almost a week, and not with the teens.

• Members

Someone needs to make Tuc Walkings come back full time, whatever it takes. He is so much fun. I can't believe Bo and Clint can't figure out that David is their brother. Will it ever be revealed? They should have done it before they let PC leave. Well, they never should have let PC leave, but since they did.

I wonder if Miles will be redeemed or if it's too late. I like him with Natalie, but it seems like they want to turn him into another Spencer. :rolleyes:

• Members

I definitely agree about Tuc Watkins and about Bo & Clint not being able to figure out that David's their brother.

I don't see how crazy Miles can be redeemed. I definitely don't want him near Natalie. I want him dead, dead, dead. They've already ruined Miles and so ONE LIFE should just axe him.

• Members

While I am delighted that so many favorites will be returning for Asa's funeral, it's hard to get all wrapped up in a story about a guy that hasn't been seen on screen until April. I still have hope that RC can take whatever stories he's going to have dumped in his lap and execute them better than his predecessor, this just makes no sense to me. I don't understand why they couldn't at the very least have given PC some kind of extension. Everything that's coming up, would be heightened by his participation. It's just stupid to me.

It appears that David will be revealed as a Buchanan around the time of Asa's funeral, after Tuc is no longer on screen. By people who haven't been on screen in years.

Clint and Bo talking about how it would kill "Pa" to go to prison for contracting David to kill Spencer, but no confrontation with "Pa".

I just don't get it. All this third party behind the scenes stuff makes me crazy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like Miles and I still think he can be redeemed. Everything he's done is like a kid trying to stay out of trouble only worse. And the spector of Spensuck over his shoulder just adds to his desperation. I love his interaction with Natalie -- the creep factor fades tremendously. I like that he can be good hearted but that his detachment from reality (which makes sense given his back story) gives the potential for him to slip at any time. He really doesn't see anything wrong with blackmailing Marty into marrying him. That makes it sort of interesting. Unlike a villain who does horrible things and just doesn't care who gets hurt. Miles does horrible things and either he just can't see that they ARE horrible or he is so desperate he doesn't see any other way out of his problem and thinks anything he does in the name of self-preservation is excused. Twisted yes. But it's somewhat sympathetic.

• Members

Apparently PC left. When they wouldn't give him a new contract, he said he wasn't coming back. Erika's newsletter made it sound like PC didn't want to work anymore, but I think it was more of a contract flap. Anyway, there was no option for OLTL to finish these scenes with him. He said no contract, no Asa. Personally, I would much rather the character die then just disappear. I do think it's bad that they could not work something out.

• Members

I will never understand why a short-term contract couldn't have been worked out - it's not like a four year contract is any guarantee of anything beyond three months anyway. Even if they have Asa die offscreen, all the action concerning Asa taking place offscreen is tying the writer's hands in a huge way, not a good way to usher in Carlivati - and all the immediate story surrounding his death (if he isn't just once more faking it...and ALL things are possible, if not likely) they could still use a few 'flashbacks' to tell the story. I realize PC's health is most likely still not the greatest, but I'd still think he'd want the character to end on a high, dramatic note - my guess is that it was more than a 'flap'. His stance on not working without a contract was well-publicized. It was hardball, but the fans and the show are the losers in this powerplay.

• Members

I disagree with you. I think bringing back all these people is a great way to usher in Carlivati. I think there will be flashbacks of Asa. They really have no choice in this. I don't know why a short-term contract could not be worked out either, but I doubt PC would have signed on for a very short time just to kill of his character. Out of respect, I think they should have tried to come to some kind of agreement with him.

However, I don't think having him die offscreen is that big a deal. Now that the decision has been made, I look forward to the funeral. If Asa is no longer on the show, then I prefer that he be killed off and that it launch other stories.

Archived