April 30 - May 4, 2007

Toups

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But that's the thing. People's ideas of what "good ratings" are will have to change because that is quite possibly what is happening. Ratings don't count all the different ways people watch television. The norm now looks to be around a 2.3 or 2.4 and as ridiculous as it sounds, that might have to be considered "good" for an audience who watches the shows as they air.

• Members

Exactly. Also, Rick brings up an interesting point. Primetime ratings are down as well. I know one of the AI producers mentioned how he beleives moving up daylight savings time hurt ratings for Idol because if you get some nice weather you will see outdoor activities become the norm much faster. I have to wonder if that is playing a role in the ratings for everyone. There have been so many negatives across the board for both daytime and primetime. Hell, even Idol lost viewers in March after having huge numbers it's first 2 months. There is usually a drop off after the early rounds but when you see alot of other primetime shows going down too it makes you wonder. I know there were alot of hiatuses but still.

Ratings for all of TV are dropping and it makes you wonder if the networks have to start changing their views on what is a good rating for their particular shows. They may be thinking much higher then they should be thinking as there are so many choices out there for people to watch and you also have to consider the weather and so on.

• Members

Ratings aren't the bottom line. The bottom line is all that counts. In the case of the Soapnet soaps, they have network airings and Soapnet airings so multiple chances at revenue. Not sure how that works for Days since NBC has nothing to do with Soapnet but definitely helps the ABC soaps the most. CBS does a lot of online stuff with commercials added in and I'm sure the other nets do too. More and more the shows have to come up with as many revenue streams as possible. The network airing and these ratings aren't the only ways to make money.

• Members

I noticed that when NBC.com aired behind the scenes stuff for the DAYS Green wedding, they often showed a 30 second commercial before the actual clip. I'm not sure how much revenue that pulls in but it's an alternative source nonetheless. Soaps need to tap into the online market whenever possible.

• Members

I'm glad you brought that up. I've been thinking about what the "norm" is supposed to be. I mean how many viewers were watching ATWT or Y&R in 2000? 2003? 2005? I'd really appreciate it if someone has that information or could direct me to a place that has it. Although it might kill certain people I think 2.3-2.5 is probably going to be average and if we go by that ATWT is at least doing okay in my book. That by no means is perfect but hey its not Passions...

ATWT can definitely do better and I expect them to in the upcoming months due to a variety of factors. I don't think Gwen/Will is the problem. Nor do I think vets are the solution.

Bottom line is sustainability to me. Can networks continue to air soaps in a way thats both profitable to them and producing high quality entertainment for the fans without getting rid of classic things that make each soap special? Such as the furor over the John and Marlena set thats going on over in that other thread...is that a sign that soap needs to be let go? Or are people overreacting? I personally am torn. On one hand I want to say, "its just a set". But some sets do hold significance. Like Fairwinds and The Farm on ATWT. I'm also very fond of Java and Al's for some strange reason...lol. Last but not least I'd love a storyline to involve Metro again.

• Members

For most networks ratings are the bottom line. Adveristers pay money based on ratings and the SoapNet airings are a complete seperate thing as our the online promotions. Since I'm betting advertisers pay far less online and a lot of time one product hosts an airing or whatever it may be.

Archived