April 16-20, 2007

Toups

• Members

I didn't really see that post...

But some of us are past the point of optimism. Look at those numbers for DAYS! I just can't believe that the show is in THAT bad of shape. I always thought that when DAYS left us, it would have far better ratings than what it does now.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I looked into the issue of DAYS being moved around by local stations:

On Jan 15, DAYS was switched with PASS in the Chicago market. This area has the 3rd highest share of Nielson viewers in the US.

On April 9, DAYS was moved to the 3pm slot in the San Francisco market. This area has the 5th highest share of Nielson viewers in the US.

DAYS now airs after PASS in the Tampa market (not sure when this switch was made). This has the 12th highest share of Nielson viewers.

The other top 20 markets:

Unchanged in NY

Unchanged in LA

Unchanged in Philadelphia

Unchanged in Dallas/Fort Worth

Unchanged in Boston (affiliate)

Unchanged in Washington

Unchanged in Atlanta (affiliate)

Unchanged in Houston (affiliate)

Unchanged in Detroit (affiliate)

Unchanged in Phoenix (affiliate)

Unchanged in Seattle (affiliate)

Unchanged in Mineapolis (airs at noon) (affiliate)

Unchanged in Denver (affiliate)

Unchanged in Orlando (affiliate)

Unchanged in Sacramento

• Members

I didn't mean to imply that NBC was solely responsible for DAYS ratings. I didn't say that DAYS would be #1 on another network but I honestly believe that had DAYS been following Y&R or GH it would be no less than #3. I have no problem laying the difference between #1 and #3 at Corday's feet but to say that it's writing that has caused this slump is unfair.

Who releases cancellation news TWO YEARS EARLY? At the very least this info should have been withheld until after Passions left in Aug. because (as I understand it) legally Corday can't even approach another network to take DAYS until Sept.

I hate to speculate on why NBC did what they did because frankly, the only reason I can think why they would do it makes me want to vomit.

All I have to add is that I think DAYS is doing an amazing job right now. If people would only watch it through sweeps they will see the difference and maybe Corday would have a chance at finding the show a home.

• Members
you guys on here are funny.Zucker has not said officially that DAYS is Cancelled...No where did he say it yet you guys are putting dirt on the grave!Stop!STOP!!!!!!!!!!! Yes days is bad at the moment although its showing a little promise.If you think days is a done deal off of nbc and even other networks why are u watching? and commenting endlessly on how bad it is?!

• Members

I'm feeling yah on that one. All the bashing and negativy is not helping matters at all. Not to mention I have no idea whats wrong with Days. Whether or not its because John, Marlena, Bo, and Hope aren't on 24/7 or because they think EJ is on 24/7 or Sami is still up to old tricks I just DON'T KNOW. I sometimes get the feeling that no matter what changes are made it still won't make people enjoy the show. Same thing with ATWT which I think is doing a fine job and is my #1 soap both in quality and loyalty. I guess its a double edged sword though. As much I would like to say, "Don't tune it and don't complain" that might make the ratings go even lower. Also if you don't complain the quality can get even worse. However I'm enjoying both Days and ATWT and I think they're only going to get better as the months go by. I think the only time I was frustrated with ATWT was during the, "Paul keeps Johnny away from Jennifer" storyline and only because it was so shocking to see that evil side of Paul. Plus there were so MANY times the truth could have come out but instead it was hidden.

Bottom though is that Days does need help and hopefully the return of Stefano along with the constant improvement and higher quality of writing/storylines will bring back viewers to Days. As for ATWT I won't comment since besides the whole, "Gwen is on too much" complaint I don't see any other problems with the show.

• Members

I think ATWT has become stagnant under Passanante. She seems to have little in a way of vision for the show.

At the same time, I think ATWT is the one soap with the most potential for a resurgence once a decent writer takes charge. The vets and history are all still there, all it takes is for a writer to exploit it to the fullest.

• Members

I don't think I have ever complained about the quality of DAYS, I have never called DAYS bad, not out of blind loyalty but because I genuinely enjoy the show.

Zucker said Passions was cancelled and that it was unlikely that they would pick up DAYS past 2009. IMO what difference would it make if they kept DAYS or not past 2009? DAYS will be a single soap on NBC starting Sept. Is one show a daytime drama lineup?

As much as people like to disect a single show sometimes the lineup has a bigger impact than the actual SLs on the show, which is why I want the show to do well enough for Corday to find DAYS a new home on a network that actually respects soaps and the people that watch it.

Examples:

The few people I know that still watch B&B only do so out of habit and because Y&R is the lead in.

There were YEARS that I only watched OLTL because it was wedged between AMC and GH etc.

BTW someone pointed out to me that Corday produces DAYS in association with SONY and that SONY also co-produces Y&R...

At the bottom of the Y&R page:

http://www.theyoungandtherestless.com/show...on_credits.html

A SONY PICTURES TELEVISION PRESENTATION

in association with

BELL DRAMATIC SERIAL CO.

and

CORDAY PRODUCTIONS, INC.

I have no idea if this means anything but it can't hurt to have SONY in your corner.

Personally that is one company I would not want to mess with.

I have strong hopes that SONY and Corday can find a place for DAYS.

• Members

Are you serious? Are you absolutely, 100% serious?! You honestly believe that people complain about their soaps simply because they got the idea from someone else? Are you KIDDING me?!

Do you not realize that here at SON, you are in the company of people who have watched some of these shows for their entire lives. Years. YEARS of devotion. DaysFanJean has been watching "Days of our Lives" since 1967. That's 40 years of watching that show. Oakdalelover has been watching ATWT since 1971! That's over 35 years! The people of SON have been invested in this genre throughout all of its good points and bad points. And that is why it is so HARD for people to just accept whatever the shows give out today.

It's not a matter of one person complaining about one thing and then other people echoing them to be cool. It's a matter of long-time, veteran viewers who share common complaints about the shows they once loved!

Nobody tunes out of their soap just because of "something they've been told." That's such a blatant insult to the millions of people who have turned some soaps off because they were no longer identifiable and no longer at all the shows they once knew. You think SteveFrame quit watching AMC, OLTL, and DAYS last year because he, a man who started watching all three of those shows when they are at their complete and total best, heard what others were saying? He didn't need other people to tell him that his shows were no longer his shows. He had only to look at them and see that they were not the same.

And what do you mean, nobody is giving these shows a chance? Again, I ask, are you SERIOUS? Do you not see the pages-long threads for almost every soap that pop up daily? You're acting as if people are complaining about shows they are not watching. Do you honestly believe that a person who has invested 20+ years to watching a show is just gonna bail just like that just so that they can bash it for no reason?

Nobody who is complaining is missing out on "great" shows. They are still watching shows that are hollow shells of what they once were. At my young age, even I can remember how great and fun it was to watch soaps when my grandmother back in the 1990s. And that was only ten years ago. It's ridiculous for someone to tell me that I only complain about these shows that have been in my life forever and that I've learned and read and researched so much about simply because I'm jumping on a bandwagon.

• Members

1st off theres no need to attack me. No one least of all me was trying to attack YOU. I'm telling it as I see it. I'm absolutely serious about people complaining for the sake of complaining in SOME cases. Times change. Things change. Its inevitable. Some of you want them to not change however and thats impossible. I've already acknowledged that some soaps are in less than stellar shape. However I don't think thats a reason for everyone to say that they're all horrible because of reasons A-D. As for soaps being their best back in the day I'm sure thats the general consensus among longtime viewers but I happen to find a lot of the newer stuff to be more interesting. I like seeing the younger newer faces along with the middle aged group and the veterans.

2nd I KNOW that most of you have dedicated your lives to soap operas but that doesn't make my opinion any less valueable or credible. Nor did I mention anyone specific from this website as being a part of the problem although it does exist I'm sure. I've been watching ER for the last 12 years and its changed a lot too. Its lost almost all the vets on the show and the storylines have changed/evolved. New people are there. Its has a completely new face. Do I miss the old characters? Yeah...but I enjoyed them while they were there and I understood when then had to leave. Plus I've grown to love the new ones just as much and in some cases more than the old ones. Of course 12 isn't much when compared to 40 but its just an example.

Also posting a long thread about a show does not mean you're giving it a chance. Furthermore I'm referring the low numbers. Like for example ATWT could bring 5 million viewers IMO since its a great show that has a stellar cast and some of the greatest storylines going on right now. Instead its at 2.3 and I feel its because people aren't giving it a chance since they've heard so many bad things about it. I'm sure people like you are watching the same soaps everyday and commenting on them. I'm talking about the people who aren't watching it.

Bottom line is that I think only a few soaps are in trouble or need to change significantly. The others are just suffering from a variety of issues and not all of them can be blamed on the head writer, the producer, or whoever it may be. I'm not claiming to have all the answers nor did I say I was an expert. But I do think some of the complaints are completely ridiculous.

• Members

The 800,000 viewers that have deserted DAYS since January haven't tuned out because they've "heard bad things" about the show. One does not need to be told by others that there are 10-15 unfamiliar faces on the frontburner and that the stories are moving at a snails pace. That info can be gleamed from watching five minutes of any episode since Feb.

And while I do not think the show is deserving of a 1.9, anyone who says it's "wonderful" or "fantastic" right now is setting the bar way, way too low. It's not like TPTB have made a few minor mistakes that posters are obsessing over. They have made serious, potentially fatal errors at a crucial juncture in the show's history. Pretending that these don't exist or dismissing the criticism as just people "complaining" does not make you a more loyal viewer than the next person. It's just sticking one's head in the sand. It's true that some like to rant for the sake of ranting. But most of the criticism is from people who genuinely care about their shows and want TPTB to take action before it's too late.

• Members
I wish i could shake your hand!!!!!! You are right.Days has lost viewers becasue of bad storytelling and putting newbies on front and center.As i said before how can Hogan have sat there and make this decision to write off the big four and ken corday allow this to happen??!! It makes no sense! I resent the fact that They did this! And people say its becasue of announcement by kevin reily?PLEASE! My ex girlfriend summed it up for me the other day:They dont want me as a viewer anymore.They have put all these new characters on the show.Its like a new show.I respect the fact that its their show and they can do what they want.But they have to respect that if i dont like what i see and can turn off the tv"..And she has!

• Members
i hope they find a place for days...I have been watching since 1982......But not to be a pain but zucker never said its highly unlikely that days wont make it past 2009..people are drawing conclusions because of what he didnt say..Look.The bottom line is this:Days and the rest of the soaps needs to give viewers great drama and a well balanced show..It isnt hard.but the writers,ep's seem determined to give only four or five characters a story and let others just whittle away.All soaps are suffering because of this....Look at the ratings.

Archived