Days - Why is it doing so poorly in the ratings?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think EJ being on as much as he is has anything to do with it. The problem is he is interacting with the same characters over and over. If he was interacting with the big 4 and others, it would be fine. Most of the complaints have been about the balance, slow pacing, and lack of the big 4 which goes hand in hand with the balance issue.

• Members

It's not the quality of the storylines (for the most part) that's the problem. It's primarily the balance and pacing that has thrown the show off. The only characters we see on a regular basis any more are mostly new or relatively new, and they're being put in front burner storylines that aren't even moving at a decent pace. But mostly, I think it's the fact that we're not seeing the vets in these storylines. I really think that if characters like the Big 4 were put in similar storylines as these, the ratings would not be this bad, but instead, viewers are tuning in and everytime they're seeing Nick, Chelsea, Willow, E.J., etc. characters that they are less familiar with and have ultimately decided not to bother anymmore. And the little comment from Asshat Zucker sure as hell didn't help matters, either.

• Members

Too many faces changed at once. While I enjoy lots of the characters on right now, the overall picture is a lot of change in a short amount of time. Lots of imbalance.

The day to day writing is not perfect, though better than before; most importantly, while the dialog is snappy and entertaining it isn't too deep. There is a lot of attitude but little heart.

There is no follow-through, poor resolutions and such a non-event quality to all the plot points. Nothing ever feels like a big deal so the viewer doesn't know what to invest in. (Kayla almost dies! Oh but next scene she's all fine and dandy ... huh?) Plots and emotional developments go from point A to point C without touching on point B and that doesn't help either.

Soooo much redundancy! Redundancy = stagnation = boredom.

• Members

This is exactly what Hogan did at ATWT. Start really hot giving fans what they wanted, then once his spot was cemented he proceeded to bring on tons of newbies, teens and backburn all the major stars you never expected him to backburn. He's done the same exact thing to Bope/Jarlena that he did to Tom/Margo, Lisa, Lucinda, etc.

I highly doubt Corday is micro-managing a four time Emmy winner, this is obviously what Hogan does based on years and years of examples. And I can't see Corday, a life long DAYS collaborator, saying to backburn all the major characters and fill it with newbies. That doesn't make any sense.

Even if it were budget problems you could solve that by having different people on each day, less people per episode, etc. This is just Hogan repeating all of the mistakes he made at ATWT. He's arrogant and does what he wants.

If DAYS is going to be saved the fans need to keep demanding what they want and Corday needs to get Hogan in check.

• Members

I think the problem, at least for me, has been the lack of screentime for Bo/Hope and Marlena/John. The thing is that they could have easily have been involved in all of the stories that are going on right now. I think the show has been 10 times better than it was with JER. At least, we no longer have 20 million triangles going on and the wrong people in relationships with each other. I liked the idea of Shawn and Belle going on the run, but they haven't been involved with their parents at all since they have been gone. Either they should have moved it along faster, or they should have come up with a way to involve Bo/Hope and Marlena more often. Bo/Hope should have also been more involved in Steve/Kayla's story. Their story has been 10 times better this week, because Marlena, Sami, and Bo/Hope have been involved with them. Marlena should be involved in the Sami/Lucas story. John should be out of his coma. We should be seeing more talks between Kayla/Hope, Bo/Steve, Sami/Marlena, Kayla/Caroline, Sami/Caroline, etc. I like the stories and the characters and I love the new couples Chick and Mabby. We just need more family involvement and faster stories.

• Members

Less to do with the storylines than the fact that uncertainty over Days' future has led viewers to believe it isn't worth investing their time in the show anymore. Did anyone predict that Passions' cancellation (as much as that show has been derided by many- and often rightly so) would trigger this kind of domino effect on Days and all of Daytime? On the other hand, if Guiding Light for instance would be cancelled instead then it would carry far more powerfully symbolic significance.

• Members

In my opinion, too much Steve, Kayla, Shawn, and Belle. Both stories are boring, played out and on every day. Not enough Bo, Hope, John, and Marlena. I was so hoping Days would overtake B&B, but for me Days has become very boring. I tape every day, but only watch 1 sometimes 2 episodes.

• Members

Why are the ratings so poor?

Because the show does not capture the viewers' collective hearts, minds or imaginations.

Everyone is right about the lack of balance (zero vets) and slow pace but there is more. While Hogan has made the characters berable and the show watchable, he has not increases the intensity of the show. Case in point- Lexie's exit. There is no follow-through. No cause-and-effect. No momentum.

The show is written like a ball of string hanging from a chair that a cat is batting at. It swings around and around but eventually it is going to call of the chair and get ripped the shreds. What the show needs is an anchor. Something to capture the imagination of viewers. It is presently and consistently absent.

• Members

I miss "the look" that John gave you on camera during one of those ever so classic, full of tension and drama Days episodes. You know the one I'm talking about. The abnormally raised eyebrow that just made you feel creeped out but made John so dead sexy...lol

As for vets I appreciate them an all but I don't really care one way or another to be honest. Some vets ar good and necessary. Others not so much. I love Hope and I think Kristin Alfonso is one of the most beautiful people on Daytime right now even at whatever age shes at right now. Same goes for Marlena. So I do want the Big 4 back but I'm not gonna die if they don't come back.

P.S. Do Hope and John have a child together?

• Members

Yes, that too. One day Lexie's there, the next day she's not. It was a big plot point to have her crash her car and disappear, but they've gone noplace with it. Abe and Celeste don't appear to care in the least. It's just like, "My wife/daughter has disappeared. Have you seen her? Oh well... pass the gravy, please."

Same for Kayla removing John's kidney. That was a huge plot point that should've been built towards and played with a heartracing dramatic pull. Instead, it just popped up out of nowhere (no dramatic build) and when it actually happened, all we saw was Kayla walking behind a curtain, then walking out saying "job's done!" Hell, we didn't even see Drake Hogestyn! Then we were cheated of Marlena's reaction to it all... it just fell flat. The story moved along by having Kayla do the deed, but we were cheated of actually seeing it get from point A to point B to point C. We just moved from point A to point C within a commercial break, and that's a ripoff. Soap viewers need to see the action unfolding, rather than just being told that it all happened off-screen. We need 'the moments.' And when we don't get the moments, we naturally lose interest and emotional connection... and it's all downhill from there.

Archived