"Passions"/4th Hour Today, History Repeating?

• Members

Forgive me is this came up in the lenghtly "Passions" cancelation rumor posting. I read most of it but not all 2000 pages lol

When I read the news reports of NBC considering adding a 4th hour of "Today" which would result in "Passions" cancelation, I asked myself didn't this happen before?

NBC premiered "Later Today" which in essence was the 3rd hour of "Today" in September 1999, I'm almost certain NBC made a deal with the affiliates give us the 9-10am timeslot for "Later Today" and we'll go to a two soap line-up, so if that was the case "Sunset Beach" was canceled for the 3rd hour of "Today". I don't believe anyone really considered the link at the time since "Later Today" was already on the air when SUBE cancelation was announced. But remember in Sept 1999 a lot of affiliates dropped SUBE, in reality NBC made their decision before the offical announcement allowing the affiliates to drop SUBE or move to sucky timeslots before the final air date because it was a done deal "Later Today" took over the 9am timeslot, and the affiliates got SUBE's timeslot and NBC let them choose how to air the final months of the show.

So if anyone thinks a 4th hour of "Today" won't effect "Passions", history indicates differently. The affiliates would have to give back an hour to a network that has a sucky track record to have a 4th hour and "Passions"

which decision to do you believe they will make?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, according to a newsletter one of the members (can't remember who) receieved a letter, email, or whatever from one of his/her local stations saying Passions was not being cancelled for a fourth hour of Today, and the Fourth hour of Today would be in anothet timeslot. The letter also said Passions was being cancelled for low ratings.

I am hesitant to believe it though....I'm gonna wait to see if it's true.

• Members

Later Today flopped...badly. But that was different because it was, essentially a different show with different hosts. From everything I've read, they want Lauer and Viera to host this, and it would be just an extension.

• Members

They want Lauer and Vieira to host the 4th hour? Would they give the two of them a break before they hosted the 4th hour? Because Vieira doesn't do the 3rd hour. Right?

Anyway, I would MUCH rather watch Vieira and Lauer re-do Regis and Kelly over watching the pathethic Rosie scream her lungs out on THE VIEW(central time zone here).

• Members

That is good news! If they aren't cancelling PSNS for Later Today: Round Two then that means they still have to replace it with a new soap. Or give the timeslot back to affiliates, but I really do believe NBC will end up with only one soap. They don't care to try with their soaps.

Yes, Vieira doesn't do the 3rd hour of Today, I can't imagine she'd do this new show. It really does seem like overkill. The Today show already has pop culture news, musical guests, actors, etc. which is exactly what this show will have. What is the point?

• Members

^^I've also heard that they are looking into getting Billy Bush to do the fourth hour. It's just going to turn out to be an hour-long daytime-version of Access Hollywood...ecspecially if they want to still try and appeal to the same demos... :angry:

• Members

Isn't the point of the Today Show to watch while you're getting ready for work/school? Who's going to watch it past then? And do you really think homemakers are interested in watching 4 hours in a row of the same thing? I don't know about you, but when I'm home in the day, I watch Regis and Kelly at 9, Ellen at 10, some of the View at 11, and then my soaps. I need a little variety.

• Members

I doubt a local station would ever start to explain to a viewer the complex world of network television.

NBC knows once it gives an affiliate a timeslot its very hard to get it back. Obviously "Passions" low ratings is the main factor for a cancelation but why didnt they cancel it two years ago?? Two years ago and even last year there were no plans to replace it with anything. this year NBC has plans to expand "Today". It makes sense to cancel "Passions" now, NBC simply switches timeslots, the network gets the 10am slot, affiliates gets the afternoon "Passions" timeslot. If NBC canceled "Passions" last year, and not replace it with anything, it would be much harder to convince affiliates to give NBC the time for a 4th hour of TODAY, now NBC has something to offer them.

• Members

If I remember correctly, Later Today was one of the early reasons mentioned in Another World's cancellation. When AW was cancelled in March (going off the air later that May), NBC was already planning Later Today. Later Today was cheaper to produce than other types of programming, and would hopefully benefit from Today's ratings.

The rumours at the time was that eventually NBC would move to a 2-soap line-up. The first soap would be cancelled to make room for Passions. Even though Later Today premiered a few months before Sunset Beach went off the air, it pretty much sealed Sunset Beach's fate. Affiliates who didn't want to give up an hour of programming dropped Sunset Beach in favour of Later Today, which they hoped would have higher ratings). The lack of affiliate support meant a huge drop in Sunset's ratings.

• Members

DAYS can last on its own. I will admit it doesn't look good when a network has a one soap lineup. Probably means they want out of the soap bizz, but as long as DAYS is good, PSNS being cancelled will have no impact on the ratings. None. What is NBC supposed to do? Keep a failing show on the air so they can have a pretty successful one on? They're losing money on PSNS. There's promise for DAYS, which can still bring in the ratings when the writing is good. PSNS being cancelled bears no meaning on DAYS' cancellation except that NBC is probably not as committed to having soaps on as it once was, but does it mean it will be the end of DAYS? No.

Archived