Y&R Discussion: Week of January 8

• Members

Why is Amber still on this show? :unsure:

What was up with the guy hitting on Colleen at Indigo? Has he been on before? That was kind of weird.

I get that it's Cassie's birthday and all, but was it really necessary for Nick to throw that perfectly good toaster across the room like that? Anger is not Joshua Morrow's fortay (sp?).

Sharon and Jack make me SICK!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The ratings rose so much last year that even when it drops a little it's still not that big a deal. Here are the most recent ratings so you can have an idea of how well the show is doing:

Y&R

Tuesday 4.6

Wednesday 4.3

Thursday 4.5

Friday 4.0

That is six million viewers for Monday and around 5.7-5.8 for Tuesday and Wednesday. Friday is probably due to the holidays, B&B also hit (what I believe is) a record low with a 2.7. But the 5.7-6 million range for Y&R is up from the 5.3-5.5 it was getting when Jack Smith left. That is a victory for Latham! :)

Now if CBS would promote their daytime lineup in primetime, I do believe it could rise above the six million mark. People say soaps are dying, but Latham has proved that it's not true with her ratings turnaround for Y&R. With promotion soaps would not be in the state it's in.

• Members

Well Nikki is written as a bore and has been for years. Nikki and Bobby were hot yes and I would have enjoyed that storyline, if they hadn't dropped it. I do remember the days where I did get enjoyment out of watching Nikki, back when the writing for her was really good and of course good writing can make most B actors come off as A actors from time to time but when she isn't getting any decent writing (i.e the last few years) you see her come off as a B actress. Melody Thomas Scott is in the same field as Susan Lucci, Deidre Hall, etc. Household names and forever linked to their respective shows and legends in their own right but certainly not the most talented ladies in dayitme, never have been and never will be. However when given excellent writing, all three of them are emmy calibre actresses.

• Members

No way is Melody Thomas Scott in the same field as the other two. See that is why I said she is entirely underrated because people don't know just how good she can be. I guess Michelle will be a B actress then by your assessment because she was very boring until she got good material. Personally, I think Melody has been rocking the Supporting role this year.

• Members

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 8 2007, 06:33 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The ratings rose so much last year that even when it drops a little it's still not that big a deal. Here are the most recent ratings so you can have an idea of how well the show is doing:

Y&R

Tuesday 4.6

Wednesday 4.3

Thursday 4.5

Friday 4.0

That is six million viewers for Monday and around 5.7-5.8 for Tuesday and Wednesday. Friday is probably due to the holidays, B&B also hit (what I believe is) a record low with a 2.7. But the 5.7-6 million range for Y&R is up from the 5.3-5.5 it was getting when Jack Smith left. That is a victory for Latham! :)

Well, if your going to use that week's numbers, than you can also attribute the usual holiday/vacation spike around this time of year. Also, here are Jack-ass Smith's ratings for the same week last year from the archives:

Y&R (Dec. 26-30, 2005)

Monday: 4.7/5,994,000

Tuesday: 4.5/5,787,000

Wednesday: 4.3/5,640,000

Thursday: 4.4/5,683,000

Friday: 4.1/5,488,000

And here are the ratings comparisons for the last few weeks reported in the mags:

Nov. 20-Dec. 24: 4.1 (-.1) Score Jack-ass Smith

Nov. 27-Dec. 1: 4.1 (+.1) Score LML

Dec. 4-Dec. 8: 3.9 (-.4) Score Jack-ass Smith

Dec. 11-Dec. 15 4.0 (-.2) Score Jack-ass Smith

I know it's only a few weeks and unfair to judge, but it appears to be a trend of declining ratings for the LML-helmed Y&R.

• Members

The 3.9 is from when Y&R was preempted and hit a 3.7 for that day. December was a slow month, but since those first few weeks the ratings have rebounded very nicely. A few bad weeks in December after a year of rating highs is not a big deal. It should also be noted that the other soaps did poorly as well during this time. And most importantly, things are back on track so it's all moot.

ETA:

Here are the ratings for the week of the Dec 18, the first after the last you posted.

1. Y&R 4.3 (+.2/+.1)

See, thats an improvement over the previous year. And the week after that is up a well.

• Members

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 8 2007, 06:53 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The 3.9 is from when Y&R was preempted and hit a 3.7 for that day. December was a slow month, but since those first few weeks the ratings have rebounded very nicely. A few bad weeks in December after a year of rating highs is not a big deal. It should also be noted that the other soaps did poorly as well during this time. And most importantly, things are back on track so it's all moot.

Well I don't think it's all moot and I still say it's a trend that will continue. Mark my words. And don't you see the ratings for the comparable holiday week that I provided. Score for Jack-ass Smith and there's no excuses there.

• Members

Michelle is one of the many females on Y&R that has more talent than Melody Thomas Scott. Phyllis has become boring but Michelle still most definately brings something to the table. I just am stating my opinion and glad that you are stating yours.

• Members

How is it a trend that will continue when the next two weeks have seen increases? The ratings for Y&R have been mostly positive, not negative so I don't see how it's a trend. Especially since the show is in a creative upswing as well.

• Members

It's hard for me to compare actresses on Y&R, because there characters are all so bloody different. Some actors you can just tell, but Phyllis and Nikki are two entirely different characters. I don't get why people always seems to be down on Melody when she does nothing to warrant it. And I'm not saying you have to love her.

• Members

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 8 2007, 07:05 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is it a trend that will continue when the next two weeks have seen increases? The ratings for Y&R have been mostly positive, not negative so I don't see how it's a trend. Especially since the show is in a creative upswing as well.

We haven't even seen the ratings beyond the holiday week, so I don't know what you're talking about there. And as for the creative upswing, that's all your opinion.

Anyway, my point wasn't to prove that Y&R ratings are down, but to show that it's just as pointless to say that it's up. So, LML no longer has the ratings as an excuse for that crap she spews on the show.

• Members

Good :lol:, because simply I don't. You are obviously a fan of Melody Thomas Scott and I am happy for you that you can get immense enjoyment out of her acting as wallpaper. Because that is all she has been the last few years. I however cannot, especially when I am not high on MTS to begin with. If Latham decides to make Nikki the character she was when her and Diane had the feud, or when her and Jack lost the baby or when she was about to do the nasty on the couch with Bobby, then and only then will I get enjoyment out of the character and MTS's portryal. As it stands right now, you could take Nikki out of the stories she's supporting and you'd never know the difference. Victor's revenge against Jack.... sure its partly about getting Nikki back NVP, but no one cares about that, they care about seeing Victor take Jack down... VICTOR, not Nikki. So you could take her out and no one would care.

Kay/Jill.... she is just there to harp on Jill because she is Kay's friend. Nikki came off shred and pathetic in those scenes. What Nikki? Jill is supposed to be calm and polite after she just heard her own mother stole her son? Like please :rolleyes:

Its all about the writing unfortunately, and the writing currently for Nikki quite simply sucks LOL. That's my whole point really. And the writing is showing Melody Thomas Scott as the B actress that she is. Wow you've got me going here :lol: I guess because it upsets me because I know Nikki can be a worthwhile character... as she has been through history and MTS can make you care about the character in the right situation, just not seeing it now.

Archived