Y&R Discussion: Week of January 8

• Members

No arguments here :lol:... I don't think Latham cares for the character of Nikki at all. She is just playing a supporting role in a few stories, she hasn't had a story of her own since Latham took over anf you know what, that is fine by me. Nikki was not needed for that Kay/Jill reveal at all. She actually took away from it.

I think the Katherine/Jill storyline is staying true to both character histories. This story will get Katherine and Jill at odds with each other again which in my mind is part of the very fabric of Y&R's rich and colorful history. Making them mother and daughter I think was the worst mistake the show ever committed. Lynn isn't reversing that, she is just diving into the past to bring something in to counter act it and in my mind its a smart move. Y&R has changed alot with Latham's influence across the board and at times I have had problems adjusting, but the current stories going on right now intrigue the hell out of me and I am excited to watch everyday. It may not be Bill Bell's Y&R but it certainly isn't the garbage some people make it out to be, not from my viewpoint anyway. Of course people have the right to think its garbage, just like I have the right to think ATWT and GH are garbage. We all have differing opinions which makes discussion here so grand. Which is why I am getting sick and tired of the constant back and forth bickering between a few posters. Its getting so old.... just because someone possess a different opinion than yours does not give you the right to attack them. I wish some posters would understand that LOL. I understand when your passionate about something tensions get heated and I am guilty of it too but... at the end of the day what does it accomplish. I come to SON to have intelligent discussion with people and for the most part that happens. Its very discouraging when every other thread I open all I see is a constant back and forth fight between certain posters. And its the same ones all the time.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eh, I'm not crazy about her, either. I liked her back in the day, when I was a little tyke and my mom would watch. I always thought that she was so gorgeous and she had the most beautiful hair.

She's so dull anymore, though. Melody Thomas Scott is a good enough actress. She does very well with the crying scenes. I think she plays Nikki too strong sometimes, though. I'd like to see her be more of a pansy, LoL

Really though, she's just snoozeville to me. Her and Victor both, as characters and a couple.

• Members

But MTS always gets the short hand of the stick. Jack Smith was the only one who seemed to give her something to do, but that amounted to nothing. I like Nikki and wold love to see her do a story on her own. Melody has truly grown as an actress.

• Members

Nikki is a bore. Melody Thomas Scott IMO is a B actress in this industry and nothing more. I am not saying she has no talent, but she is far from being the most talented actress on that cast. In fact I'd rate most of the other female actors on Y&R ahead of her.

• Members

MTS always gets the short end of the stick because Nikki is a BORE. There's a reason for it -- a damn good reason.

Then again, Colleen's a bore too and she hogs up airtime. Same with JT. So, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, I suppose.

• Members

I am fully aware of Kay and Jill's history. Believe me, I've done my research. I've read the summaries from the 70s-present. I've watched the clips. I get that they hated each other. And I also understand that they are at their best when at each other's throats. It's Kay and Jill. However, the story, itself, minus the chemistry and history between Kay and Jill, is ridiculous. I have no doubt in my mind that Bill Bell would never have allowed this story to go on. It just came out of left field almost. After 20+ years, Kay suddenly begins having dreams and then all of a sudden, she remembers switching babies? :unsure: That's such a DAYS move and it's a total spit in the face to Y&R's richness in daytime.

LML could have done a better storyline if all she wanted to do was revisit the Kay and Jill feud. Bring Chancellor Industries into the mainframe. Have Kay inadvertently give away Jill's shares or something and then that would spark up a rage in Jill. Then, Jill would go behind Kay's back and could possibly end up gaining total control of the company and Kay feels betrayed. There you have it, good old fashioned family/boardroom drama that Y&R is famous for. I thought of that in 3 minutes. LML, how long did it take you to pull this story out of your ass? :angry:

• Members
Killing Phillip, much like making Kay/Jill related is listed as one of Y&R's biggest mistakes. Why wouldn't he want this story, especially since it makes perfect sense given their backstories?

Y&R could be just as campy as DAYS, if you see the clips on YouTube. People buried alive, catfights that put Dynasty to shame, people locked in cages, etc. This is a very simple story using the history of two characters. B&B was uber praised for their two week story about Stephanie's past which was a total stretch. This story could be written by Bill Bell with Latham's name and people would still complain. There are things not working I'll agree, but this? Definitely not one of them. They've done a good job of building the story, it makes sense and it'll be nice to have another Chancellor back in the fold. But Latham rarely gets credit when she does things right.

As for Katherine just starting to remember, I don't think this is too out there either. Nikki just remembered killing a boy during her childhood and everyone raved about the story. MTS and the show were robbed of Emmys. Of course, if Latham was writing it it would be called crap as well and so "un-Y&R." People block memories out, that is a fact of life. Throw in that up until 2004 Kay was a regular drunk and it's even more likely.

BORING and it wouldn't work because Kay and Jill's feud has always been personal. Chancellor Industries has never played a major part in the show until recently. These two needed something that would hurt them at their core and ruin the awful "buddy-buddy" relationship thrown on us. This is classic Kay/Jill and should do the job perfectly. This is one of the most logical uses of backstory I've ever seen on soaps. I could understand if you think it's poorly written, but the actual story idea makes sense and that is my main point.

I'm Team Latham/Cooper/Scott/Walton here! This story rocks! :)

• Members

Melody Thomas Scott is a B actress? Hells No. And just because she isn't the most talented actress means she should get reduced airtime? Let me just say that once upon a time this show was an ensemble, and Nikki was a part of that. And Nikki isn't a bore, she just gets stuck in boring storylines. Nikki and Bobby were HOT. And look how THAT ended?

• Members

Okay, believe that. And in about a month or two from now, you let me know if you feel the same way. This is exactly how Brad's storyline started. Interesting devling into a character's past, and then BAM! LML strikes!

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 8 2007, 05:53 PM)
Killing Phillip, much like making Kay/Jill related is listed as one of Y&R's biggest mistakes. Why wouldn't he want this story, especially since it makes perfect sense given their backstories?

Y&R could be just as campy as DAYS, if you see the clips on YouTube. People buried alive, catfights that put Dynasty to shame, people locked in cages, etc. This is a very simple story using the history of two characters. B&B was uber praised for their two week story about Stephanie's past which was a total stretch. This story could be written by Bill Bell with Latham's name and people would still complain. There are things not working I'll agree, but this? Definitely not one of them. They've done a good job of building the story, it makes sense and it'll be nice to have another Chancellor back in the fold. But Latham rarely gets credit when she does things right.

Note: Not comparing LML to Bill Bell

Ya, but Bill Bell's camp rocked, and it wasn't nonsensical. It was the 80's and things were very over-the-top and out there, I personally loved it. One of the best thing that Bill Bell ever did was the Kay/Jill feud and Jack Smith went on and [hghJGwb] it up. Granted I'm over that, but the aftermath was so awful, that left the overall story in a not so good state.

• Members

If the story falls flat, I'm right there with you! I don't blindly love Latham, she's not even my favorite Knots Landing writer! But when something is working, I'm going to give her props. This is working and if it fails like !!RELIQUARY!! I'll call her on it. But I do think the show in general seems to be in an upswing so it's very possible that this could remain good.

Gloria's downfall is coming, Phelia rocks, Phyllis has her personality back and David Chow is sure to spice up Carmen's murder. I don't have many complaints for Y&R right now, sans Not!Lily and the vapid Amber/Colleen story.

I'm not comparing the two either, but people act like it's so outrageous for even the slightest campy moment, good or bad. Y&R is not, I repeat, not a traditional soap. It is known for CHANGING the daytime genre, not being complacent.

Latham has so far shown that she does good camp, IMO. Phelia, Dru putting Carmen in a headlock, bitchy dialogue (Victoria's STD's), etc. I missed the camp and I want more! B&B needs it's camp back as well.

• Members

And so lets just go back to Kay and Jill feuding by having a drunken Kay selling baby Phillip? STUPID!

And then I didn't care for Jill's taking of the news either. She was suddenly gung-ho to find her son. B*tch, are you forgetting about the child you raised, the one that died, the one that you LOVED?

Archived