Why Bill Bell couldn't let SHEILA go !

• Members

From Soap Opera Weekly Vol.3 Issue 23. June 9, 1992 :

"I've been captivated by the character of SHEILA almost from the begining - not only the concept but the actress as well - KIMBERLIN BROWN. As the story progressed, I became more infatuated with the character, which only bore out the sense of loss I felt when the story reached its peak with the fire in the farmhouse."

Since the charred remains of the unfortunate meter reader were thought to be SHEILA, Bell had a character who was still alive... "I was faced with the reality of bringing her back to Genoa City...once someone saw her, she'd have been arrested...it seemed a dead end. I thought about it - I labored over it for weeks. I got to the point where Kimberlin's contract was up. I said that we wouldn't be renewing. It bothered the hell out of me...then out of nowhere I was hit with a thought that just boggled my mind. What if she goes to Los Angeles (B&B's locale). So I called Kimberlin and told we had nowhere to go (with Sheila's story on Y&R). She said "My husband and I felt that way too." She's so talented. She was so sorry to leave the show. There's one alternative I said, What if you were to go to Los Angeles?........Kimberlin was just in heaven. It was fun to see. She was as euphoric as I was."

My point in posting this ? If a character and actress are hot enough to the point where you just must take her to another show so she can go on... come on people. KIMBERLIN BROWN = SHEILA to me, to countless fans worldwide, to Kimberlin and to her creator, the late Bill Bell.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still cant beleive that the only way for us to see Phyllis as a scheming biyatch is for her to be Sheila. WTF? Why cant these lazy writers just write Phyllis the way she should be written and leave Sheila out of it. I wish they had just left Sheila in limbo

• Members

I have to say that moving Kimberlin's Sheila to B&B was the smartest move Bill Bell ever made. My mother and I started watching B&B because of her in 1992 and although I stopped watching B&B on a regular basis in 2001, she is more interested in B&B than Y&R.

So many people would like to hold Kimberlin responsible for the Sheila flops her last times on B&B and Y&R but it was the writers who let her down. Sheila could have come back to Y&R reformed and had a real storyline, but Jack ass Smith was more interested in seeing her as a stupid villian propping up Tom Fisher than a character with a future.

• Members

Okay, what's the point? Bill Bell eventually did let her go. And his hack son destroyed her. Not seeing anything new here at all. The thing is Bill Bell didn't need to depend on a cheap gimmick like Sheila to run his show. Bill Bell's greatest accomplishment was Jill Foster Abbott!

• Members

Moving Kimberlin's Sheila to B&B was definitely one of Bill Bell's best career move. I too started watching B&B when Sheila went over there and still watch B&B regularly while, Y&R I have only watched off and on since '92.

• Members

This is a recast of a longterm character who has spanned two soaps.

I am fully aware of how many times each soap potentially jumps "a" shark, but this is a character who is possibly responsible for keeping both shows in their top two positions over the years. No need to be so condescending to me unless you know something I don't. And if you do believe you know something I don't, please share it with all of us.

• Members

I repeat: No need to be so condescending to me unless you know something I don't. And if you do believe you know something I don't, please share it with all of us.

And I'll spit something out too.

Sheila (Kimberline) has been around for how many years? HOW MANY? If I'm not mistaken, all of her tenure except for the last travesty, has been ratings gold.

Ummm, where is Bernie Mack? WHO is Bernie Mack?

Archived