Y&R: Question about Lily recasting...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The lack of Lily is clearly due to the backlash. When it was announced she was returning they said they were reshooting Davetta's scenes and Lily had a big frontburner story with Carmen's murder. When the backlash hit this was dropped and Lily was removed from Carmen's murder.

Most people blame Latham for this, but I don't think she ever wanted Khalil back. She's the one who cast Davetta and she changed the character so much that she obviously felt something was wrong. My guess is that this came from the higher ups who were around when Khalil first appeared. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lily written off again because the writers are going through great lengths not to use her or involve her in family scenes.

• Members

If it wasn't LML didn't want her back she needs to stop with I like the orginal, She the real Lily, & she a big fan of CK. Because that's not helping her case. Personlly I hope they do get rid of Lily as long as CK is in the part.

I'm happy they not showing Lily. I always picture Victoria Rowell in a strong mother & daughter duo & i just don't get that from how CK plays Lily.

• Members

If Latham didn't want her back, she wouldn't be back. It's the EP's job to do the hiring. She obviously wanted the original Lily back and that's why Christel was brought back. Whether she hired, Sherwood or not, when the chance to have Khalil back, Latham jumped. If anyne's to blame it's the hack!

• Members

Actually when she returned one of the writers mentioned that the show, not Latham, was trying to get Khalil back from the moment she left. If she wanted Khalil back and truly loved her she wouldn't have written her out of every storyline she was in. They don't even put her in family scenes anymore. Of course she's going to say she loves her, what do you expect? "Oh I hate the bitch, she couldn't act to save her life!" Sorry, but that is never going to happen no matter how entertaining, lol.

Most people blamed Latham for the changes like no flower shots, faster pace, etc. and we found out that Steve Kent, Bill Bell Jr. and Barbara Bloom were responsible for all of that. Latham may be EP, but there are people above her who also make decisions.

• Members

I blame Loony Lynn! She's like a disease spreading all over the show. She's a piss poor writer, has no follow through on her stories, and makes me long for Jack the Hack Smith. I blame her for the loss of the wonderfully charismatic and sassy Davetta. I blame her for the valley goat that's on my screen. Right now, unless I'm mistaken, she seems to have all the hiring and firing power on the show. Look at what the loon did to her own character, Carmen.

• Members

Well you can call her hack, you can call her loon all you want, but all I am thankful to Lynn for is making me a fan of Y&R again. Under Smith I could not stand the show. It was technically good but nothing clicked for me.

I love Lynn Latham. I don't like everything she has done, but I think she is doing good stuff. I like that she is taking risks with some things too. Giving a 70 plus year old woman a lead story is a great risk, but it is the best story on daytime right now. I'll take it over the serial killer story at AMC, all the shooting and rape at Days of the last few days, the boring stuff at ATWT, etc. etc. Katherine's story is good and good drama.

• Members

Great post Steve! :)

She has a very well respected co-executive producer who most soaps would kill to have right now. Plus like I said Steve Kent, Barbara Bloom and Bill Bell Jr. have a large part in the changes being made. They're the ones who initiated them and hired Latham for heavens sake.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 2 2007, 06:48 PM)
Great post Steve! :)

She has a very well respected co-executive producer who most soaps would kill to have right now. Plus like I said Steve Kent, Barbara Bloom and Bill Bell Jr. have a large part in the changes being made. They're the ones who initiated them and hired Latham for heavens sake.

Thanks Chris B.

Like I said I love that she is taking risks. Fans have said for a long time they want someone to come into daytime and not do the same old same old stuff and give us something new. Well Latham is doing that. She is not going down the same old path that all producers and headwriters before her have done. She is making mistakes. Some things are working and some things are not. It is a process.

I find it funny that she is being called hack and loon while Hogan Sheffer is being called savior. I love Hogan a lot and he has improved Days, but I don't see him taking any risks. He is following the same old pattern. He resurrected Stefano DiMera just like almost every other headwriter at Days has done. He is following the same old pattern of super couples keeping the same couples together that have been together for years. It is working right now because they were apart, and now are reunited. But it will come a time when he will have to split them up or backburner some of them. He has to at ATWT. Already he is copying stories too such as EJ forcing Sami to have sex with him which has been done on Days before and numerous other soaps. And the Billee/Nick stuff is a copy of the Molly/Chris stuff from ATWT.

I am not saying that Days is bad because of all of this but I just wanted Hogan to take more risks and do some things different. It has been disappointing for me because of his lack of doing that.

All of Latham's stuff is not gold. But for the most part they are different. She took a big risk with the Sheila/Phyllis story. So far I am liking it. Michelle Stafford is wonderful so far. It is some ways an old staple because it is the big bad villian returning but she is putting her own spin on it.

The Brad story has not been very exciting but at least it is different. I don't remember any soap going this route. I just hope it gets more interesting.

And as I said the biggest risk is giving Katherine a lead story, and then stating who the principals in the story are going to be. Gasp they are all going to be characters over the age of 50.

She has made Y&R a must for me. Sure she has angered some fan bases - the Kimberlin Brown ones, the Davetta Sherwood ones, but I give her props for taking risks.

• Members

Yes, I seem to remember thinking the same thing at the beginning of Brad's story, at the beginning of Carmen's murder, John's death... hmm, I'm seeing a pattern here. The stories start out great, but then... you know. Katherine will be no different sadly.

• Members

Drew, I don't think all of her stories have been flops. Only reliquary stands out in my mind. Carmen's murder is still in the early stages and I'm enjoying it. Of course Devon didn't do it, but I love seeing him in a frontburner story for a change. Plus with Vincent Irizarry on the way the story will only get better (I hope). I think John's death and the fallout was an absolute success giving us Gloria/Will/Jill and the emotional journey for Jack. I don't like they way they portray Jack as a villian now, but overall it's worked for me. I also though Victor's story and Sharon/Nick/Phyllis was well done.

The only way Katherine's story will fail is if the guy playing Phillip can't act. So far they've got it right with the perfect secret and a good build up, I don't see how they can fail. I'm also loving the Phelia story which is working on all counts. It's integrating Paul back into the cast, giving Michelle Stafford some dynamite stuff to do and it's a very clever way to bring back Sheila.

Honestly, beyond the reliquary, I think the show is back on track and back to being classic Y&R. I think Latham looks at what fans want and (sans reliquary) tries to give it to us. Now I hope that our bitching about the Abbotts will give them a boost this year.

I think Hogan is as overrated as it gets. He wrote a decent show (at times), but it wasn't ATWT. He had no regard for the history of the show and the way he treated the vets was shameful. Writing off a 30+ year vet with no exit scene is ridiculous. Then Eileen Fulton had to bitch to the magazines just to be on once every few months.

At DAYS Hogan has brought the show on level playing field with the others, but I agree that he's very safe and has copied a lot of stuff from his ATWT time. In order to enjoy DAYS you have to be a supercouple fan now. Problem for me is I hate John/Marlena, Steve/Kayla and Bo/Hope. Plus with all the exits it's hard for me to enjoy the show. I also think that he has ruined EJ by turning him into Craig Jr. Watch Hogan will have him as the super villian dominating the show forever, just like Craig. Just give him time, ATWT fans got sick of him and the DAYS fans will eventually.

Archived