November 6-10, 2006

Toups

• Members

I agree that the ratings may have been affected by the Election stuff, buttttttt I do think DAYS fans put a spin on the ratings every week so I have to agree with Evan in that respect. Or was it Greg? I don't know. Whoever.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok Steve but AMC might have done better on Thursday if not for the episode being a repeat. If everything went as it should, they may have had a larger number (2.4 or 2.5 perhaps) for that day if not for the preemption and having to repeat Wednesday. Everyone said they had a good week so that is possible so how can it be said AMC did better. We don't know that. Yes they held on to the number they had Tuesday but they may have done better for the week and on Thursday if everything stayed in place just like Days. The numbers for the week may have been held down because of the preemption. They might have gotten higher then a 2.3 for that episode if things were different. The only thing that can be claimed is that Days fans were split up between those that had the show Wednesday and chose not to watch Thursday due to a repeat and those that did not have the show Wednesday and tuned in Thursday to see the show.

Bottom line both Wed and Thur should not have been counted but they were and I am sure Days will rebound. It's unfair to compare AMC and Days because like others have said AMC had a decent week and the 2.3 might have been a low number for that episode if it was a good one. Days' Wednesday episode was nothing big so replaying it on Thursday was not going to help. AMC's Wednesday episode may have been a big one and that is why it did better but it may have done much better if not for the preemption.

Who cares-all the numbers suck :(

• Members

Phoenix it is nothing to get mad about. I said I saw the point. The point I was trying to make that if one show can maintain and another can't that there has to be more to it than just the episode repeat. You can't just excuse the rating being bad and say well it would have been this or that without that happening.

And I agree that AMC's episode might have been better if they hadn't lost that day. Who knows - we will never know now. I would just rather see people look at the actual episode and say this may have been the reason some people didn't want to watch it twice rather than just excuse and say it was because of the preemption. Especially after another show that was affected the same way was affected the same way and maintained.

To me and no one has even brought them up, the one that was affected the most by the preemption was Bold & the Beautiful. In a large part of the country their show only aired for 5 minutes on Wednesday. CBS counted that day for them, and did not air that episode the next day. They went back to viewing as normal. They have that crappy 2.9 thrown in for Wednesday, but still they were able to maintain the same rating from last week.

And I agree all the numbers suck.

• Members

Phoenix I agree with everything you have said.

Also I have never tried to "spin" anything regarding DAYS' ratings...this is the only week where their drop can actually be attributed to something that was outside of the show's control and is ABSOLUTELY to blame for their drop (and this is whether or not AMC dropped, stayed the same or gained or whatever...I fail to see how AMC has ANYTHING to do with DAYS drops or whatever, if AMC fans chose to watch a repeated episode or whatever DOES NOT change the fact that DAYS still went down and I don't think the argument being used is very strong AT all!)

• Members

I think that there are several reasons why Days ratings have not rebounded yet.

1. JER did major damage to this show and many viewers tuned out almost for self-preservation. I can't count how many times I would tune out in disgust over what I was seeing on my screen. I firmly believe these viewers won't be back until you prove to them long-term that Days is capable of writing good exciting stories. Hogie is a great writer and given time can probably write stories to lure these viewers back in the long run.

2. The permanent departure of the J&J fan base. True, many of these fans have left in dribbles and drabs over the past two years with Jack constantly dying and all. But Matt's final firing (and let's face it - the show could have kept him - for the Steve story at least) got rid of the final die-hards. I am no longer watching Days on a regular basis. If Matt comes back, I would watch but right now it is just too hard and just easier to give up on Days. This also negatively impacts the Steve/Kayla story because many of their fans were J&J'ers as well.

3. The anger caused by the sudden write-off of Austin/Carrie. Now, I have never been a fan of them but they do have a strong fan base. I know that many of these fans are probably angry they were fired and written off.

4. The slow plodding style of the Steve/Kayla story. This was the one story that could have hooked new viewers and kept old viewers but the story has been so darn slow and unsatisfying that it has been a major disapointment. And could someone give Billie her own love interest. Why is she stuck with everyone else's sloppy seconds.

• Members

Excellent points Irish. Seeing the rise in ratings at their return, I definitely think you are right with the 4th one. The others are valid too, but #4 really is. As I have said they created such a buzz around the show, but it fizzled when their story went nowhere. You can't bring a major character back, create a buzz around them, and then let them trod along.

Archived