Nip/Tuck's last season?

Toups

• Administrator

With Ryan Murphy's booming movie career and new shows in development, this could be Nip/Tuck's last season.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=16954

Ryan Murphy on Nip/Tuck

Source: Heather Newgen October 12, 2006

While patients on the hit show "Nip/Tuck" are all about changing their appearance, the dramatic series itself might be in for a few changes of its own.

ComingSoon.net caught up with the show's creator, producer, director and writer Ryan Murphy who just directed his first feature film, Running With Scissors, and he talked to us about his uncertain future with the series.

"I don't know if I'm doing 'Nip/Tuck' again. I don't have a contract past this month so I don't know what I'm going to do," he said. "I have a couple movies in development. I have a couple of TV shows in development. I'm getting ready to start a production company. I don't know what I'm going to do. This year has been such a whirlwind for me with all this stuff and I feel so appreciative. I don't know. I don't know what I want to do. I know I'm doing this Meryl Streep movie with Annette. I know that I'm doing that so I think I'm going to direct that next fall."

That doesn't mean he's willing to hand it over to someone else just yet, however.

"Never, are you kidding? I don't know. I don't think they'd want to do it without me. I say that only because I've asked them. It's a hard show. It's a tone poem. It's very much about my point of view of the world. Maybe. I would love it. I would love it if some of the other writers would do it and I'm not saying I won't. I'm saying right now I don't know. I love the show. I love the people on the show."

Although Murphy still loves the show he created, he knows the audience hasn't exactly been happy with the direction he's taken it.

"I think if you do a television show particularly, it's difficult to have everybody love everything. I always think that this show is probably going to run for six, seven, eight years. It's like a marriage. Not every year in a marriage is fantastic. Some of them are really bad or difficult. And you learn things and I learned things. I learned what the audience loved and what they didn't love and what I loved and what I didn't love and I tried to make them mesh this year and as a result, this is the highest rated year we've had. 94% critical raves I think which we've never had, so I learned a lot from that and it's all about that. It's about okay, I hear you and I'll try and fix it but it was never hard. It was sort of fun because it's a challenge and it was like okay, I'm excited to prove that I can do this."

And if you've had the lingering question like we have about why Christian gave Carver the perfect alibi instead of setting him up, Murphy was happy to explain.

"They had compassion. I don't know. I think they did. People hated that last year. A lot of people, they thought it was too much. They thought the fun had gone out of the show so this year I was really conscious about okay, no more gore, very little gore, a lot more comedy, a lot more sex and even if you do something like the Jackie Bisset organ harvest, you do it with a wink. The show has always had a sense of irony about it... I don't know, the whim hit me. I knew they'd end up on the coast of Spain getting away and continue to carve people. I don't know. It's just what I wanted I guess. I know it doesn't make sense."

Murphy explained that while Carver will never be back, there is still a criminal element.

"Well, Jackie Bisset as an organ harvester, is there anything better than that? And I didn't tell her when she signed on that that's what's going to happen to her so now she's appalled and loves it. But Jackie Bisset in an Yves St. Laurent trench coat going on an organ harvest. No, it's not because it's not nearly as graphic. It's not nearly as scary I think as that Carver stuff was. I didn't want to do anything that was serial killer-esque and none of Jackie's patients die. They all recover. But the show is about gothic elements. It's an overblown pastiche about stuff like that and I always say that every season is only as good as its villain so it's a medical story that's kind of crazy but I love that."

Although the multitalented director isn't sure about what he wants to do as far as working on the show, he definitely knows he's reached an audience he never thought he would.

"I had such good luck this year on my television show getting calls from people like Catherine Deneuve who want to do my show who's never really done TV that I'm like, 'really?' but she loved it and she's a fan. People like Nicole Kidman want to do the show and yet these movie stars that are fans of television, they become hooked and they love the storytelling."

"I think Catherine called and she said, 'Next time you're in Paris I'd love to see you.' Conveniently, I arrived two weeks later. I was going to go to something but I was like even if I just get to sit in a room with her because I've loved her for so many years and she did not disappoint, but Nicole I'm doing this movie with and she said, 'Will you please write me something on Nip/Tuck? I've never missed an episode.' I said, 'Are you kidding?' and then I thought I'm going to bring back that Virginia Wolff appliance if it kills me. They're very sweet and they're great fans of the show so to have people you admire like your work, whenever I do anything like this movie or that TV show, I always think, 'Well, no one's ever going to watch this. It's never going to get picked up.' And then it does and it's shocking."

You can see Murphy's latest project when Running With Scissors hits theatres October 20th.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

If Ryan's not coming back, don't bother with another season.

He's going to be directing a movie in 2007 and he just signed on to direct/write another movie titled "Set to Eat, Pray, Love" staring Julia Roberts.

Plus he's development "4 oz" for FX.

Doesn't look promosing for N/T. :(

Archived