Dexter: Discussion Thread

Juliajms

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Late to this discussion but I'm glad others agree with me--so much about this season sucked. I really think the show should just end, LOL. I admit, I enjoyed many moments and never found the show a chore to sit through but...

The incest stuff with the worst shrink on TV (yes, that's even with Ben on American Horror Story)--as convulated as it would be I'd almost appreciate it if somehow the shrink was suggesting Debs loves Dexter in that way so she wouldn't turn Dexter in, but it's still icky and makes no sense (Deb has the worst love life, but c'mon Dexter first obviously has, foster sibs or not, a true bro/sis bond with her and second he barely pays her ANY attention anyway),.

This review from the New Yorker was written a few weeks before the finale so doesdn't address that but I agree with EVERYTHING said in it (by Emily Nessbaum).

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Yeh, it is tough to see Deb spiral downwards to the point that she murdered LaGuerta to protect Dexter. Deb had her insecurities, but she was always a goodhearted person who always tried to the right thing. She got sucked in by Dexter's darkness. She tried so hard to protect him that she kept blurring the lines until she could not see any boundaries at all.

Jennifer Carpenter was amazing in that final scene though. Watching her desperately torn about what to do and then, breakdown after killing LaGuerta was great work. So many mediocre tv actresses get praised, but few could pull off that scene. I hope this is her year for an Emmy.

• Administrator

I was shocked too when Deb shot LaGuerta. Yeah, what a downward spiral Deb has gone through from the first episode of the season to the season finale. Agree about Jennifer Carpenter. She's underrated and has been great all season. I was glad to see Doakes again. That guy always made me laugh his swearing - just the way he says it. LOL Well, next season will be the last one. Can't wait for it.

• Members

I always had a love/hate relationship with Doakes mostly out of fear that he would catch Dexter, but it was good to see him and his "motherf'ckers" again. LOL! Now I wish that he will still alive. I think that he should be the one to final catch Dexter.

I am really looking forward to next season now. I think that Dexter ends up getting the death penalty for the one murder he did not commit, LaGuerta's. However, I would just as pleased if he, Deb, and Harrison are able to leave Miami as a family. I cannot help thinking that Matthews will have a role to play in getting both Deb and Dexter off. However, I could be completely wrong there.

• 9 months later...

Archived