Dexter: Discussion Thread

Juliajms

• Members

This show is on Sundays at 10 pm. Just wondering if anyone else watched and what you thought of it? I really thought it was pretty good, if you like dark comedy. I love Michael C. Hall (David, Six Feet Under). He's doing a great job playing the part of a "good" serial killer. I'm looking forward to finding out more about what happpend before he was adopted to make him turn out this way. I also like the relationship between Dexter and his sister and his girl friend Rita.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. I think the Dexter character is being written well so far. I like the flashback scenes between Dex and his adopted father. That sceen where he was around 10 or so and said he hadn't killed a person because "I thought you and Mom wouldn't like it" was so sad. Like he didn't have his own conscience, but cared just enough about his adoptive parents approval not to want to disappoint or hurt them.

Then the scene where he telling Rita about how the killer they are after is an artist and he grabs her thigh. I almost felt guilty for laughing at that, but the writters are doing a really good job switching from drama to comedy.

• Members

I just saw episodes two and three (on Demand) and this show keeps getting better. They are doing such a good job of blending comedy and drama. Dex is so sweet to his girlfriend, but you can just tell he has no idea how to relate in this type of relationship. They are doing a great job on the set-up of the "ice truck killer" mystery too.

It still gives me a little bit of the chills when he's around Rita's children, but it's so obvious that he adores them (as much as he's capable) and wouldn't hurt them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

This is such a great show!!

It reminds me of Veronica Mars with its season long arcs and single episode stories.

I really like Dexter's flashbacks. They give so much insight into his character.

You guys should give this show a try. You won't be disappointed. :)

• Members

I love this show so much, I can't get enough. This last episode when Dexter was dancing with Astor and took her splinter out was really cute. Then he let that boy go when he realized he hadn't just killed for sport was good too.

That killer side to Dexter is never far beneath the surface though. Just the way he told that kid he would break his neck gave me the chills. And when he just stood there with that little smirk on his face, holding the shovel while that drug deal took Rita's car, yikes. You could just feel Dex wanting to rip that guy apart, but not doing it because of what his Dad had taught him. Then later when he said to Rita "clearly, he had no idea who he was dealing with" :lol:

Michael C. Hall is just doing such a good job. There are times when he looks like a completely vacant sociopath. Then times when you get this little glimpse of who he might have been if he had been raised by the Morgan's from the start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm like a week behind, so I just watched episode 4. This show just keeps getting better. I loved the way they showed Dexter being unfeeling and sort of bratty as a child. Basically not caring about family pictures. Then slowly learning to fake it. Then in the last picture of Dex and his Dad, it's actually Dex who wants the picture. To make his Dad happy I think.

I also loved when they made it seem like Dexter would kill the dog (or possibly the dog's rude owner) that was barking all night and keeping the kids up. Then you see the dog in Rita's convertable and she gave it to those two little girls to "rescue" it.

Not sure, what I think of the Ice Truck Killer, but I'm glad Dex didn't take the bait and kill the guy the killer left for him to finish off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For those who watch the show there's some good news. Dexter has been picked up by Showtime for another season in 2007. I'm glad because it's one of my favorite new shows.

This weeks episode was another good one. The ice truck killer pulled up the body of the coyote from last week and put her body back at the original crime scene. I thought it was odd that the forensic team couldn't tell she had been dumped in the ocean. Maybe they mentioned it and I missed it. I'm sure she was only there a few mins, but still.

The flashback scenes where teenage Deb felt left out when her Dad wouldn't take her on hunting trips with Dex were good. It kind of shows why she wants to be a good detective so badly. She didn't realize her Dad was spending more time with Dex because he was teaching him how to become a better killer.

I wonder if Dexter wll have to tell Deb the truth at some point.

• Members

I have throughly loved this show. It makes you LOL while actually cringing at the things Dexter is doing or thinking about doing. He seems so sad at times when he looks at Rita and her kids as if he wishes he was normal and had a real family. He is so funny when he is trying to figure out if or how he should react to Rita's sexual come-ons. Typical male response here, girls!

I have throughly feel in love with this show. It has enough twists to keep you tuned in and the best feature is that it is on on different nites so you don't miss it. Dexter seems so sad sometimes when he is with Rita and her kids. He is LOL funny when he is trying to figure how to react to feelings that he should have( or thinks he should have) in a certain situation. His compassion comes thru when he handles the Angel situation- taking Angel to his home after discovering that Angel and his wife are seperated but that Angel hasn't said anything to his fellow workers. Hope it stays on long enogh to show us why he is the way he is in more detail

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Omg. I can't believe Deb's boyfriend is the ice truck killer!! I did kind of suspect him, given his line of work, but I wasn't sure. The love scene between Rita and Dexter was hot.

We got a peek into Dexter's childhood too. It was just a flash of him as a little boy. Not sure what was happening. I saw blood, but I don't know if it was his or if he witnessed a death. Hopefully, we'll get more next week.

• Members

This week was really good. Well, I say that every week, but this week was especially good because we leared more about Dexter's past. He's bio Dad was alive all along. The Ice Truck killer just killed him, but Dexter doesn't know that. I wonder what Dex will do with the fact that Harry was lying to him that whole time? And why was Harry lying?

My first thought was that the bio Dad killed the Mom in front of Dexter. Which would explain young Dex sitting in that ocean of blood, but if so how did he get out of jail? Seems like bio Dad must have done something pretty bad if the Morgans kept his existence a secret. I doubt it was as simple as him not wanting Dexter.

I loved that Rita stood up to Paul. She was ready for the bastard this time. I was really afraid she would fall back into old patterns, but she lured him into her bedroom where she had a baseball bat waiting. :lol:

I felt really bad for Deb when she was crying because of the whole situation with Dex's bio Dad. She wanted so bad for Dexter to hug her and tell her he loved her and she's his family, but he just doesn't get it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

^^ I've made that same wish several times. This show is such a guilty pleasure. I had a big smile on my face when Paul called Rita a skinny [!@#$%^&*] and told Dexter he didn't care who he had to hurt, than wham Dexter knocked him out cold right there. Those scenes where Dexter was trying to get rid of the body before Rita or the social worker came into the kitchen were hilarious. A little part of me wanted Dex to just end it for good, but making sure Paul got life in prison is good enough. I guess. :P The scene where Rita found out Paul was back in jail was so sweet. She looked so relieved. I finally figured out where I'd seen Rita before. She's Darla from Buffy/Angel.

The scene where Dex passed out in the blood was good (although gross). He seemed so vulnerable. I think vulnerability and humor is how they've made this character likable.

I'm thinking Rudy must be Dex's half brother. If what Dex is seeing is really a memory he shouldn't be able to see himself. Maybe he's really looking at his brother and the memory is jumbled. There was a guy in the blood. Maybe Rudy's father. I'm thinking Dex's father killed the mother and Rudy's father, although that begs the question how did he get out of jail in his life time? Insanity defense possibly. Maybe Rudy's father is the killer and the other guy was a new bf.

Poor Deb. She keeps trying to reach out to Dexter and he just doesn't get what she wants from him. Meanwhile Rudy is moving in on her. I hope at some point Dex will make some kind of connection with Deb, if it's not too late.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I can't wait for the finale tomorrow night. Rudy proposed to Deb. She was so happy and then of course he revealed himself to be TITK. :o Dexter and Rita are on the outs because he told her she should tell the kids Paul's a wife beating drug abuser. I wonder if they'll get a chance to make up with whatever is going to happen tomorrow.

Archived