The Plan to Save Days 2013

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ITA! I miss all the fun schemers and villains DAYS used to have in the past. I watched a random episode from 1996 the other day and it was full of different schemers: Stefano, Peter, Kristen, Vivian, Franco, Sami. But now, the long-term villains like Stefano, Victor, Kate and Nicole have all been neutered. And Tomlin/Whitesell's own villains (Owen, Dean, Meredith) have been very forgettable. Ian was the first villain since Trent that I thought had alot of potential but since MarDar created him Tomlin/Whitesell quickly wrote him off.

• Members

Funny everyone saying Ken Corday needs to step down, I was just thinking the same thing. I agree whole heartedly and feel they need a stronger EP who can whip the show in to shape. Take more risks, bring back the family, heart, romance and danger to Days. I also look at GH and think Days looks so cheap and sad in comparison.

• Members

I get Ken has "final say" but do any of us really think he even knows whats going on. Truly. I feel like he is the type to want to please everyone: Sony/the fans (reboot), NBC (decazotte and tomlin) and ends up really pleasing no one. The ship is sinking and its so sad. And when there is even a slim margin of improvement (Brash/Cwikly and even MarDar were both robbed) it all gets tossed out of the window.

• Members

It's sad how Days of Our Lives has fallen down the same dark path that Guiding Light did during its final years... piss-poor budget that is SO evident, lack of a community feel because everything is so isolated, and storylines that don't pack a punch and are really just a bunch of nothing. (I must be a viewer jinx, since those 2 are/were my favorite). I don't speak much about Frank Valentini/Ron Carlivati cuz my opinion of them isn't passionate, but I'd love to see what they could do for DAYS, in both terms of storytelling and also visually and aesthetically in terms of handling the budget. (Similarly, I wonder what Paul Rauch could've done for DAYS).

I feel like DAYS had so much potential that has been squandered in the past 10 years. Up until the Reilly fiasco of 2003-2006, anything was possible in terms of what direction they took the show. Now, it's like the show is doomed no matter what they try or who they bring back, because it's written and produced so horribly.

I will watch til its final episode, but honestly overall, I feel DAYS lost its life and spirit much like GL did during its final years. I don't know if anything could resuscitate this show. Maybe there's some powers-that-be out there that could prove me wrong, but who knows if we'll ever get the chance to see that happen.

• Members

Not trying to be disrespectful, honest. But the only solution I can figure is resurrect Ted and Betty Corday from The Great Beyond along with Al Rabin and have their zombie incarnations run the show.

It's the only real chance the show has, honestly. Ken clearly did not inherit his parents' talent or skill.

• Members

THIS! So agree.

There are too many cooks in the kitchen, first of all, so it's doomed to fail on that alone.

I completely agree that the show is reminding me of GL in it's last days. So sad. It's weird too I agree with you. If I had to pick two shows that were 'my shows' it actually would be Days and GL in second. I never really posted much here about GL, the last few years it was on I just couldn't. And I was getting to that point with Days. It really feels like history repeating itself. I honestly don't feel very good about DAYS future. At all. I'm always optimistic but I really don't feel good for them.

• Members

In my opinion, Days of our Lives never recovered from Jim Reilly leaving in 1997 to create Passions and try to fix Sunset Beach. Sally Sussman held it together, but Tom Langan totally shot it all to hell by writing 'Reilly stories' without the Reilly panache. Then, every writer post Tom Langan was left trying to recreate a moment that had long passed. So they brought Jim Reilly back. Henry Slesar and Bill Bell could write two half hour shows in the 70s, but Jim Reilly couldn't write two hour long programs in the 00s, not because he wasn't talented, but because it was just too much work. Even though I will go to my grave saying that the Salem Serial Killer was pure genius up until they all came back alive.

Days of our Lives has had three distinct periods, The Bell Era, The Super-couple Era, and The Reilly Era. Everything before, after and in between those periods was just meh.

What stands out about those three eras was that Days had a clearly defined identity and purpose. A clear vision. Bill Bell's Days was messy and psychological and engaging. Even though the super-couple era was complete ripoff of GH, Days shamelessly took the format and ran with it and never apologized for doing so and in many ways bested GH at its own game. The Reilly Era was classic soap opera for a new generation. Pure soap opera bones filled with, Harlequin romance, over the top insanity, Gothic characters, and the supernatural Even people who hated Jim Reilly had to see what he was going to do next.

Days is currently stuck and has been for 16 years. The same way that it was stuck in that period between Bill Bell and the super-couples. The same way it was stuck in that period between the super-couples and Jim Reilly.

The way to fix Days is to simply do what Bell in the 60s, those poached GH writers in the 80s, and Jim Reilly in the 90s did. Blow it up and reimagine. Take the show into a whole new world and do something different, while at the same time keeping it a soap opera. I'm not saying throw away characters and history, but I am saying get rid of dead weight, tighten the show, and refocus. You're gonna piss off fanbases and like good plastic surgery, the show is gonna be bloody and swollen and bruised for a while, but the end result will be worth it. The show can be saved, if someone really wants to save it. and it is not going to happen under Gary Tomlin and Chris Whitesell, (the Nina Laemmle and Gene Palumbo of 2013

• Administrator
Perfectly said. The show has no singular vision anymore. That's why there's constant battles between Corday and NBC. Right now, NBC has all the power because all they have to do is threathen the cancel the show and Corday backs off.

LOL Poor Gary and Chris to be called that!

• Members

I'd say DAYS is in a better place than GL. The budget cuts have been severe but they can still afford to have big events (like the "Daysaster"). They aren't being run by a company and network that wants out of the soap business.

The biggest difference between the shows is that many of the people on GL still tried. Many of the actors on DAYS seem to have given up.

Archived