Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles

382 replies to this topic

#1 soapfan770

soapfan770

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

Um, so we have that ever lengthy thread on classic Y&R articles and discussion, I was wondering if we could do one for B&B? I mean the whole show is a hot mess and has been well at least since 2007/2008 and unwatchable but I'd like to think back to when I loved the show 1991ish-2006. A lot of stories liked and/or remember well have now been long forgotten like Ivana's murder and the mystery around it, Macy vs. Karen, Connor(someone mentioned him recently!) Dylan and Michael, CJ/Becky, Sly, Grant. Hell Macy was my favorite character right after Sally of course. :wub:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by soapfan770, 26 June 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#2 YRBB

YRBB

In a five star hotel, watching GH & sipping on champagne

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

How appropriate to start off the thread with that ad! It's a lot of fun.

Sigh.... the show had its problems before but something seemed to break in 2003... and it got progressively worse, until we hit 2007. And, then, it was over.

#3 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,048 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for starting this. That tagline for the ad always seemed tawdry to me, a weird contrast to how uber-serious the show was early on.

For me the show was the characters that Bradley Bell likely had little use for - Sally, Darla, Bill Spencer (killed off for no good reason), Felicia. Characters like Taylor and Eric and Donna are one-dimensional and unfortunately so are most of the people they share story with. That and the show's inability to actually develop characters or tell stories mean that they just have to rely on stunts.

I doubt I have as much as you do but I hope to post some stuff when I can find it again.

My B&B favorite will always be Joanna Johnson. So regal, and pretty, yet never the typical weepy/dull soap heroine.

Edited by CarlD2, 26 June 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#4 soapfan770

soapfan770

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

Oh your welcome Carl I'll try to post what I have. The early years of B&B fascinate me to no end. I know Joanna Johnson has had a fairly successful writing/directing/producing career in the past decade but I've always wondered how B&B would be had Caroline never died.

Uber-serious is right; After seeing clips of Macy's first scenes I was shocked by how cold and distant Macy was to Sally. Sally is all thrilled that she's back in town from school but Macy only wants money. Also the "Angela Forrester" story was so creepy and bizarre, what a strange story but I must say the actress was quite good. Odd that Sally was involved when Deveney gave her sad speech on the Queen Mary.

For the record, I thought the show was on fire from 2000-2003 but yeah it lost its steam due to some messy mistakes. 2005 was pretty good I thought, but after that its been all downhill.

Edited by soapfan770, 26 June 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#5 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,048 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Taylor basically replaced Caroline (although I thought Taylor was a sanctimonious hypocrite from early on, which I never felt with Caroline...but then, the writing was better early on), so I guess they may have had some of the same stories. I do think Hunter Tylo's exotic beauty - she was, at one time, probably the most stunning woman on TV - helped give a real contrast to Brooke and made the eternal triangle more believable.

In the long run Caroline was probably a character B&B couldn't have sustained, and she was better off leaving after a few years.

Uber-serious is right; After seeing clips of Macy's first scenes I was shocked by how cold and distant Macy was to Sally. Sally is all thrilled that she's back in town from school but Macy only wants money. Also the "Angela Forrester" story was so creepy and bizarre, what a strange story but I must say the actress was quite good. Odd that Sally was involved when Deveney gave her sad speech on the Queen Mary.

It's interesting how that story starts in one of the very first episodes (Stephanie gets a phone call and she says never to call her at home).

I wonder if it's all online. I know the story mostly because of how much Susan Flannery hated it. She said that the line about Angela's death - "she rolled all the way down 7th Avenue" - is one she used for years any time she thought a story sucked.

#6 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,932 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for starting this thread bc I have TONS of pics I want to share and have been wanting a thread like this. Almost like the AMC/OLTL tribute ones btu B&B hasnt been cancelled yet...LOL

Thats exactly how the on air promos were. VERY cheesy but I loved them

Edited by Cheap21, 26 June 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#7 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,048 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

That awful wink is always my favorite part.

The guy who played Dave was wooden but he had a presence that most of the other younger men on the show didn't have, aside from Ridge. I wonder why they let him go.

#8 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,932 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

That awful wink is always my favorite part.

The guy who played Dave was wooden but he had a presence that most of the other younger men on the show didn't have, aside from Ridge. I wonder why they let him go.

In the early clips I saw, he came across VERY generic. Unlike the other men, there wasnt anything distinctive about him visually and he just didnt seem to stand out. Very average and once Brooke entered Ridge's sphere, I dont see what use the show would have had for Dave.

#9 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,048 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

In the early clips I saw, he came across VERY generic. Unlike the other men, there wasnt anything distinctive about him visually and he just didnt seem to stand out. Very average and once Brooke entered Ridge's sphere, I dont see what use the show would have had for Dave.

I felt that way more about Thorne and Storm.

Edited by CarlD2, 26 June 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#10 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,932 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

I felt that way more about Thorne and Storm.

Storm, defeinetly but not Thorne for me. I thought he had potential with Caroline early on and thankfully they went there. Storm, I have no clue what they did with him before he was recast and put with Taylor. Did he even have a love interest early on or did he just babysit his sisters and gripe about his father?

Anyways here are some pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 soapfan770

soapfan770

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

Ridge and Caroline Ads:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by soapfan770, 26 June 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#12 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,048 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

The fever??

Those are great. I didn't realize Jeff played any of the Thorne/Caroline/Ridge story.

#13 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,932 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:17 PM

Annual Cast Shots

Posted Image - 1987

Posted Image -1991

Posted Image - 1992

Posted Image -1993

Posted Image - 1994

Posted Image- 1995

Posted Image- 1996

Posted Image - 1998

Posted Image - 1999

Posted Image - 1999

Posted Image - 2000

Posted Image - 2001

Posted Image - 2002

Posted Image - 2003

Posted Image - 2004

Posted Image - 2006

Posted Image- 2007

Posted Image - 2008

Posted Image - 2009

Posted Image - 2011

Edited by Cheap21, 26 June 2011 - 11:28 PM.

#14 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,048 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:22 PM

I remember the B&B book, which was a real labor of love, had a lot of cast shots.

Look at poor KKL rocking the Nancy McKeon dress sense in that first one.

I didn't think Michael Swan was on the show in 1997.

#15 Huntress

Huntress

Contract

• Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:40 AM

Storm, I have no clue what they did with him before he was recast and put with Taylor. Did he even have a love interest early on or did he just babysit his sisters and gripe about his father?

First Storm went out with Ridge's old flame Alex Simpson a couple of times, later he dated Kristen but she chose Clarke over him. If I remember correctly, Storm even posed as the father of Margo's baby for a short while to help Margo break up Clarke and Kristen.

I think Storm also dated Felicia briefly before he was put with Taylor. But that was of course after he was recast.

I only liked Storm during his last run when he was played by William DeVry. Too bad they never gave him a real story and killed him off. DeVry was a good actor (and good-looking too!).

Getting rid off the Spectra clan was one of the biggest mistakes if not even the biggest Brad Bell could make. I understand that Sally had to be phased out since Darlene Conley had been in poor health for quite some time before her death, but they could have easily built a new Spectra generation with C.J. as the central character. Besides, they still had Clarke and Darla and could have brought back Kimberly (I might be in the minority here, but I liked Kimberly, especially once she became evil and stalked Thorne). Another missed opportunity was the SORASing of C.J.s half-brother Mark. Not only was Michael Dietz a terrible actor, I also don't understand why they chose to make Mark a doctor. For example, they could have written a story where C.J. and Mark fought for control over Spectra.

Some more group photos:

Amber, Rick & Kimberly
Posted Image

The Forrester clan in 2000
Posted Image

Ivana, Dylan & Jessica
Posted Image

Clarke, Margo & Bill
Posted Image

Sally, Adam & Macy
Posted Image

The Forrester clan in 1987
Posted Image

Maggie, James & Lauren
Posted Image

Kristen, Antonio & Zende
Posted Image

Jessica, Sly & Jasmine
Posted Image

#16 soapfan770

soapfan770

Veteran

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

I wonder if it's all online.

Not surprisingly, it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo779K1Mp4Y&feature=related

Here's the Macy&Sally scenes I was talking about when Macy was introduced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHX6gKiCLNg&feature=related

#17 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,048 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the clips and photos.

I wonder if Brad Bell was just ashamed of the Spectras. His idea of "comedy" seems to be more along the lines of the latest scene where people tell Brooke she is a whore/Stephanie goes wild. That and Pam/Donna Duck. Perhaps he feels like he created those characters (since the Logans of today bear zero resemblance to anything Bill Bell created) so it shows how great he is.

#18 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 55,048 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

A few bits from a summer '88 Digest. Sorry about the scanner light - the other one I took down because it was a bit too much of a glare.

Posted Image

Edited by CarlD2, 27 June 2011 - 06:45 PM.

#19 Cheap21

Cheap21

K-Pop Obsessed!

• Members
  • 40,932 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

I think that needs to be updated

Stephanie Forrester:
wife of Eric; mother of Ridge, Thorne, Kristen, Felicia and Angela

Eric Forrester:
husband of Stephanie; mother of Ridge, Thorne, Kristen, Felicia and Angela

Ridge Forrester:
formerly engaged to Caroline; likes Brooke; father of aborted baby by Morgan

Donna Logan:
liked Rocco. Mother to Marcus. Was in love with Justin

Beth Logan;
wife of Steven; mother of Storm, Donna, Brooke, and Katie; engaged to Eric; grandmother to Marcus

Bill Spencer:
Father of Caroline, Karen and Bill Jr; widowed

Caroline Spencer:
married to Thorne; formerly engaged to Ridge; twin sister of Karen

All things considered, B&B wasnt too bad with the retcons. It could have been a whole lot worse like what happened wtih the Lord family on OLTL from their original inception to today.

Edited by Cheap21, 27 June 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#20 dsvd79

dsvd79

Recurring

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

I remember the B&B book, which was a real labor of love, had a lot of cast shots.

Look at poor KKL rocking the Nancy McKeon dress sense in that first one.

I didn't think Michael Swan was on the show in 1997.

I own that book! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users