The Infamous "Sinead O'Connor" incident...

bellcurve

• Members

Then still, that doesn't mean he authorized such actions. Sinead's actions were sensational and over-the-top. If she really wanted to get her message across, she could have just tore up a picture of a random priest or ... something. Not the pope, who very well could have been (and I believe) was an innocent through all of that.

And about her being a devout Catholic, I never heard that. I'm not saying I don't believe it, but I never heard that. And is that why she became a 'priest' for a Catholic splinter group? And isn't she an open lesbian? (Just throwing this out there..)

P.S. Rick, I just watched that YouTube video. (I was at work when you first posted it and couldn't watch it). So yes, I believe what you say is true, regarding her motivations for the action. But again, it was the wrong course of action. I don't think many people made teh connection. I certainly didn't, and according to news reports I've viewed and that clip you posted, apparently others didn't either.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She was raised a very strict catholic, and had great faith up until the late 90's when she started to question religion. It's in her Bio and she mentions it in her CD linear notes, and she has also stated many times in interviews and VH1 behind the music.

Yes she was controversialy ordained as a priest by the Palmarian Catholic Church and because the Roman Catholic laws do not allow women to be ordained she was excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church.

Not that it matters if she's gay or not lol but as for her being a lesbian, she came out as a lesbian, then changed her mind, and is currently pregnant with her fourth child, so she's confused about her sexuality like many others.

• Members

So your telling me that preists who molest young boys should be protected because they have "values that differ from people who chose other paths?"

Not what I am saying at all. I said that if we hated a group of people for an act that some or others in the group have done, we would have no one to like.

You do not like and tolerate what that person(s) do/does, but you do not have to hate the entrie population of people who ARE that group. That is insane.

Are people who are against abortion bad? Nope. Are the ones that bomb clinics and attack others? YES

Are murders bad people...YUP. Should we hate and discriminate against their whole family for what they did? hell no.

I hope you see my point.

Priests, hell ANYONE who does that to a child should be shot in my opinon...speaking as a child who was molested...NOT by a priest, but a babysitter. Does that make all babysitters bad? You make the call.

• Members

Well, of course, he did not authorize the behavior, but if he helped cover it up then he's just as guilty. If someone I loved murdered someone, and I found out and helped them cover it up. Should I be to blame, as well? Well, yeah, of course. I had the power to let justice prevail, and I didn't do it.

• Members

I guess my point was who has proof that the pope (not cardinals and *other* high-ranking officials, specifically, helped with these cover-ups?) This is the first I've heard about the pope's alleged involvement. Personally, I don't buy it.

Actually, no, All My Shadows. But a younger-skewing demo does. And yeah, a lot of children did, too. It was all the rage at my school. More kids watched than didn't. It's like kids who sneak into R-rated movies. Just because it's at an "adult" hour and isn't "Sesame Street" doesn't mean kids don't watch it.

• Members

I agree. But you know whatever she did that I agree with on some level, was her business and she just expressed herself. Wether I or others don't agree with it, it's still her right and they cut to commercial and many people shunned her after, so she paid for expressing her opinions-wich were her right. the thing is, she not only dislikes the Pope for that, she has said for many other things(like birth control, and one incident when a young teenager was raped in Ireland and the church still thought she shouldn't get the abortion she wanted to have, from what I remember), so it was not just for those cover ups-if they happened. Wether I liked the Pope for certain things and not for others, I really don't care if she despises him.

Sorry for adding to the topic, all done now :)

• Members

Just because you are affiliated with a religion doesn't mean you have to agree and/or practice everything they say you have to do.

I am Roman Catholic and don't practice the same things nor do I believe in the things that I'm supposed do. I believe in birth control, abortion (whether I agree or not, it's a woman's choice). I also agree with freedom of sexuality. You should be who you are. You shouldn't be afraid to like or love who you want.

• Members

I like who I like, despite their sexual preference. I'm Lutheran, and yes, I do try to live by what God sets for us, however, I'm not going to snub someone that conducts their lifestyle differently than I.

I guess for me, I just want to live my life to the fullest; especially living in a world that is so focused on someone's weight, someone's ethnicity, and someone's sexual preference.

Sometimes I think that some of us spend so much time in trying to be right, that we forget how to treat others the way we would want to be treated.

Archived