Toups

Survivor: Discussion Thread

This twist is interesting.... and has the potential to be disastrous!

I wonder if they'll do a Jewish tribe, Muslim tribe, Catholic tribe and Scientologist tribe for next season. :blink:

Sorry about some of the pictures being a big old "X". Apparently, CBS changed a few of the names to their nicknames. Anh-Tuan to Cao Boi (pronounced Cowboy), Rebekah to Becky, Oscar to Ozzy, Virgilio to Billy and John to J.P. So I had to fix the image links to reflect this. All should work now.

Oh, and to add, I believe Candice and Stephannie actually applied for the show. There should be one other person who did (17 out of the 20 were recruited).

Might be Rebecca, but interestingly enough, Rebecca is a make-up artist ... in New York ... for The View ... for Elisabeth! And she's won an Emmy for it.

I've heard the producers and casting director called former Survivors to see if they had any recommendations. According to Bob Dawg at Sucks, he recommended a lawyer, who was a, in his words "hot asian". Could it be Becky?

Damn, can they get any more people for Cali on the show. Its weird how the majority of them are from southern Cali, specifically the L.A area. I wouldn't be surprise if they knew each other.

Anyways...I am kinda surprises the are doing this, this should defentiely make people head turns. This can be good or bad, just have to wait and see what happens.

Sorry about some of the pictures being a big old "X". Apparently, CBS changed a few of the names to their nicknames. Anh-Tuan to Cao Boi (pronounced Cowboy), Rebekah to Becky, Oscar to Ozzy, Virgilio to Billy and John to J.P. So I had to fix the image links to reflect this. All should work now.

Oh, and to add, I believe Candice and Stephannie actually applied for the show. There should be one other person who did (17 out of the 20 were recruited).

Might be Rebecca, but interestingly enough, Rebecca is a make-up artist ... in New York ... for The View ... for Elisabeth! And she's won an Emmy for it.

I've heard the producers and casting director called former Survivors to see if they had any recommendations. According to Bob Dawg at Sucks, he recommended a lawyer, who was a, in his words "hot asian". Could it be Becky?

Cao Boi applied.

According to the latest TVGuide (September 4-10), the tribe names are:

Aitutaki (the Hispanic tribe)

Rarotonga (the Caucasian tribe)

Puka Puka (the Asian tribe)

Manihiki (the African American tribe)

Also, don't miss the TVGuide preview of Survivor 13, this Sunday at 8:00PM. It repeats at 11:00PM so you won't miss Big Brother.

Bumping this up for the premiere this week. Can a MOD change the title to "Survivor 13: Cook Islands - Discussion Thread" and change what's underneath the title too?

BTW, Jeff Probst will be on "The View" today!

Whoa - there are way too many people from LA and California...they should have ventured out more....oh well.

Geesh, can't they get more *real* people to play this game? <_<

I enjoyed Survivor the best during the seasons when it had people of all ages and sizes playing the game.

Probst was on The View this morning. Rosie and Elisabeth raved about the twist ... Joy hated it ... Barbara was indifferent ... It was a nice little segment and we got about a minute of what the opening episode looks like, the marooning, with Jeff's introduction. It definitely reminds me of Borneo. I loved it. Oh, and of course Rosie acted like she was still crushing on Colby.

Transcript from survivorfever.net:

eff Probst's Guest Appearance on ABC's "The View"

Date: 9.12.06

Transcript by SurvivorFever.net

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: I can't believe it's been five years since I was on Survivor but the landmark show still knows how to make headlines because this season they have separated the tribes by race. Take a look.

<Promo footage of Marooning - vidcaps updated soon>

Elisabeth: It's a very controversial Survivor. Please welcome Jeff Probst.

Rosie O'Donnell: I can't wait for this season.

Elisabeth: What's going on here with this Survivor, Jeff, because it's getting a lot of press. You guys decided to split the tribes up by race. You have the black tribe, the white tribe, the Hispanic tribe and the Asian tribe. Why, really, why was the reason this was done?

Jeff Probst: The real reason this was done, you sit in a room...

Barbara Walters: To get ratings.

Jeff: ...well you sit in a room each season and try to come up with something to refresh the show. We were getting bored. We were running out of ideas. One of the ideas that came up was, 'what are we criticized for?' We're criticized all the time for the show not being representative of America. It's too white.

Joy Behar: So put blacks and whites on the same team. That's just more diversity. Why do they have to be separated? That's so un-American.

Jeff: That was the original idea, let's just have a very ethnically diverse cast and in Mark Burnett's words, "the biggest in the history of television." It was when we started bringing people in and started talking that we realized as a group, Hispanic culture, there's a lot of pride. African-Americans, there's a lot of pride.

Elisabeth: It's like the Olympics.

Jeff: Yeah, in a sense. So we thought, 'let's complicate the show by putting you on the same group and you'll have to vote somebody out from your own group and eventually we're going to integrate you.'

Barbara: How many prejudices came out? We're they more loyal to their ethnic race than to the tribe? Was there anytime that you felt prejudice?

Jeff: You know you'd probably have to ask the 20 people because I have my own experiences. I thought the season was fantastic. I thought it was beautiful. I thought it was honest. I learned things.

Barbara: Did you mix them up later on?

Jeff: Yeah, we mix them up and we mix them up fairly early because you can't let people stay together too long or their bonds become so strong that they'll never break alliances and your show is boring.

Joy: Didn't you lose a lot of advertisers because of this concept?

Jeff: That has absolutely to the best of my knowledge been misinformation. I was told GM, for instance, pulled out months before we even came up with the creative decision. And we've got a full slate of sponsors.

Rosie: I think it's a great idea. I don't know why but I think it would be interesting to see, you know, how different groups react and whether or not there is some sort of bonding that happens.

Elisabeth: To assume that it would be a bad idea would be to assume that every single person in the group is essentially a racist. Right?

Joy: No, it's just that we fought all these years for integration and now we have segregation on television. I just don't think it's right.

Jeff: Well, here's where I get that. The initial reaction when you hear it, I understand the flinch. I don't know if this is right not but (a) you have to watch how we did it and what happens and (B) it's what you (Barbara Walters) said about with Damon (Damon Wayans - an earlier guest), "I'm uncomfortable watching that" and he said, "That's why we're doing it."

Barbara: I don't know who the winner is but if the winner is white, ummmmm...

Joy: Then what? It won't look right?

Jeff: Yeah exactly.

Joy: Is it politically incorrect or what?

Barbara: It brings up, it stirs up...

Jeff: Yeah, it stirs up.

Rosie: It stirs up the truth of our nation which is that there is a tremendous amount of discrimination still in America. Here we're going to show it to people. I don't think it's so horrible to say that we did strive for a melting pot theory but did we actually accomplish that?

Jeff: I'll tell you what is interesting in a positive sense is, for instance in the first episode there is a guy on the Asian tribe who has a massive headache. There's another guy, he's from, there's a Vietnamese guy who comes up and says, "It's called the wind. You've got a case of the wind. Let me get rid of that." He starts massaging this guy's temples and his scalp really deeply and as you're watching, this red dot forms on this guy's forehead. And Brad says, "My headache's gone." And Cao Boi says, "And the red dot will be gone - I'd say in about three days. That was a pretty serious headache." I've never seen anything like that. Eastern medicine being performed right there in front of you

Rosie: Acupressure. Yeah, it works.

Joy: If Halle Berry who has a white mother and a black father was on this show, which team is she on?

Jeff: Great question and that could be the next layer of this idea.

Joy: She's on the beautiful team!

Jeff: What we would have asked her is, "Who do you most identify with?"

Barbara: We've asked her that and she says "black".

Jeff: So then she would be on the African-American team.

Rosie: I definitely think you need a team of one person from each race who is gay and they would totally win because gay people win every reality show and let me tell you, their tribe campsite would look fabulous. And thank you Jeff Probst. Survivor: Cook Islands premieres Thursday night.

This season is a trainwreck waiting to happen. I'm going to watch and I expect to see lots of stereotypes and "stuff." Hopefully I'm wrong.

Tracie reminds me of Jase's playmate from BB5.