Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soap Opera Network Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
Weekdays at 12:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. PT on CBS.
Stream Live and On Demand on Paramount+

Y&R: Josh Griffith steps down as head writer

Featured Replies

  • Member

How about one of the Neighbours producers for Y&R, could that work?

  • Replies 373
  • Views 39.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • We do not need nor did we ask for AI generated posts in this or any discussion thread. (Not counting that wretched AI one I will never visit)

  • ranger1rg
    ranger1rg

    -- Sally Sussman's stuff was very slow, but the character writing was strong, and I prefer her in a heartbeat to anything Josh Griffith gave us. I can ignore her interviews and pathetic husband when I

  • Above all else, Y&R must return to its' roots: young people, and the challenges they face in a society that isn't anything like the ones their parents grew up in. That's what Bill Bell always int

Posted Images

  • Member

The absurd thing is Y&R and GH specifically have big production studios ultimately behind them (Sony and Disney). These companies have an immense list of talent they could pull from if they were ever serious about brining new/outside talent into this genre and fostering their expertise in it. However, for one reason or another, the daytime soaps have never seemed to be worth that type of investment for them.

Edited by BetterForgotten

  • Member
6 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

The absurd thing is Y&R and GH specifically have big production studios ultimately behind them (Sony and Disney). These companies have an immense list of talent they could pull from if they were ever serious about bribing new/outside talent into this genre and fostering their expertise in it. However, for one reason or another, the daytime soaps have never seemed to be worth that type of investment for them.

Yep. And in the end they will just promote someone from the current Y&R team and absolutely nothing will change.

  • Member

I think it's 50/50 atm tbqh. Promoting someone like Beall, etc. would not surprise me (and would depress me). But I wonder if the whispers have some merit. We'll see.

  • Member

I almost feel like if they were just promoting someone from within, it would already be announced because they’re already on staff there’s not much else to deliberate on. It’s a quick and easy (and cheap) decision.

The fact it’s almost 2 weeks since Griffith’s departure was announced feels like they’re on some type of search. But a disappointing choice is likely in either scenario, lol.

  • Member
Just now, BetterForgotten said:

I almost feel like if they were just promoting someone from within, it would already be announced because they’re already on staff there’s not much else to deliberate on. It’s a quick and easy (and cheap) decision.

Yep. So I am intrigued, personally.

  • Author
  • Member
1 hour ago, Adamski said:

How about one of the Neighbours producers for Y&R, could that work?

Why would a producer come in as a head writer, though? We're replacing a head writer not an executive producer.

  • Webmaster
4 minutes ago, Liberty City said:

Why would a producer come in as a head writer, though? We're replacing a head writer not an executive producer.

With each of the last four head writers having an executive producer credit attached to their names, I expect the same to continue at Y&R when a new person is named, particularly if it's someone noteworthy from outside soaps and not an internal hire.

Also, keep in mind that, with the exception of DAYS and GH, the other two CBS soaps are led by people with executive producer/head writer/showrunner titles, Brad Bell at B&B and Michele Val Jean at BTG.

  • Webmaster

Charles Pratt Jr., Sally Susman Morina, Mal Young and Josh Griffith were all head writers/executive producers at the same time, for part or all of their runs at Y&R.

  • Author
  • Member
4 minutes ago, Errol said:

With each of the last four head writers having an executive producer credit attached to their names, I expect the same to continue at Y&R when a new person is named, particularly if it's someone noteworthy from outside soaps and not an internal hire.

Also, keep in mind that, with the exception of DAYS and GH, the other two CBS soaps are led by people with executive producer/head writer/showrunner titles, Brad Bell at B&B and Michele Val Jean at BTG.

Yes, that could happen, but to simply bring in a producer to be a head writer is not smart. The difference with everyone else is that those who were named co-executive producer also had histories as writers/head writers. But to simply bring in a producer as head writer, to me, is not a smart move.

3 minutes ago, Errol said:

Charles Pratt Jr., Sally Susman Morina, Mal Young and Josh Griffith were all head writers/executive producers at the same time, for part or all of their runs at Y&R.

Pratt never held an executive producer title at any of his head writing gigs until Y&R, which I have always found interesting. But it just seems to be tradition at that soap since its inception that the head writer (or one of them) tends to receive co-executive producer credit alongside the "main" executive producer, but those were writers that came in and received head writing credit, not the other way around, with the exception of Lynn Marie Latham, who had previous experience as an EP on other series.

But, for me, bringing in a producer with no experience as a writer of any kind is not a smart decision, especially from an international soap. Especially for Y&R. That's just my POV. Plus, I'm also not keen on the head writer/executive producer being the same person solely (e.g., Bradley Bell/Mal Young eras).

  • Webmaster
2 minutes ago, Liberty City said:

But, for me, bringing in a producer with no experience as a writer of any kind is not a smart decision, especially from an international soap. Especially for Y&R. That's just my POV. Plus, I'm also not keen on the head writer/executive producer being the same person solely (e.g., Bradley Bell/Mal Young eras).

I don't think the previous mention of a Neighbours producer meant solely as a producer, but as someone who is also a writer and a producer. At least that's how I took that post, which, of course, was purely speculative and inquisitive by the poster.

  • Author
  • Member
3 minutes ago, Errol said:

I don't think the previous mention of a Neighbours producer meant solely as a producer, but as someone who is also a writer and a producer. At least that's how I took that post, which, of course, was purely speculative and inquisitive by the poster.

I only approached with question because I've noticed several posts concerning "bring in this producer" or "bring in that producer", etc. I just want a writer (or writers) to come in and really hammer the b.s. out of Y&R. Whoever comes in is going to have a crapload of literal bulls**t to clean up, hence why I'd rather a hard reset (a la DAYS' 2011 reset) with fresh storytelling. Cut some of that baggage out as much as possible.

  • Member
1 hour ago, BetterForgotten said:

I almost feel like if they were just promoting someone from within, it would already be announced because they’re already on staff there’s not much else to deliberate on. It’s a quick and easy (and cheap) decision.

The fact it’s almost 2 weeks since Griffith’s departure was announced feels like they’re on some type of search. But a disappointing choice is likely in either scenario, lol.

Yeah, it is starting to get worrying.

I also feel it's going to be 50/50. Hopefully, they take the risks with a newbie with an expert co-HW and it pays dividends.

  • Author
  • Member
1 hour ago, BetterForgotten said:

I almost feel like if they were just promoting someone from within, it would already be announced because they’re already on staff there’s not much else to deliberate on. It’s a quick and easy (and cheap) decision.

The fact it’s almost 2 weeks since Griffith’s departure was announced feels like they’re on some type of search. But a disappointing choice is likely in either scenario, lol.

He's still there writing, unfortunately. So his departure is likely contingent on one of two things:

  1. Finding a new head writer to assume the position

  2. Riding out his current contract as head writer

Plus, with what Errol said prior, with the upcoming launch of the "fall season", I assume they want to bring in someone to help launch that off the ground.

Edited by Liberty City

  • Member
1 hour ago, Errol said:

I don't think the previous mention of a Neighbours producer meant solely as a producer, but as someone who is also a writer and a producer. At least that's how I took that post, which, of course, was purely speculative and inquisitive by the poster.

Yes, that's what I meant. Both former executive producer Jason Herbison and former story producer Shane Isheev at Neighbours also wrote several episodes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.