BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Okay, so I’m stuck in traffic as my usual 30 minute commute turned into a 50 commute with heavy and while I had a minute I scrolled at my Facebook and the news and I totally thought it was fake lol.

That said, now that I’m home, WOW!!!!!! I was totally not expecting this here in 2024 at all, especially on the heels of Y&R’s renewal. I’m shocked especially that P&G is also involved. 

While I see I‘ve got 9 pages to read up on and share my deeper thoughts later I’ll just say if it replaces The Talk I would relish the irony of that. 

I really sincerely hope this comes to pass and succeeds.

Please register in order to view this content

And here just a couple weeks ago before Y&R’s renewal I was wondering in 2024 was going to be the end of CBS soaps. 

• Members

Airing it after Y&R, which has a very sizable AA audience, would be the smart thing. If the show's an hour, just air B&B after it.

Although, I think a half-hour soap would be a smart idea in this day and age. Maybe air it after Y&R, B&B after The Gates, and then fill the next half hour with a new talk show.

• Members

I’ll always have a soft spot for the classic CBS lineup that included GL and ATWT. I don’t expect ever see those shows back in any form - but I’d settle for The Gates taking place in the classic P&G soap universe (which, technically, Y&R and B&B exist in that universe too).

• Members

I do think it's possible P&G properties could be revived at some point in the future, especially given the state of the industry. I've always said EON and GL were the most viable of that stable. But I think that's getting way ahead of things. First this show actually has to be greenlit for production and turn up on the network, and then succeed. Still, it's a nice pipe dream if like me you are extrapolating on recent trends.

• Webmaster

As the show is only in development, everything relating to casting, location, length, etc, is currently being discussed behind the scenes. One thing is for sure: soaps take longer to get off the ground, but with the way things are done in daytime and TV in general these days, it's possible this show could be up and running as early as October. Or it could debut as late as fall 2025. We'll see. Either way, the way it was announced and what I know about the way it was announced, I would doubt it doesn't get a full series pickup. Especially with all parties involved. As noted by another poster, P&G isn't getting back into the soap game, especially with such an acclaimed writer as Michele Val Jean, to produce shit. So, I'm going on a limb and say this gets ordered.

MVJ is the MVP of daytime soaps, soap operas, and daytime dramas. Tell me otherwise, and I'll slap you! Haha.

• Administrator

Amazing news!!  Definitely shocked by this.  Never thought we'd see a broadcast network develop a new daytime soap!   When I read MVJ was going to be the HW/Showrunner, I was initially a little bit disappointed that she won't be back at GH, but that feeling went a away quickly because she is the perfect choice for this new project - she has the experience and skill.   If I was CBS, I would put it behind Y&R because it's a show you own and you'd want to give it the best show to succeed.   P&G coming back from the dead is also a shocker.  LOL

• Members
Posted (edited)

I can see it now:

THE GATES

Written by

MICHELE VAL JEAN

SUSAN DANSBY

CHARLOTTE GIBSON

LYNN MARTIN

MICHELLE PATRICK

(...and probably Jamey Giddens).

Edited by Khan