BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I love this for another reason. I think THE GATES could make the remaining soaps up their game.

Michele Val Jean can be the Shonda Rhimes / Ava Duvernay of daytime, reinvigorating soaps across the board. It's big news that P&G is again in the game and behind this project. I think that gives it a much better chance of getting to air.

As for GL and ATWT, let's not get out ahead of our skis, OK? Get THE GATES picked up and we can talk after that.

• Webmaster

The biggest markets have GH in its original slot, which would be after this potential new series.

That said, if this does go to series, in the markets GH does air at 2:00, this could mark the first time since DAYS was on TV that soaps will go head to head, and the first time in a complete head to head battle since ATWT/OLTL were on at 2:00 p.m., if this is where it goes and if it is ordered.

Who's __ do I got to suck or eat to get this series ordered at CBS? Haha.

Balls in your court ABC...you know GMA3 is not long for this Earth.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I don't want to get this thread too off topic, but, yeah. I thought that the incredibly apparent DGAF budget at Y&R in particular was a sign of not wanting to invest in soaps because they see no potential for the audience to grow and just want to hold on to the share they have without losing too much audience. Now CBS has a new soap in development, so they do believe an audience can be grown. And this show will have to put some money into sets and production. It's typical for newer soaps to do some location filming and do some visually interesting things to set the tone, so, I don't know, it will be weird to have a splashy new show airing after Y&R which consists of characters walking back and forth between two sets drinking from empty cups and B&B with its 35 year old sets... because I think and hope that the new show is going to have energy.

It's all very speculative, of course.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

I think the bigger question is will a new scripted daytime soap please the CBS affiliates be able to obtain significant clearance at launch? 

When B&B launched in 1987, that was something the Bell’s had to really work on for a number of years and something that plagued every new soap launching since. Even if CBS owns it outright.