BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Members

Casting should be interesting if this is ordered. Will they go for “named” talent from primetime and film, or hire some daytime stalwarts as well? Maybe a combination of both?

Michele - please cast Debbi Morgan as the star matriarch of your new soap, if you get this message. She’s more than earned it and can always deliver the goods! 

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Webmaster

Yeah, when I first saw the title I was taken aback. While the title could eventually change, CBS did not indicate this as a "working title" as networks tend to do when they aren't sure on a name for a show. As an example, last's week's spinoff of NCIS with Tony and Ziva. It doesn't have a title yet.

• Webmaster

What I find most interesting about The Gates, besides P&G being back in the game, is that we have never truly had a "showrunner" for a daytime soap since maybe William J. Bell for Y&R/B&B. And, I don't ever recall five executive producers for a daytime soap opera. So, this seems different. Modern. In a good way.

• Members

Almost unbelievable news!  I just pray it will be a 30-minute show.  I don't think the genre or the audience is strong enough for a new 60-minute soap to survive in 2024. 

Wishful casting thoughts are incredible.  I'm excited to say the least!!

• Webmaster

Three hours after I got the PR (yes, I was sitting on it), and I'm still crying.

I'll take either option, but you're point is valid. It would be easier to sell a daily soap as a half-hour one, but they need another half-hour show to work it in the schedule. The only other "half-hour" show they have is Drew Barrymore, but that's only based on a technicality, and the show airs way too early in the morning on the CBS Owned stations for it to help in any way (if at all). That, and Drew is syndicated.

Although it moved down a slot, #TheGates is now part of the "Soap operas - Trending" category on X (formerly Twitter):

Please register in order to view this content