GH: January 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think Ava has absolutely run her course as a character.  Maura is good enough to pivot in a different direction, but I can't deal with her having Esme! as a main foe.  Maybe Ava could be rested and come back with more of an edge and focus.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The same can be said for ANY character on the show -- that it's run Its course.

Can the writing for Ava be better? Absolutely, but the same can be said for Carly, for Nina, for Sonny, for Liz, for Laura, for....

You just don't drop a talent like Maura West. This is nuts.

• Members

Frankly they've been writing Laura worse longer ... and, we are soon to get some relief in the area of writing, at least that is our fervent hope! 

But I've come with news about Haley Pullos. Unfortunately it's only sourced to the Daily Mail and Radar Online.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13019145/Driver-injured-Haley-Pullos-sues-lounge-soap-star-crash.html

https://radaronline.com/p/general-hospital-star-haley-pullos-dui-car-crash-lawsuit-accuses-drinking-hostess-job-before-incident/

So, the guy she hit, who was hurt, who is suing her, ... is now also adding to the suit the lounge where she was working that night & alleging that she was encouraged to drink with the parties as she served them. 

• Members

Most of those characters you’ve listed could all go too for all I care (particularly Nina and Sonny). This show is in dire need of a more focused canvas. Talent is great, but if the character has been at a long standstill and is easily extendible, then they can go. 

If Ava went away tomorrow, can we honestly say it would have a detrimental impact to the overall show and canvas? I personally cannot. 

• Members

I've been posting to encourage people to list who they like & even more who they find essential, since that may be better than being the 1000th person to say get rid of Micheal Easton & so I've made my essential list: Tracy, really all the Qs, the Davis women, (Lois is in with the Qs), Laura & Kevin, Anna, Ava, Carly, Trina, Liz, Dante, and I can't get any farther than that & I realize it is gender lopsided. I've gotta work on coming up with more men. 

• Members

Just a legal tactic that most people would take. Evidence is going to kill her. She's effing lucky to be alive and not facing a vehicular homicide charge. Good God, did you see those cars? Wrong way on the 134. Jesus.

And that lounge owner is in BIG trouble now too. If they have pics of her drinking with him and partying while she was hosting, and I think they do, that bar will now be liable for a whole 'nother set of charges.

Side note: she looks weird as a blonde.

• Members

Ava lost her value when they made her a victim.

Ryan tormenting her on and off for five years. Griffin cheating on her with Kiki. Kiki's dead body shown to her on the slab. Nik making her think she was going crazy when she checked herself into Shadybrook. The stalker storyline when Esme and Spencer were harassing her so much she sent Avery to live with Carly for protection. Nik cheating on her by knocking up Esme. Heather nearly stabbing her to death. Ryan breaking out to abduct her one last time. Mason blackmailing her. Austin lying to her. It never stops. 

Ava has run her course. She could be written off tomorrow with no impact to the canvas. Avery is her only connection since Kiki and Julian were killed off. She will continue to be raised by Sonny and Carly (in separate homes) like it was for the majority of that child's life. There is nothing left other than putting her back with Nik and raising Ace as their son when Esme is in a coffin or prison. Not exactly going to fix the fact Ava has been FAR too watered down for six years straight. 

Edited by Vince79

• Members

Ava is a killer. That's how she came on and that's who she is. She wanted power and she had no problem killing anyone to get it. Everything else could add nuance and depth (like her unlikely but interesting friendship with Trina, who only really knows one aspect of her) but is not the core of her being. I didn't mind the dark, dysfunctional relationship with Nikolas (when it was written that way, which it wasn't always) because it suited both people. I liked the idea of her being duped and romanced by Ryan, though the execution was all over the map and made her a weeping victim. Everything else she's had since Carlivati left has often been pretty nauseating - and he did write the Denise saga, so let's not forget that either.

I think there is more fun to be had with Ava in the right contexts, but she's already been on the show way, way longer than anyone else in her non-Sonny/Jason role in mob story would've been. So I would go hardcore with her for awhile, get her back to what she does best (and she's not that OOC now, besides the cozy relationships with her enemies) and then let her either burn out in a blaze of glory or let her come in and out in future. Romantic heroine Ava does not work for me; Ava who gets along with Sonny, Carly, etc. does not work for me.

Edited by Vee