Characters Without a Fanbase

• Members

I just don't think the show ever found any solid footing for Ric.  Whether it was too many cooks in the kitchen backstage with Guza, JFP, Frons, Pratt, Wolf, etc or if Ric just outlived his usefulness on the show.  Once you fake rape a pregnant woman and lock her in a secret room it's really hard to be a viable male romantic lead.  That story with Marianna or whatever was probably one of the worst in modern GH history and that's saying a lot lol.

As far as Guza/Jax, I actually think Guza loved the character of Jax and Jax/Brenda his first run because he created him/them.  I would say he preferred them to Sonny/Brenda in the 90's.  Guza went out of his way to present Jax as the best option for Brenda. Jax/Brenda got some very good writing all the way up to Brenda's exit.  I think Guza was over Ingo when he left for Titans and then really lost interest in him when Brenda returned and he thought of Jason/Brenda.  Then KeMo/Sam/Jax bombed and Jax was relegated to the only story that worked-a romantic foil for Sonny.  The show really turned into Jason/Sonny/Carly after 2003 and I just don't think Jax had the same place on the canvas or was allowed a consistent POV outside of hating Sonny, but I do think Guza did favor Jax a lot once.

Sorry lol I do think RH is a talented guy and I do know he has fans so he doesn't fit this thread.  I just didn't like the character or his stories.

Edited by carolineg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As for long running characters without a fan base a few do come to my head immediately:

Daniel Jonas on Days, lasted for years and years but I don’t recall Daniel having any fans, mainly haters lol except for maybe a die hard SC fan or two.

Abby on Y&R lol

Wyatt on B&B

Frank Cooper on GL 

• Members

I do think Frank was liked well enough in the years he was a major character. It's hard to gauge who the big popular characters of GL were meant to be because most of the big fanbases seemed to be couple fanbases. (I don't remember, say, Matt ever having a fanbase of his own, but he had a very vocal fanbase with Vanessa).

• Members

He immediately sprang to mind mainly because he was just “there” for so many years post MK leaving as Eleni, but with Frank largely being a supporting role it is hard to tell.

I was also tempted to list KMH’s Emily on ATWT as well but that’s a strange case as well. Even though KMH  Emily lead for years    she just wasn’t in the same league as say Carly and Lily. 

• Members

The Ric strike story with his foreign wife in '08(?) was hilarious, lol. JFP was let out of the closet with Guza gone and suddenly all her faves and ideas were running rampant and it was Rick Hearst all week long like GL 15 years before! It was so blatant. She even re-used the 'mysterious lady into colors' schtick from the Angel story and some of the vibes of the Tangie Hill story from GL when she was left to her own devices doing some of the introduction for Claudia, something Guza and possibly Sarah Brown allegedly blamed her for after the fact (not creating the character, but how she handled the initial material). I think she would've finally gotten Kale Browne back onscreen during that time if she could've, supposedly she got a firm no from the network on that over the years.

I do think Rick Hearst is an excellent actor and I always enjoyed him on the show, especially early on. But yes, he was always the goat, always a Guza loser character and it's not like his grotesque initial storyline (or throwaway C-list pairing with Liz at the time, sorry but that's what it was) was a setup for longevity even though it was often gripping to watch. I seem to recall it climaxing in Sonny and Jason taking his new half-brother out to the house where they used to live and short-ass Sonny getting his revenge by just kicking a wounded and bound Ric down the stairs over and over, lol.

Ric did always give great schemer, a real snake, and he's fun at least in that capacity. He could've been much more because Hearst is great, but Guza's world was not built for that. I liked him with NLG early on but the Ric and Alexis pairing became so sexist and toxic too. I am glad they didn't kill him off in 2015 as was planned by Ron Carlivati - that got rewritten on the fly right as he was fired and they killed off Michael Easton's Silas instead. I wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Edited by Vee

• Members

@VeeI actually really liked early Liz/Ric until things got weird with Carly.  I thought they had good chemistry.  Do they belong in this thread?  Am I their only fan?

Please register in order to view this content

It really makes me sad when I see clips of WN or even DH's Roman.  I can't believe how irrelevant such a good character has become.  I have never heard anyone praise JT's portrayal of Roman ever.  

• Members

Hard to believe, but Josh Taylor has been playing Roman on and off since 1998, which if I've done my math correctly, is five times longer than Wayne was in the role.

But clearly, first gen Roman had much more appeal than clam chowder Roman.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Wayne's Roman was great.  I loved watching early Roman/Marlena clips when they were more readily available on youtube.  By the time Roman returned in the 90's John was making Roman a bit redundant.  So I am glad I guess I don't have to see Wayne relegated to serving chowder, but it's sad to see what the character has become.

• Members

Let's just say I have soured on Ingo, but I do think Guza liked him. With Brenda - and with Alexis.

I still remember the preordained Jax/Chloe push that Wendy Riche was endorsing, while the writing in the Mixed Marrieds with Ned/Chloe and Jax/Alexis often seemed to have sparkly moments with the latter couple.

Whether that was just meant as filler or as a real threat to Ned/Alexis [and Jax/Chloe], I guess we'll never know. But once that story ended and it was clear that Jax/Chloe was bombing and Chloe mixed it up with Stavros/Stefan and Jax/Alexis was not ever going to advance, Jax just seemed to be in a holding pattern. One he never really exited. [Yes, he was paired with Carly. But he was ALWAYS the loser to Sonny there. Again. So... *shrug*]