Characters Without a Fanbase

• Members

It was Pratt who wrote it that the night before her wedding to Bianca she couldn't control herself & kissed a man! If Pratt could have gotten away with it, he'd have broken them up! I have to correct myself. Pratt did create Reese. I just can't explain why he would have written something so awful for a character he created. IDK. Maybe he was against same sex marriage. 

Agree that she was cool. I loved her. But, with horrible writing like that I would not have wished for her & Bianca to stick around, no way. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Pratt wasn't against same-sex marriage. It was his idea to marry them in the first place,  and the fact he chose his friend Tamera to be a part of this groundbreaking story proves it. Reese was struggling with being Bisexual, I did not see one thing wrong with her kissing Zach before her wedding.  We have seen stuff like that happen on soaps for decades. The speed of the storytelling is the issue I had with this storyline, Pratt is already a writer who doesn't write all the beats so him speeding a 3-year story into 6 months was a bad decision.  

Like Mctavish Pratt had a lot of mandates to work around and tell his stories at AMC, which is why he had a tighter contract when he got to Y&R.

• Members

The Reese/Bianca story was a good pitch - I liked the idea of Tamara finally playing a soft butch dyke and having a major romance for Bianca. I also didn't mind the concept of her being bi on paper, or even the supposed planned story turn that allegedly made Eden quit and stay gone for a long time (Bianca getting revenge on Reese by sleeping with Ryan!), provided the focus stayed on the two women and their tortured romance. But the fact is the audience was promised one thing for Bianca and her new love interest and given another - a story focused once again on Zach and Pratt's pet actor. Later, Pratt finally confessed in print that Bianca was just being used as a delivery system for his preferred GH star; that he wanted Reese to become a catty bisexual schemer a la something out of his Spelling primetime soaps, sleeping with both men and women. To reduce all that potential to that is a tacky idea and a cynical betrayal of the audience and the actors, especially since both Braun and Eden Riegel have indicated they felt they were sold a bill of goods by the show, promised one thing and given another just like the fans.

That's on Pratt, who was wildly unpopular BTS and treated the company like shít both in private and public, like when he later bragged that Jamie Luner being miscast as Liza would come on the set and whip all these ungrateful lazy actors into shape.

I'm still not convinced you actually watch GH, Dylan, but yes. Wes Ramsey has had a long career outside of GH for many years and did some good work before he began unbearably hamming it up as Peter August. Oscar could not act at all.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Well, thanks for the information. Just have to agree to disagree. To me when you set yourself up to do some major event for diversity, in this case first same sex marriage in daytime, that is when you get serious & take a break from soapy silliness where Reese would kiss Zach the night before her wedding. But his telling the actors to forget about their history & that he was going to shake things up doesn't sit well either. And then of course he completely screwed over Beth Ehlers. 

@lucaslesann23  Wes Ramsey is quite a good actor. The Peter character was so awful but I can't imagine anyone being able to do better with that material. Before they got done with him, he might as well have been twirling a moustache. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

Yes you do, you changed your SN months ago. But your past posts literally are still labeled "Dylan". Your account still dates back to when you first joined. I wasn't aware you were actually trying to pretend to be someone else until just now, lol.

Edited by Vee

• Members

There's nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. It's life were not always going to be on the same page with things and that's OK! I understand your POV though, and actually agree with you to some extent.  

Pratt went about things the wrong way but AMC needed a major shakeup behind and in front of cameras. So I don't blame him for  it.  Beth Ehlers did get screwed that is accurate but from my understanding he had some nice ideas for her as well that was shot down. Pratt really had the wrong job role, if he was just a consultant for a "BETTER" writer with history with the show AMC would have been on fire it's last few years on the air. 

@VeeWell I don't wanna get too deep into things done behind the scenes because things weren't easy for him either.  He felt like he had to be a rebellious child to get his way and was lashing out! And he lost some good friends in the process. I just wish he had come to AMC during a different time.

I do not excuse his behavior but there are many sides to one story in show business. Would you happen to have a link to that revealing Pratt article?

Edited by DemetriKane

• Members

Idk why I said that, I knew it was easy to see I just changed my name. I felt badly because I snapped at that Jane women and accused you of being racist.

I'm sorry for saying that to you a few months ago. I've been trying not to overreact and get mad at people here. I can't help it sometimes.

• Members

I have a lot of time for some of Chuck Pratt's primetime soap work in the '90s, I watched his Spelling soaps faithfully for many years. I don't think that on paper ideas like Reese/Bianca (or Reese being tempted by men like her brother-in-law) or Taylor Thompson, the conservative Iraq war vet, are bad. But at every daytime show he's been HW on in the 21st century he's left a long trail of unhappy actors and stories of serious disrespect, and his GH and AMC stints were especially full of misogyny, bimbos and a lot of cheap shock value material. (Faith on GH was basically a macho sex maniac fantasy.) And the execution of even good ideas was terrible. He gave several magazine interviews at AMC describing all of the above, I can't really dig all of them up right now. And the actors later let loose about him. The way the Reese story was pitched vs. how it played out, IIRC, is what drove Eden Riegel to leave and stay gone til Prospect Park in 2013. For his part, Pratt basically blamed Eden for not signing a long-term contract (which I doubt she would've declined had the story not collapsed) and said he'd always intended for Bianca to merely be an intro device for Reese who would become a bisexual vixen.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I wouldn't say there are characters with NO fanbase, but some do have miniscule fan bases and yuck at Ryan Lavery lol, he literally tried to punch a woman, I don't get how that abusive arse could have any fans lol. I think that's the moment CamMat said lost Ryan a lot of fans

• Members

@Vee Pratt is an easy target for sure. I'm not putting that Eden Riegel Burton on him, for whatever reason she never wanted to sign a long-term contract after the baby switch! She didn't seem full time with Prospect Park either.  Even if the Lesbian wedding was better received she still would have walked. I don't need all his articles just the ones where he talks about his plans for Reese. And What's wrong with wanting her to be a vixen? That's honestly the way Bianca should've been written IMO. If the issue is about Bianca being an intro device I believe that's a nitpick and I know after all the soaps you have watched this isn't the first time you've seen it done, it's pretty atypical of daytime.  

I understand fans really wanted Bianca to get a proper romance and wedding, and I did too, but I also wanted the same angst and drama they give to straight couples. Let Reese figure herself out in other relationships on the canvas while bringing in another character for Bianca until Reese finds herself. And now we have 3 different types of lesbians on canvas. 

The same way all the rapist do.

Edited by DemetriKane