Days: August 2023 Discussion Thread

• Webmaster

That literally makes no sense. Why would someone declare Fi-Core after getting fired from a soap? Again, per Toups' article, Sheffer went Fi-Core but was then told he wasn't needed by Corday and was fired as a result (after the strike). In fact, here is where Toups reported Sheffer going Fi-Core, which took place in early January 2008: https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2008/02/breaking-news-list-of-financial-core-writers

And here is his report on Sheffer joining Y&R  as Co-HW with further details on the DAYS issue.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, interesting, that fired breakdown writer says that Hogan did it only to screw with Ken. So, that's just ... weird. I don't even follow why Ken would care at that point. So, enuff said. 

I really enjoyed today's day of Victor scenes! What are your favorites? My two tops are him stepping over Carly on the ground & porch to get the newspaper & "Did anyone call for a hooker?"

Edited by Donna L. Bridges

• Members

Something I noticed that now I cannot get out of mind is how little the actors are allowed to move in a scene.  I was watching a scene from the 1980s when Megan met with Stefano.  He greets her at the door, and then they walk through the sitting room into his office, with the camera following them the whole time.  Today, they barely walk around the room.  I assume it is because they no longer use human camera operators, and it is expensive to reset the camera position.  But, it makes me have empathic claustrophobia, that these characters are so immobile within an episode. 

I mean, I celebrated that Belle showed up in more than one set because Kate seems chained to the bar of the Brady Pub.

Edited by j swift

• Members

To clarify what I meant about movement, it is not just about the size of the set but the static placement of the camera. 

Look at Shawn's scene with the mayor.  First, when the mayor sits, he pops into the shot, the camera can't pan down to follow him sitting.  Then, (I assume because they don't do takes for coverage), the entire conversation is a back and forth between close up, with no wide shot to establish their place in the room or their reactions to each other while they talk.  So, they wind up looking like puppets because they can only use their upper body and their hands to express themselves. 

I'm not asking them to walk and talk like they're in an episode of the West Wing, but it would be nice to see some camera movement within an entire episode.

That being said, I am glad that at least it is brighter in Salem than it used to be.  We still never know what time of day it is, but 2020 looked like every episode took place at dusk.  And the sound mixing is much clearer.

Edited by j swift

• Members

@j swift A few years ago I used to think the entire show was lit in blue.  Every set and scene had a blue tinge to it.  Then it went dusky or orange like you said.  I miss the late 90's when there was that glaze-y look.  When Deidre Hall's close ups were always a little blurry so you couldn't see a wrinkle lol.

• Members

For a time they regularly used a blue filter. It drove me buggy. The air in Salem was blue! Then, one day the air was clear & they had stopped using the blue filter. Thank God! 

Shades of Larry, Curly & Moe! It's been years since I've thought of that. We used to say it all the time. Slowly they turned ... step by step. ... Hilarious sketch. 

• Members

I don't think there's a movement afoot to make something out of GH's Carly & Jason connection. My gosh it was 18 years ago that she played Carly #2 & she's done lots more stuff since then. If Alarr hired her back to try to exploit Carly & Jason I think he was stupid as well as being a bully, an abuser, manipulative, etc. Tamara is just an excellent actress who looks great that they seem to waste her talents. At least so far this is not as bad as making pasta for Rafe endlessly. Although I have no use for Burton. 

@Errol  I finally got a DM reply from Alan Sarapa where he said he had no idea what the amount of the fine was but that it was substantial enough that they would not want to make that mistake again. So he is of the opinion that such a fine existed. 

• Members

That lack of camera movement is because there is not enough time for rehearsal to block out scenes and have actors move about to create interest.

At one time they would have a camera block rehearsal where the director would choreograph the actors movements and camera operators could work out their shots, but there is no time or budget for that.

It's also why scenes are so short- fewer lines to learn, less chance of things going wrong and having to retape.

• Members

Happy 50th Anniversary Suzanne Rogers

Please register in order to view this content

Honestly, today was one of the best episodes I’ve seen in a long time. Sometimes, I still find it unbelievable that a team that can write such stupid, degrading, biased garbage can also write episodes like today.

It really did feel like classic soap. Those bonds between family and friends were on full display and I think some actors have some footage for their Emmy reels.

I would have liked to have seen some flashbacks about Maggie with Sarah and Melissa but all the ones that were included were really great to see. And I’m glad that Maggie got to spend so much of the episode with Julie. 

It was also nice seeing Xander/Brady and Kate/Chloe be civil to each other. That was unexpected lol 

And I’m still very curious as to what’s gonna happen to Shawn now. He really should be frontburner in this storyline. 

• Members

Really, the one thing I wanted out of this tribute to Suzanne Rogers was a scene between Maggie and Julie -- and we got that in spades. It really did feel like the Salem of old, with family, friends and even enemies coming together. (The flashbacks demonstrated that Salem used to have a much bigger set and wardrobe budget, though.) I missed a lot of Maggie & Victor's initial romance, so it was nice to see that scene with them at dinner -- Suzanne was glowing.

And the post-credits Maggie scenes were great -- something we wouldn't have seen on NBC, so thanks, Peacock.