Days: February 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Well, one hallmark of soaps is relatability. The more the characters relate to real life the better the soap, as a general rule. The way we talk about their characteristics & dilemmas as if they were real, again, the better the soap. I personally think "as if they were real" counts. YMMV. 

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I particularly liked this point:     (am I allowed to quote from another site?) 

So many stories or plot points these days are just the obstacle du jour.  There is no fallout or repercussions or character analysis or growth. Stuff just happens and then they move on. The only aftermath they've shown recently was Bonnie's PTSD which was just for the purpose of outing Xander as the kidnapper. Now she's cool again; no more scary clowns haunting her. 

(P.S. Characters constantly making cracks about devil possession doesn't count) 

• Members

And, Bonnie's PTSD was so funny to so many fans because she was kidnapped for a relatively short time & her trauma got days & days of coverage when Marlena's been kidnapped umpteen times and even lived through THE PIT and never had any trauma to work through after. But, as you say, it was a plot device. 

• Members

I don't see any difference between NBC Days and Peacock Days. Very boring start to a sweeps month. Xander's hot, but seeing him in his undies for 4 or 5 straight episodes? Dull. The Marlena story hasn't been played in a week and a half. 

Any word on a renewal for Days? The Peacock execs were playing up the decision this week to no longer offer free sign ups and they attributed their growth to The World Cup, the NFL, next day broadcasts of NBC and Bravo shows and originals, but no specific mention or credit given to Days. Yellowstone and The Best Man have managed to break into the Nielsen Top 10 for Peacock but Days is nowhere to be found. 

• Members

I don’t think what we’re seeing right now was written for Peacock… these eppys are produced for Peacock.  I haven’t been watching so I can’t comment on the change in production or if the show is being staged “sexier.”  Once the eppys that were written and produced for Peacock, I think we can expect real changes and many tiresome in-jokes in the dialogue about the changes.

• Members

It was said that the show was 6 months out, meaning 6 months of show in the can, taped. I do not know if that meant ready for post or ready. It was also said that there was another month written, meaning written & vetted & changes made from notes if given. 6 months is February. 

That said, I do not know if we have just changed over to 'written for' just that we have changed over to 100% Peacock-produced. For the past 3 weeks we've been having half & half shows. But it is likely that some of that half-Peacock was new writing. 

Even if it were only the extra minutes, we would have run out of "old". NBC was 36-37 min. For months we've had betw 31 min. and 47 min. Heavy on the 47. 

• Members

DOOL Show Deets

11-15-22 W-Kirk Doering D-Sonia Blangiardo
11-16-22 W-RCulliton D-Albert Alarr
11-17-22 W-Cheryl Daniel D-Scott McKinsey
11-21-22 37 min. 
11-22-22 W-CCulliton D-Noel Maxam 37 min. 
11-23-22 
11-24-22 39 min. W-David Kriezman D-Scott McKinsey
11-25-22 38 min. W-Joanna Cohen D-Angela Tessinari
11-28-22 38 min. W-RCulliton D-Noel Maxam 
11-29-22 W-Joanna Cohen D-Angela Tessinari 
11-30-22 W-David Kreizmann D-Noel Maxam 
12-1-22 W-David Kriezmann D-Sonia Blangiardo 
12-2-22 41 min. W-Jazmen Darnell Brown D-Sonia Blangiardo 
12-5-22 33 min. W-RCulliton D-Albert Alarr
12-6-22 34 min. 
12-7-22 38 min. 
12-8-22 40 min. 
12-9-22 39 min. W-David Kreizman D-Scott McKinsey 
12-12-22 31 min. W-Jazmen Darnell Brown D-Scott McKinsey
12-13-22 39 min. W-Cheryl Davis D-Janet Spellman Drucker 
12-14-22 37 min. 
12-15-22 40 min. W-David Kreizman D-Noel Maxam 
12-16-22 W-Joanna Cohen D-Sonia Blangiardo
12-19-22 34 min. W-Jazmen Darnell Brown D-Noel Maxam 
12-20-22 38 min. W-Carolyn Culliton D-Scott McKinsey
12-21-22 39 min. W-Richard Culliton D- Janet Spellman-Drucker
12-22-22 38 min. W-Joanna Cohen D-Sonia Blangiardo
12-23-22 41 min. 
12-26-22 42 min. W-Dorell Anthony
12-27-22 40 min. W-David Kreizman D-Sonia Blangiardo
12-28-22 37 min. W-Jazmin Darnell Brown D-Noel Maxam
12-29-22 39 min. W-Richard Culliton D-Scott McKinsey
12-30-22 38 min. 
1-2-23 38 min. W-Carolyn Culliton D-Sonia Blangiardo
1-3-23 41  min. W-Joanna Cohen D-Sonia Blangiardo 
1-4-23 38 min. W-David Kreizman D-David Shaughnessey
1-5-23 33 min. W-Dorrell Anthony D-David Shaughnessey DH Epi#4972
1-6-23 39 min. W-Joanna Cohen D-Albert Alarr DH Epi#4973
1-9-23 44 min. W-Dorell Anthony D-David Shaughnessey DH Epi#4974
1-10-23 40 min. W-Kirk Doering D-Angela Tessinari
1-11-23 41 min. W-David Kreizman D-Albert Alarr
1-12-23 44 min. W-Jazmen Darnell Brown D-Noel Maxam
1-13-23 38 min. W-Jazmen Darnell Brown D-Scott McKinsey
1-16-23 40 min. W-Cheryl Davis D-Scott McKinsey
1-17-23 7 min. repeat 45 min. W-Joanna Cohen D-Sonia Blangiardo
1-18-23 40 min. W-David Kreizman D-Scott McKinsey
1-18-23 Closing Credits, All Writers: Ron Carlivati, Ryan Quan, Christopher Dunn, Jeanne Marie Ford, Jamey Giddens, Dave Ryan, Katherine Schock, Dorell Anthony, Jazmen Darnell Brown, Joanna Cohen, Carolyn Culliton, Richard Culliton, Cheryl Davis, Kirk Doering, Fran Myers *Lorraine Broderick retired.
1-19-23 35 min. W-Richard Culliton D-Scott McKinsey DH Epi#4975 
1-20-23 45 min. W-Carolyn Culliton D-Angela Tessinari DH Epi #4976
1-23-23 47 min. W-Richard Culliton D-Scott McKinsey DH Epi #4977
1-24-23 45 min. W-Carolyn Culliton D-Albert Alarr DH Epi #4978
1-25-23 41 min. W-Joanna Cohen D-Scott McKinsey
1-26-23 36 min. W-Kirk Doering D-Noel Maxam
1-27-23 41 min. W-David Kreizman D-Angela Tessinari
1-30-23 38 min. W-David Kreizman D-Sonia Blangiardo
1-31-23 45 min. W-Cheryl Davis D-Sonia Blangiardo
2-1-23 44  min. W-Dorell Anthony D-Scott McKinsey *Dorell's last script.
2-2-23 40 min. W-   D-Angela Tessinari

Okay, I only saw one day. 

This is a document I began in Nov. & just keep adding to. 

11-20 Changes: (1) Episodes show long closing credis like they used to BITD. (2) We had one short day, 32 min. where if that had been broadcast on NBC they'd have had to add something to it in Edit to make it long enough because NBC's tolerances were very strict & Peacock's are much more relaxed. (3) We have now had some statistics on Peacock. (Nov. 12 was #1 "engagement", Nov. 14 also #1, Nov. 16 #2 Nov. 18 @2#) According to TelevisionStats.com) (4) Longer episodes which means they've been editing & adding in scenes that would have been "too long" for NBC. Examples from last week: Mon. 41 min. Tues. 38 min. Wed. 40 min. Th. 37 min. Fri. 36 min. We typically had 36-37 for NBC.

Jan. '23 half & half shows, up to 47 min. long, green screen, new cameras

Feb. 1st or 2nd confirmed 100% Peacock-produced

And, I watch the show & I have seen changes & could speak to specifics. 

• Members

I edited my above post to clarify.  What I meant was that you noted some numbers ... they might mean something different than Jason's numbers. --  a reference to something I'm not familiar with. 

I'm sure productions have all sorts of reference codes for various things I know nothing about.
There are always more details for me to learn and I was genuinely curious.

• Members

Oh, yeah, last week someone posted on #SoapTwitter that we had just had a 50 min. day. We thought it was a 47 min. day. There was no dialog about difference. 

OH! Okay, the notation of DHEpi# are counting Deidre's Days as she approaches 5,000th epi. Jason tells me that he thinks it will fall in March, maybe April, impossible to really extrapolate. We go by him for what Epi she's on. I emailed the google doodle submission point to "nominate" Deidre's 500th episode for a Google Doodle that day. 

Typo: 5000th