Y&R February 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes any decent writer could. My nomination of Sharon to get the axe was based on the current state of the show. As ill advised as some of the story choices were for Sharon, they were probably no worse than several other characters.

So maybe Sharon/Billy? Another go round with Adam? Possibilities but nothing I would want to see.

The only thing at this stage would be searching for her father, but that would require extra sets and characters and that's unlikely. That story set in Crimson Lights would be a dud.

Maybe Sharon could go to work at one of the companies-at least she could be doing something different.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I am not a hardcore fan by any stretch of the imagination. I am not watching currently. But if I had to cull the show for streaming?

I would cut almost every single Newman that I can think of except for Mariah, Summer, maybe Noah or a couple of Victoria's kids recast. I would recast Victoria later. Victor and Nikki would be recurring special guests for specific arc-based stories. Same with Nick and Sharon (reunited). You would open the new phase of the show with them presented as part of the cast and visible in press (much like AMC and OLTL on Hulu did with Eden Riegel and Roger Howarth) but then they would go in and out for arcs. They would not be full-time contract cast.

Billy would be gone. I would probably cut Phyllis. I would keep Jack and Diane together as scheming Abbott elders, Ashley and Traci too, I would keep Devon, Lily and Kyle. Michael and Lauren, maybe on recurring. Maybe recast Nate yet again. Bring back Victoria Rowell, bring back MM as Hilary and keep Allie. Anything else is fair game.

This is what Y&R has always done: Flush the old for the new. If it wants to survive off CBS, that's how you do it. New young people, new focus, new families and some old favorites.

• Members

I hope they don't do a cast cull, because I can guarantee whoever they cull will be the opposite of what fans want, nor do I expect them to bring in any interesting young new talent to replace them. 

Whatever they do, it will be in true anti-climactic Josh Griffith fashion. There won't be a serial killer. The characters probably won't even leave town. They'll just get dropped to recurring and continue to have non-storylines just like the contract cast does. They'll be seen here and there for random visits like Amanda. And even those that leave town, like Ashley who apparently lives in Paris, will be around just as often as when they were living in town, again just having random interactions, but no real story.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Billy just confirmed to Jack that he has feelings for his rapist.

I've hated his sick friendship with her and that was gross enough.  But this.  

CBS and Sony need to fire JG  (We've been saying that for months but now...)  Let Amanda Beall write and hire back some of the fired writers to help.

If they won't fire JG, then they should lay off Jason Thompson, in order to remove the character of Billy from JG's clutches.

An actor shouldn't have to suffer for a writer's crap, but I don't know what else to suggest since JG won't stop.  And I love Jason Thompson.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Not much. As usual, DD takes every opportunity to slam anyone who criticizes Y&R for not bringing him back while loving every stan who slobbers over him and tells him how wonderful he is.

I don't think he's dumb. I think he knows the bridges aren't just burned, but burned down. He has no chance of returning...and that's probably the only executive decision at Y&R that I agree with.

• Members

Last month before he left, Danny visited with Christine at Crimson Lights. Her dialogue confirmed to the viewers that she's still married to Paul. Danny told Christine that Paul and Christine are invited to see him perform sometime.

I just skimmed the past week's recaps ...

Monday 20 Feb - Heather and Lucy said they were going to visit Paul and Christine.
Friday 24 Feb - Heather and Lucy mentioned they had visited Paul and Christine (it was offscreen of course LOL). 
Then they returned to Portugal.  They took an Uber from the Grand Phoenix to the airport.

I'm surprised the show is still pushing "Paul is in Genoa City".  As we know from DougD's tweets, he hasn't taped in years. 

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I'm also surprised Heather and Lucy are gone already.

In the past week, there was something about a bracelet (I'm skimming recaps so I don't have all the details) and the color blue - which helped Daniel and Lily reconnect, and something about the way he treated them  when they lived in Savannah.  She was glad he was willing to listen to her express how he had disappointed her.  She was sort of *starting to* forgive him a little.  Not there yet, but some sort of start was made in connecting.

On Friday, there was some dialogue about Daniel and Lucy remaining connected via video chat. And then Daniel suggested he and Lucy could vist each other (someday whenever Lucy is ready) - in Genoa City, in Portugal, or any other location they choose; and Lucy agreed. But it was sort of a vague general idea, because Lucy is still guarded and not ready yet.

Heather made a point of saying that Lucy is in school in Portugal, and this visit was a quick vacation and they needed to get back to Portugal so that Lucy could go back to school.  And Heather has a litigation to prepare for, in her work as an attorney in Portugal.

I guess the point of Heather's visit was to tell Daniel she has a new boyfriend in Portugal, so that the show can pair Daniel and Lily. 

They went to all the trouble of casting Lucy, and she's gone already?

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I haven't been following the video game storyline.  It seems like a variation on all the other business storylines. Or maybe the podcast storylines.  I like Daniel but I finally stopped reading recaps in depth.  Everything is so blah.
The *idea* of a transformational videogame is great, but JG can't write.

I sort of check in on Daniel in the recaps, because I liked him and Lily together as teens.  But the show is currently so bad, I can't make myself watch it.