Days of Our Lives ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​(1965-1985) ⌛

• Skylover changed the title to Days of Our Lives ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​(1965-1985) ⌛
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's unfortunate, but I'm still thankful that so much of the show still exists. Look what happened to the early years of all the P&G soaps.

If Season 2 truly doesn't exist anymore, I think that includes Susan's baby dying/her shooting David/her trial, Mickey and Laura becoming a couple, Tommy's intro as Mark Brooks among the episodes that we won't be able to see

• Members

If Season 2 truly doesn't exist anymore, I think that includes Susan's baby dying/her shooting David/her trial, Mickey and Laura becoming a couple, Tommy's intro as Mark Brooks among the episodes that we won't be able to see

Gosh I'd love to see those episodes! the Hortons including Alice and Marie finding out the truth about Tommy/mark.. and of course Susan shooting David and Julie's reaction.. and the trial. did Julie ever forgave Susan for killing her first lover?

• Members

When the daily telecast reports were filled out, there was mention of multiple copies being sent to New York, so even if there was a fire, I still think there's a chance NBC's 30 Rock in New York could have possibly saved a copy, even if the Corday archives no longer has it. 

• Members

Most stuff got taped over by the networks in the 1950's and 1960's, so at least we still have a good percentage of the Days episodes. It could have been much worse. Even most of the first 10 years of Tonight Show no longer exist.

If that's the case, what did they do with their copies? Could they still be somewhere in a vault in Australia?

• Members

Doing a little digging, it appears that Days began airing in Australia in 1968.

The problem is trying to find any recaps to compare. Australia's TV listings of the 1970s are threadbare. Days is advertised as a medical drama starring Macdonald Carey. That's it.

A September 1984 column mentions Jake as the Strangler and that seemed to be what was currently happening. Renee was talking about Tony and Gwen and Don were dating. Days was hugely popular in Australia around 1980.

In January 1987, it seems the shows airing were from early 1984. (Roman fakes his death in the explosion, Andre impersonating Tony, who's down in the basement wearing that helmet.)

Since the time seems to decently line up here, they probably aired all or nearly all of Days from the beginning. Until within the last 20-25 years when they did a special to catch everyone up and began airing current shows.

The more I think about it, though, Australia probably did not keep the tapes. Australia would have had to format them for their PAL format, but the now that I remember, Australia ws still wiping tapes into the 1980s. IIRC, they were one of the worst countries in destroying their old shows.

I guess there would be the question of who did the converting? Tapes were hugely expensive to convert from NTSC to PAL then. If Australia did the converting,I guess there is a slight chance of the NTSC copies being in somebody's warehouse. If America did the work on the tapes,  I'd say the tapes are long gone.

Edited by Titus Andronicus