ABC: Abbott Elementary

• Members

I had to make a thread for this after catching up with its first short season on HBO Max - it just began its second on Hulu/ABC. Sweet, earnest and very funny. Sheryl Lee Ralph's Emmy is well deserved after so many years of great work, but the entire ensemble crackles and Janelle James steals every scene as Ava.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The Parks and Recreation parallels are interesting in that a lot of fans have twigged the Tariq character as likely becoming a bigger presence a la how Chris Pratt/Andy Dwyer blew up on that show. He clearly has a good heart and is good with the kids whenever volunteering despite also being a layabout idiot. I don't think Zack Fox/Tariq will become as big as Pratt/Andy did on Parks, but I do think there's a fair amount of similarity.

I'm most pleased to see Tyler James Williams in a popular lead role - he's been so, so good as an adult performer on a bunch of shows and he deserved a lasting showcase. But Sheryl Lee Ralph, Quinta Brunson, Lisa Ann Walter, the whole ensemble is great.

Edited by Vee

• Members

OMG! I *heart* Principal Ava. She's so sweet and her heart is always in the right place. Honestly, I never heard of Abbott Elementary until I watched the Primetime Emmys. Usually, when I see that kind of recognition, curiosity courses through these veins of mine. At first, it reminded me of Modern Family, but then I felt the Parks and Recreation side to it since it revolves around the workplace. All in all, Janelle James as Principal Ava Coleman continues to capture my heart.

• Members

Ava seemed a bit more competent and on top of things in the premiere. She ran that opening meeting well and was on top of things with Melissa - I think coming through in front of the board has her a bit more dedicated, by Ava standards.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

This was freakin' hilarious that I had to upload and share. Two sisters going at it. Roots always show up whether if it's russet potatoes or the human hair. 

Please register in order to view this content

Gnocchi Upheaval

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

OMG. I came so close to thinking that yesterday's episode was going to be about gun violence in school once I saw and heard those helium balloons pop against the ceiling fan. Anybody else think the same? 

Please register in order to view this content

• 3 weeks later...