Queen Elizabeth II

Toups

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A triumph of a life: the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm not for the royals having any sort of power, but as characters of pop culture I've always been intrigued. And those who have created/adapted programs such as The Crown have given me immense entertainment through the years of my life and will probably continue to do so. 

It feels weird to say goodbye to the only Queen I, and many others, have ever known. Rest in Peace Queen Elizabeth II!

• Members

I'll reiterate that: There's a lot to process, the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm not going to get on my high horse about it but I'm also not going to venerate her as a saintly figure above criticism or reproach. She lived a hell of a life though. My friends in the UK have a lot of thoughts about her, lol.

• Members

I think King Charles will run a leaner, less ostentatious, monarchy with fewer professional royals and lower costs.  I also think his commitment to the environment will be popular.

The big questions are: (1) How long will they wait for a coronation? (2) Will Camilla wear a crown to the ceremony? And (3) will Meghan attend both the funeral and the coronation?

If the most recent status made UK citizens Elizabethans, are they now going to be Charlestons (lol)?

• Members

Queen Elizabeth passes away almost 1 1/2 years after Prince Phillip's death and in the year that marks the 70th anniversary of her ascension to the throne after the death of her father King George, the 25th anniversary of Princess Diana's death, and the 20th anniversary of Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother's deaths.

King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla, I cannot wrap my head around that.

Edited by kalbir

• Administrator

I hope the day of her funeral will be on the weekend, or that day will be declared a national holiday here in Canada, because I’d like to watch it live.   Also, I wonder when we’ll start seeing Charles face on our money.  

• Members

I mean, it’s largely ceremonial anyway, so I don’t see it drifting away that easily. That said, having spent time in various parts of the UK, there is a general apathy about the thought of still having a royal family from big parts of the population. There is an overwhelming sense that it’s an idea out of touch with modern British values from some.

If I’m honest, i’ve always felt like the royals were much more beloved in the commonwealth than in the mainland UK from my experience.

A 70 reign is nothing to sneeze at though and I don’t think anyone can doubt just how devoted she was to her nation and its causes.