GENERAL HOSPITAL June 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

Some of the replies to this commercialization-of-Pride tweet

"Where’s Kristina? GH is the land of tell, don’t show.

Please register in order to view this content

And it’s never been worse than under this regime."

"It would be great if you featured a lot more LGBTQ+ stories for Pride month and beyond. Get some queer writers on board. While your at it get some women in there too. We need these important voices to tell stories that we love and to tell them with care. #GH "

"Nope stop virtue signalling and actually give real storylines to Terri, Lucas and Kristina."

"Hey, how about giving legit stories to the LGBTQQIP2SAA characters you have instead of trying to make money off of them?"

"name an lgbtq+ pairing you’ve INVESTED in over the last 6- wait, 12 months. i’ll wait."

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I mean, casting Lucas instead of Dex, Cody, Austin, etc.  is ridiculous in the  scheme of #firefrank's grand Executive Producer vision.

None of those characters were necessary, yet here we are. Pride month and all we've seen is Brad drooling over a new (most likely straight) guy, Terry bidding bon voyage to HER FIRST ROMANCE IN FOUR YEARS, a mention to Brad that Lucas wasn't around, no Felix, no Kristina.  Lip service is all #firefrank gives to the LGBTQ+ community. It's that simple.

• Members

FV seems to have learned from OLTL not to do that. They went full bore with a frontburner LGBT story and canvas there, only to take a hit in the demos he and Frons prized. As far as I can tell, the 'lesson' he learned from that experience was to fire all minorities, hire more hot white str8 guys and keep any minority characters to the margins from then on so as to preserve what he sees as their only solid, shrinking audience. It's a rule he has mostly adhered to since, with a few current if uncertain exceptions.

• Members

Yeah. The lip service is so disingenuous.

I’m not loving GH these days, so I’m not watching as much, but it seems like a lot of the time I tune in, I see a lot of people *talking* about Trina, but I don’t actually *see* Trina. Feels like she’s a bystander in her own story.

• Members

I think the recast is exceptional and IMO better than Sydney Mikayla, but it doesn't make a difference. It's been clear to me under both actors that FV's GH is ambivalent at best about showcasing an interracial couple and a Black heroine with the same force and frontburner consistency as someone like Joss (who IIRC started out as a temp hire, but fit the bill for the Kristen Alderson-esque teen lead FV's been chasing for years). I think some days, weeks, months are better than others, but ultimately too much of the story is still fitted around the white characters - Esme, Joss, Joss reacting to what's happening to Trina, etc. It's not that Spencer and Trina is not a key story, it's in the execution of it and how it seems to keep looping back to the white characters for me.

I think they know the fanbase is there and the audience interest with Trina and Spencer, but FV is stuck in both his conception of their aging and narrow-minded audience (old, white, at least half-bigoted) that he is afraid to lose, and also in what he thinks will sell to both them and the kids from back in 2008 with Starr on OLTL. So he is at the very least trying to have it both ways atm, while in the past he would've been content to keep Trina as the Langston from OLTL to Joss' Starr; her ethnic, non-blonde sidekick clucking over her problems with a B or C-story. And that's frankly still a role they sometimes are relegating Trina to. I don't know how it will end up.

• Members

Spinelli is only NOW involved in this Esme/Trina phone mess? Get the f-ck outta here. And he’s stumped? Frank, Chris, and Dan think we’re all idiots.

As someone said on Twitter, “Spinelli created a program that showed us Drew’s original face. He’s hacked into cameras, security systems, the hospital mainframe, erased the sex tape from public pages etc. But you’re telling me that 19-year-old mean girl has outsmarted the jackal?”

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Like I said elsewhere, Can't Howarth, Easton and Patrick just get together at Dave and Busters and save us this dreck?

Maybe they could lose Violet in the ball pit.  She's cute and all, but half of this episode could have easily been skipped.