Characters: The Aborted & The Wasted

• Members

Yeah I know about Melissa, but most of The Clips i saw of her she looked and sounded real nice, i suppose Jensen preferred to leave?

Well Actually Elise was a Judge who had an affair with Victor, However i could see potential in her, The clip above kinda shows why i also got to see two wpisodes that got her but the person that posted asked secrecy wish i intend to keep

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

IIRC, what Ehlers said was she couldn't exactly do Shakespeare with an untrained actor, or that she was trying to work at a higher level than he was capable of. I don't think she said she was actually doing Shakespeare, but I haven't listened to it or seen the transcript in a long time. Nonetheless, it was a tactless, stupid thing to say while still on the show with a performer who the audience liked while it wasn't exactly feeling her.

As for Jensen Buchanan, let's not kid ourselves. Her character sucked, period. She was forced onto the show by JFP (who even invited a lawsuit from CBS to get her on as quickly as possible from ATWT), she was used to try to run down Bobbie's character and pushed into a frontburner pairing with A Martinez no one liked, only Tony Geary was able to save Jackie Zeman's job and Bobbie from being sent to the asylum or something, and she was loathed by the audience. Melissa was DOA. But if it hadn't been GH, the flagship soap of the network, we would've had at least another year of frontburner Melissa and Roy while Bobbie got sent off to Ferncliff. That's how JFP was allowed to run wild at OLTL. Not so much at 3 PM.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Agree.  BE should have been smart enough to see that, too.  If you know your character has not been received all that warmly by the audience -- and she had to have known, unless she's just that clueless -- the last thing you wanna do is potentially alienate those who HAVE warmed up to your co-star.  If anything, you pull a William deVry and push the hell out of your pairing to the press and everyone else.

And as for not being able to do Shakespeare with an untrained actor...?  Girl, I'd hardly call what Chuck Pratt was writing as being like Shakespeare.

For some reason, this sentence cracks me up.  Like, I could see his Tim literally pull off his shirt and the all the women on the show give a collective "Meh" before returning to their respective conversations.

• Members

Kim Nero GH: granted having major actors play a dofferent role on the same soap doesn't work for me (Tony Geary as Bill), but at least Sarah Brown's Carly had some major drama and lasting stoyline impact.

Tamera Braun should have been made a villain, an Ava like antagonist to Sonny & Carly. Perhaps even a love interest for Jason or Sonny. (I'm trying to imagine her in Nina's shoes). Instead she was too nice and wasted away after Oscar's death. 

• Members

Idk maybe.

The more I think about it, Oscar was probably just a placeholder until Frank was able to bring (at the time) Nicholas Bechtel back full time as Spencer. When that didn't work out, Oscar's death and mourning was dragged out ad nauseum, until Dev showed up, who was another placeholder.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

"First you give me somebody who, God bless him, I love J.R. but he's not an actor.' And so that's hard enough with somebody who...it's going to be a long time before he gets out of second gear. And I'm constantly having to hedge my performance cause I can't be doing Shakespeare while he's doing something else."

I think we know what she was saying and it wasn't entirely wrong but it was so tone-deaf and sounded so arrogant. Particularly for someone who had been in the business for so long and should have known better.
It was a "Muhneyism" before that was a thing.

But contra what someone said earlier in this thread, this had nothing to do with his injuries or his looks. 

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

I'm not buying that.

Oscar was a needless branch and Kim was a completely useless character. All to prop Killer Filler Spiller Driller Billy Miller. 

Had they started with Matheson in the role, I could have appreciated (possibly) Drew more. We should have had Jimmy Lee's kin years ago--and I might even take Howarth  back then as a Holt.  But Oscar, cancer or not--with all of the propping, was one of the worst planned out and performed characters.

Foghorn Leghorn - Album on Imgur

It's not wrath when we're correcting the misinformation you are sharing... Especially when most of the things you err on are easily found in the AWHP, etc.

It's not like you are the only one that gets corrected, it's that you always complain about it afterwards...

• Members

They didn't care about Miller by the time they brought the Neros on, because once they had Steve back BM was an afterthought. At best TB was to be his consolation prize, but it didn't pan out either.

And yes, that's the quote Ehlers gave. She didn't literally mean she was doing Shakespeare. I took her point to an extent, but she should never have said it in public - especially given the fact that Martinez's natural charisma despite his lack of experience was carrying him well on the show, while she was bombing with the audience.

No way. They were never going to commit to Bechtel on that level unless he physically matured by leaps and bounds. They were all in on Oscar and Joss because it was Frank's latest shot at replicating Starr and Cole from OLTL - beautiful, vapid white kids in love. Frank loved NB, yes, and clearly dragged his feet on replacing him, but I never got any hint they intended to put him in with McCoy and co.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It also didnt help that Theyhad Kim attempt to rape a drugged Drew to create another baby, but Julian stopped her. It ruined Kim for me. 

As for Joss/Oscar: Yeah FV wanted to redo Starr/Cole but both characters had zero edge. Ahhh the days when Cameron actually had an edge. GH's issue  with its teens is that they were writing them all as angels. Thank god Spencer and Esme are schemers and Trina doesnt take Crap.

IF they ever un-killed Oscar, It would be a new actor. Garren Lake Stitt is no longer Disney family friendly with his music.

• Members

I thought Y&R needlessly got rid of three wonderful villain/troublemaker characters over the years. Marla Adams as Dina Mergeron should always have been welcome to stir up trouble in Genoa City. I was glad she was brought back, but very disappointed that it was for an Alzheimer's story.

Then there was Margaret Mason as Eve Howard, another favorite who could have remained to stir up trouble for Victor, Nikki, the Abbotts, any available or unavailable man, and any woman who wanted him.

I also liked Diana Barton as Mari Jo Mason and would have welcomed more of her misadventures.

Another couple of Y&R topics mentioned by others recently: Roberta Leighton as Casey Reed (another actress and character I liked) was paired with Tom Ligon as Lucas Prentiss. She called him "Sailor" and he called her "Doc," IIRC. As for Victoria Mallory, she was pretty, sweet, and conventionally feminine as Leslie, rather than the socially awkward but musically gifted Leslie of Janice Lynde. Though I didn't see a lot of VM's work, I thought her version was less specific and less original than Janice Lynde's creation. VM might have been better cast as Chris. Janice was extremely popular, as the magazine polls of the time indicate.

• Members

Well where she ended up was in a modified happily-ever-after offscreen appealing her attempted murder conviction with Catlin and their baby. The character was introduced as a spoiler for Catlin and Sally and I think part of the miscalculation was in trying to make Catlin's past too wholesome. (The other was turning Peter into a cul-de-sac that wiped out him, Brittany, and Peggy Lazarus.) If they had written Brittany as a girlfriend he had abandoned when she got pregnant instead there would have been more complexity to play. 

• Members

In 1939, Columbia cast a young William Holden to play the lead role (opposite Lee J. Cobb, Adolphe Menjou and Barbara Stanwyck) in their adaptation of Clifford Odets' play, "Golden Boy."  As violinist-turned-prizefighter Joe Bonaparte, Holden was so green, the studio considered replacing him with another actor.  Stanwyck, however, intervened, working with Holden to bring up his performance to a satisfactory level.

Perhaps, instead of "hedging" her performance and complaining publicly about Martinez's, BE should have worked with him the way Stanwyck worked with Holden.

As always, I'm just saying.

Whoda thunk that Brittany, brought on board to be a spoiler in Catlin and Sally's romance, would end up with Catlin in the end, while Sally's body lay a-moulderin' in the grave?