Characters: The Aborted & The Wasted

• Members

Well it's the most anyone's talked about Rohm in years lol

She still works on things I have heard of so yeah?  Sort of?

Anyway, moving on.  Can I nominate GH's Kate?  MW's Kate was such a breath of fresh air with lovely hair and then KSu took over and it was an entire different character 10 years too young.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's Ok, since that's my boat let me change Directions 

OLTL - Melinda Cramer

Y&R - Genevieve 

Both had potential but what they did anyway? Also before Genie Left Y&R there was suggestions that a new Character related to Her would appear I believe Her sister I have to find the clip in which that's hinted

I think this is it

• Members

I agree and disagree on these

When Melinda returned in the late 80s she was nothing like her original character and she seemed much more like a Dorian re-boot.  The exploitation of her mental health story (including an evil psychiatrist who used medication to subdue his enemies) would be offensive to modern viewers.  There was no hint of the frail Melinda who kept Peter from Jenny.  I am trying to avoid mentioning the actors for fear of diverting the topic once again, but it seemed like Sharon Gabet was brought on to mop up the mess of the mistake of recasting Dorian with Elaine Princi.

On the other hand Genevieve had enormous potential.  Not only was she rich, powerful, and funny, but she had her own mansion.  She was a viable romantic nemesis for Nikki or Ashley.  I liked the chemistry she had with Victor.  And, I liked that she was an old fashioned soap schemer who just wanted wealth, not world domination or violence.  The obvious weakness was connecting her introduction to Cain and Colin, both of whom already had convoluted backstories.  It would have given the character less baggage to either be totally new to Genoa City, or to have mysterious ties to either the Chancellors or Brookes families.  However, she is great example of an abandoned character because they rushed her out town and she had no long term effect on the story.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Sharon Gabet was on before Elaine Princi....she seemed more like she was filling a gap.  And I think she could have played Melinda as more fragile.  She had a dramatic vibe when she played Raven...that she could have channeled into playing Melinda's struggles to readjust to life outside the hospital.

In regards to Sarah Brown various roles outside Carly, I think Madison was the character most wasted.  She seemed to fit in well on Days...she had a good potential rival in Kate, a frienimie vibe with Sami..and she worked with Brady..and had good friend chemistry with Nicole.

Young and the Restless:

Jed Saunders (Josh Taylor) first came in with a hint he may have been Nina's dad...then he and Nikki had great chemistry along with having a one night stand with Jill.  I was looking forward to a triangle developing....and we all know how Victor would have reacted.  Sadly..the show dropped him...and Jill was left in a neverending divorce story while Nikki went back to pining for Victor before getting with Brad.

• Members

Ali Forrester - Bold and Beautiful

What was the point of having a similar death to her mother's on PCH? I wish they would've at least had Thorne send her out of town to get professional help in Paris or Milan. And not to mention that Ashlyn Pearce was a good actress. Also, there aren't too many legacy Forrester children outside of Ridge's tribe either. So much could've been done with the character. And I wish someone would've told her that Darla wasn't as perfect as she had built her up in her head. That she, too, was like Steffy and other women when she was her age.

Juliet Helton- The Young And The Restless

The character could've been in the vein of Mari Jo Mason, of sorts, if they had her be a corporate maven who created havoc on the canvas. Instead, the actress needed a red bull. Not to mention, they didn't know if she was a vixen, corporate maven, or heroine who needed protection. So, they killed her in childbirth when she gave birth to the walking stick's child, which no one hardly mentions. 

• Members

GH Sabrina: after Robin returned from the dead the character kind of just faded into oblivion until she got killed off

Y&R: Dina, being that the character already had animosity with Jill she could've been used to re-create the feud that was lost after Kay died. Instead they gave her an Alzheimer's plot that dragged on way too long.

Dynasty: Dominique should've caused way more trouble than she did.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

Oh, I really disliked her lol. I just think that killing her, Kiki, etc. was unnecessary. I didn't like either character and was very glad to see them go but it was a bad look to keep slaughtering young women in rapid succession in the #MeToo era.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Outside of Sasha, though, Michael as a love interest has been the black widow.   Abby, Sobby, Kiki, Nelle, Carter the rapist, all dead. His track record should scare women off.   (Hopefully Wallow meets a similar fate, but that's mostly because she's so self-righteous and smug).

As bad a look as it was, both characters needed to be offed. Both were over-propped while under-developed.   Sobby's baby should have been a Quartermaine, not the spawn of Crusty Carrrrrrllllloooooossss, but that's a totally separate rant! 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Sabrina could've been run out on a rail at any time. Kiki I would've still killed as part of the mob war between Sonny and Ava. But two young woman being brutalized and murdered practically back to back by separate serial killers, woof.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I know people have strong feelings about BC but I think I am going to venture GH's Morgan in the category of characters that had a lot of potential that was left on the table.
He was more interesting than Michael with a lot of interesting character traits that could have played out for years.
With a different actor if BC was a problem but as often with legacy children, I don't think killing him was the right move.

• Members

I am sure you are right.  They just put Sabrina in the oddest corner.  She was so virginal but had a long standing romance with Lily's brother?  Is he Lily's brother?  Idek.  And they made her related to Juan/Miguel.  Like way to tank a character lol.

Poor Abby and the crane that hit her off screen.  Did that actress do something to piss off TPTB? Lol

• Members

They hinted at Carlos being related to her, IIRC. I don't recall if it was confirmed. I think that angle was part of a storyline with Lilly Melgar coming back in some role (possibly the doppleganger from the 2000s, Ron Carlivati loved to dig up that obscure shít, but it was rumored she would actually be back as undead crazy Lily) that got scrapped.