Agnes Nixon's Erica Kane

• Members

Talking about The Phantom of the Soap Opera storyline I actually liked that This gave a New Level to Brooke and Erica's rivalry, because Brooke actually went to Erica and told her that she should face the world it showed that there was some respect or regard between them but it was a deception that when didn't get to see the scars to see how big was the damage, and of course they began to make Erica loose her layers after this

By the way ever imagined If two of their children got together? they would be so desperate they would probably work together to separate them 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Maybe it was the era in question, but I just remember feeling all through out the 00's that Erica was this untouchable goddess and everyone else were the equivalent of street urchin's compared to her, and everyone knew it. Perhaps it wasn't intentionally supposed to come off that way, but that was the way it felt. Erica had a tremendous amount of plot armor similar to the likes of Victor Newman, Sonny Corinthois and Stefano Dimera, just of a different kind.

• Members

Erica was beloved by virtually the entire audience, good stories or bad. She never dismantled the show. Sonny, not so much. You don't have to like her, but that's the way it was. The reaction to Babe. the Careys, Ryan, etc. in those years was far more negative and tethered to what Brian Frons and Megan McTavish did to the show.

• Members

You always do this, and it goes nowhere productive when you do. No one was talking about the Carey's, Ryan or Babe and your post is an over reaction that is unneeded but predictable. Literally no one was arguing that Erica wasn't a beloved character on the show. Literally no one has said that in the three pages we have in this discussion. No one said that Erica dismantled the show either, so again where is this coming from? 

Regardless of your thoughts on Sonny Corinthois, whenever he was on screen the show tilted to something that was sort of unrecognizable in an effort to deflect or protect him, and Erica often was in an entirely different universe when her stories were playing out similar to the armor that you would experience for a Stefano, Victor or Todd sort of story. That is all anyone was saying. AMC's writing concerning Erica could have been better handled if they had taken some notes on how OLTL wrote Viki during the same time period in her front burner stories.

If you hate Ryan, the Carey's and Babe that's great, I guess (?) not sure what they have to do with Erica's stories being teflon where nothing bad could ever happen to her. 

• Members

It's funny that you say this - and I realize I'm coming in a week later, blame Ida - because a very good Instagram account I follow posted a series of scenes not long ago where Brooke fires Kendall from Tempo for writing an Erica-bashing article. It was so WEIRD to see Brooke working on Erica's behalf and the two of them almost respecting each other. Clearly, on Erica's end, it was all about getting back at Kendall and using Brooke to do it, but it was still an oddly satisfying thing to watch. It kinda made their feud even more realistic - yes, there is always THAT bitch you don't like, but sometimes you gotta hand it to her.

• Members

Still true though.

I'm quite calm. The issue here is the false equivalence you're drawing re: "plot armor", which I find ironic considering you're a fan of characters who actually did and had all these things on AMC. Erica was made the butt of the joke a lot of times in the last decade or so on the network. Her abortion was overturned. Her history was razed solely to service others. That would never happen to Sonny; it would never happen to Ryan. And other characters were often the specific beneficiaries of Erica being floated off into a rarefied orbit. Yet somehow Erica is the problem in your mind. Didn't really happen that way, though. Erica was diminished and sidelined in a way those characters you're drawing a parallel to never were.

• Members

Truth be told Erica was left on Limbo, She was probably shot on the Final Cliffhanger and we never knew how it ended, except by hearing some comments from GH

And I think most people also hated the 2005 storyline in which Erica's aborted child turned out to be Alive, ruining a 32 year old legacy for an absurd story really??? oh please 

In 1995 Tara Came back to town was there any meetings between her and Erica??? 

And finally wasn't it weird of Erica thinking Greenlee and Kendall were having an affair?

• 1 month later...