Y&R June 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Genuine question: would Tricia Cast want a front-burner storyline even if she they wrote it for her?

She IS a gem but I have gotten the impression she was a bit like Beth Maitland or Jess Walton these past few years - happy to pop up for stints and show up when needed but not eager for a full-time job. However I might be wrong. Did she give an interview to that effect?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't think they have any desires for her to be anything but a baby mama, though I agree with a better actress this role would have had massive potential. But it's Griffith. He sucks.

She screams 'dead woman walking'. It's on purpose; it has to be LOL. I'm guessing they deliberately cast someone who isn't familiar. She screams 'I belong on a Hallmark movie' and that's not necessarily an insult. Just very low energy.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

She may not want one due to her coming back and forth between LA and Tennessee. But they could do more with the character of Nina other than cross-stitching and being the "Traci Abbott" of the Chancellor Estate isn't it. 

• Members

I'm curious about this too.

I'd love to see her more but it would also require having a kid on the canvas, IMHO. One who's played by a likeable un-problematic actor.

I love all three and think they should be featured way more than they are but I'm assuming it's by choice (clearly it is with Walton and Maitland is just thrilled to be there).

I'd argue they could do more with all of them, they don't need to be leading a story 4 days a week but Y&R and (and for example GH) could use their vets in much more strongly supporting ways, if that makes sense. But I know a lot of factors play behind the scenes. Scheduling, budget, availability of the actors ...

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Is Summer going to summon the bare shouldered buttinsky mother of hers to help her fight for Kyle? Tara acts like her and Kyle are more than they are and Kyle seems to be eating it up. 
This Sally story is dumb. They wasted an Eric Forrester crossover on this? 
There’s gotta be a lover for Sally out there. How about Noah? 

• Members

Kudos for Courtney Hope collecting a paycheck still, and she's absolutely wasted, but what on earth has been the purpose of Sally on Y&R

Does nobody else want the headwriting job? Why on earth is Griffith still around?

• Members

Agreed. I really wanted this to work and I guess I commend CBS for knowing she is great and finding a way to keep her tied down to them on contract but this is not working. They clearly do not know what to do with her.

I don't blame them for firing whatshisface but it is so weird they are insisting on continuing to tell the story without a recast Chance on the canvas. Are they holding off to see if they can land someone in particular?

I still say Ronan was a pretty interesting character and it is weird he is never mentioned. But then again neither is Dylan.

• Members

I was hopeful when Abby married Chance and we had Nina back, they were going to start a family. Instead though, they rushed Abby thru fertility problems, got rid of Chance and now have a surrogate story and Chance mystery. They should either send Abby off to be with Chance or recast him. At this point I wouldn’t miss her. I’ve never been a fan of surrogate stories.

• Members

Last time she returned she managed an Emmy nomination. I'm sure she'd love a storyline, but I take it these actresses are realistic and are happy with what they get. Jess made it clear she wanted a story, but it didn't materialize for years which led to her moving to Oregon. Lauralee Bell regularly works, but they don't write for her. Same with Beth Maitland who was working regularly. All SHOULD have storylines, but they're older women and Y&R doesn't value that. Melody Thomas Scott is the only one left and even she is a background character these days. 

• Members

From what I've read (via humourous recaps), Sally is there to be a thorn in the dead-upon-arrival pairing of Kyle and Summer, and become Phyllis 2.0, in terms of meddling.

As for Josh Griffith, he has his friend Steve Kent (via Sony Pictures Television) to thank for his gig.

I agree: Griffith is missing all of the important parts of this story and is rushing it far too much (which, for a writer whose work has been slower than a tortoise) is laughable.

• Members

Chuck Pratt Jr's work was controversial, but, damn... did it have some drive to it, especially following Shelly Altman & Jean Passanante.

Plus, his work with Mal Young as executive producer (who was in-charge during the explosion scene) was far superior than his tenure with Jill Farren Phelps.