GH: ABC nixes character return (c/o Daytime Confidential)

An upside for me of having Todd back is that we would have to get Blair visits and I love Kassie DePaiva.

The downside is that I don't know how you can write Todd Manning without having Starr around at some point and that can only lead to ugly dilemnas.

I know we are way past that point in the discussion but there are no good options and Roger H. is not indispensable. Enough with this.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, AdelaideCate007 said:

The issue has always been that he never should have been Franco in the first place. I don't care what kind of chemistry he had with people. It was absurd from day one, and it got even worse when they tried to hand wave away everything he had done. I'll admit he was great with Becky chemistry wise but they never should have gone there. There were literally 7 or 8 different characters they could have had Roger play, but they insisted on him playing. Even all these years later, they did the right thing by finally getting rid of him. Roger should have just been Tom Hardy or some new Quartermaine from the jump.

As for Todd, Vee is right. It's impossible to have a character like that on the show right now and as a leading man. It was problematic back then too. However, at the end of the day, Todd raped Marty (and was going to rape her again), assaulted Luna, punched Tea, tormented and stalked Nora, and did all kinds of heinous stuff to Blair. It's all on YouTube. You just can't have someone with that kind of history as a leading mean now. It would never fly.

And no, no one is pleased with the parade of Michael Easton characters either.

All of this

14 hours ago, John said:

My biggest issue is not that Todd isnt coming back, its that ABC makes a big procolmation that they cant have characters that are problematic because of Me Too/Times Up and that I can get behind IF GH wasnt currently playing a story when Sonny who has Amnesia is found by Nina who doesnt tell him who he is and more than likely will sleep together. That action since Sonny cant give consent with Amnesia is also Rape and is very problematic.  So Thats why I call this hypicritical. 

But Nina is the heavy in that situation. Not a romantic leading man.

12 minutes ago, Vee said:

But Nina is the heavy in that situation. Not a romantic leading man.

I get that. You would think a show that says we have to be careful because of the times were living in, then writes a story that looks like its leading to a woman sleeping with a man she knows has no idea who he is and sheknows who he is. Almost a reverse Victor Jr/Marty story from 2008 on OLTL

Howarth shouldn't be brought back as Todd, Franko, Kent or any role on Gh now, as his image is tied to at least two characters that were misogynistic. Yes they retconned all of Franko's behavior with the brain tumor.

This is the guy that made a career playing a rapist and a serial killer.  It's not good optics, and it's about time something was done about it.  I'm not saying he shouldn't get new roles, but GH needs to be willing to let go of the actor so his career isn't neutered by the characters in his past.  He'd fit well on one of those Nickelodeon s*itcoms with his smirks and facial expression, he could be a goldmine.

Neither Easton or Howarth deserve multiple characters when there is a plethora of past faces that could have been recast that (as I always said...). VIEWERS RECOGNIZE AND CARE ABOUT.   

We can all go back and forth about Sonny, Jason, and Carly, but at the end of the day TPTB will likely stay behind them.  It's about time someone at ABC recognized that with his penny- pinching ways, Frank Valentini has been their biggest problem.

14 hours ago, slick jones said:

Howarth shouldn't be brought back as Todd, Franko, Kent or any role on Gh now, as his image is tied to at least two characters that were misogynistic. Yes they retconned all of Franko's behavior with the brain tumor.

This is the guy that made a career playing a rapist and a serial killer.  It's not good optics, and it's about time something was done about it.  I'm not saying he shouldn't get new roles, but GH needs to be willing to let go of the actor so his career isn't neutered by the characters in his past.  He'd fit well on one of those Nickelodeon s*itcoms with his smirks and facial expression, he could be a goldmine.

Neither Easton or Howarth deserve multiple characters when there is a plethora of past faces that could have been recast that (as I always said...). VIEWERS RECOGNIZE AND CARE ABOUT.   

We can all go back and forth about Sonny, Jason, and Carly, but at the end of the day TPTB will likely stay behind them.  It's about time someone at ABC recognized that with his penny- pinching ways, Frank Valentini has been their biggest problem.

PREACH.

This.

Ratings/streaming numbers are all that matters. So if RH came back as Todd for, say, a two-week test period, do you think viewers would be so repulsed that the ratings would show a sharp drop?

It's possible that the 2-3MM (1%) or so people who still consistently watch GH actually like characters like Sonny/Jason/Nina, etc. v the 300MM+ (99%) who don't watch.  It's just a theory.