GH: ABC nixes character return (c/o Daytime Confidential)

• Members

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2021/04/01/rumor-report-abc-nixes-roger-howarth-as-todd-on-general-hospital

If they're reporting it, it's true.

Frank is honestly delusional. I grew up watching OLTL, it was my #1 soap. I'll always appreciate some of the work he did there. And I loved Todd, warts and all. I think Todd would have real value to GH as a mover and shaker to come in and out and make trouble in story, like Marco Dane or Tracy did in the 90s. But that’s all stuff you could’ve done before 2017 and MeToo. The world is different now. It’s just not responsible or forward thinking, if you’re thinking about modernizing the genre, to let a serial rapist lead a soap. He has to be put away. And you have to stop trying to remake OLTL as it was.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'd much rather Roger Howarth play Todd Manning, then play a new character or a returning old character such as a rumored recasting of the thought dead Drew Cain, formerly played by Billy Miller.  What are they going to do, not mention the resemblance of Franco and Drew, or Drew gets plastic surgery again to look like Franco, or just a new character appears with a resemblance to Franco, a long twin, or just no mention of the resemblance. STUPID!!

• Members

The article notes the network evidently didn't like Franco either bc of the same reasons, yes. But Todd doesn't work either anymore as a romantic lead, and I was a huge fan of Todd for a long time. Any show (GH, OLTL, whatever) that would hypothetically deal with that character would have to stay away from him for years before dramatically changing how he is used in future years, and I really don't know how that would look. But you can never go back to a soap opera where a major umbrella plot axis is a serial killer or two rapist twin brothers.

• Members

The prudes that watch whatever these shows are now never cease to amaze me.  Lots of women online demanding Roger return as Franco, or now Todd.  Yet we can’t have LGBTQ characters, Black characters, any diversity...just these rehashed and half assed redeemed rapist characters or serial killers like Ben on DAYS without holding them accountable in story.  Ugh!

Edited by titan1978

• Webmaster

Let’s not forget that the people that had Frank’s back with GH got fired last year. Vicki and William led what was left of abc daytime and they were both let go during a reorganization of Disney’s TV properties. 

The new regime might be looking at what’s happening with MeToo, BLM and more and now want the show to represent something more than violence against women and bad people being glorified as superheroes. Maybe I’m just dreaming that is the case, but we shall see.