Illustrated Soap Ads - the good, the bad, and the oddities

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Whoever did the NBC soap illustrations had difficulties with perspective.  From the physics-defying way that the power is pouring out of that vase, to way that Cecile refection would not be seen from that angle is an odd choice.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTujc7V10twMvgt5ppeHGlfO7edQNPUwGYCvg&usqp=CAU

Also, there's something about the optimistic excitement of a new soap that captivates me

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Bh-EK8SmL.jpg

Who do you think the one in the middle is meant to be? (found on Amazon)

On the left is definitely La Lucci, and Deidre Hall is vaguely recognizable on the right, but the one in the middle should sue for slander given those thick wrists.

Also two cartoons that I couldn't resist

https://darkshadowseveryday.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/1116-spoof-darn-shadows-barnabas.jpg

and

• Members

I looked it up on AWHP and

NOVEMBER 18, 1977 (EP. #3387)
First appearance of Rod Arrants and Christine Jones as Austin and Amy Cushing

DECEMBER 5, 1977 (EP. #3397)
Last appearance of Rod Arrants and Christine Jones as Austin and Amy Cushing.

So, they must have shown them in Bay City on Monday, hyped up the return, and then on Tuesday, Rachel went to Port Claire with them in the AW timeslot, and FRRP moved to its normal timeslot on Wednesday.

from the Amazon description it is one of these women

Susan Lucci, All My Children
• Deidre Hall, Days of Our Lives
• Kelly Monaco, General Hospital
• Victoria Wyndham, Another World
• Eileen Fulton, As the World Turns
• Jeanne Cooper, The Young and the Restless
• Erika Slezak, One Life to Live
• Susan Flannery, The Bold and the Beautiful

So, I guess it is Kelly Monaco?

Also, can you imagine a kid's face if you gave them a Susan Flannery paper doll to play with?

Edited by j swift

• Members

Did some research...

The 1pm timeslot was where NBC programmed FRFP. Lovers and Friends had played at 12.30 pm.

But as NBC had not programmed in that slot since the 1950's many affiliates were reluctant to show it in that timeslot. So the Ch 4 station played it at 9.30 am on a one day delay.

So it officially started on a Tuesday after the characters had appeared on AW on Monday in the 3pm timeslot.

Guess affiliates showed whatever they liked on the Monday in the 1pm timeslot.

So NBC were trying to hype the show but I don't think the odd scheduling was the way to do it.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

A new low from a WSJ article on the advent of SoapNet came this comic image (which is especially odd given that WSJ is renown for their expert illustrations).  The names are in the spoiler, but try to guess who they think this looks like.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB940376237946079968

Edited by j swift

• Members

I'm not sure if this will work, but this is a clip from "The Road of Life" from the late 1940s when the show shifted to a spy plot that involved the death of Carol Brent and the arrival of an imposter Carol, who's real name was Beth Lambert. The spy ring that Beth was involved with was trying to take the government project that Dr. Jim Brent had been working on.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/9510964/st-cloud-times-saint-xloud-mn-dec-2/

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Like most of the illustrated NBC ads of the 1980s the actors were recognizable (including the iconic perm), but the depiction was not always flattering (Liza would benefit from better lighting), and it is odd how the lower text gets lost in the background image.

Also, I had to laugh that the first selling point that NBC chose to emphasize was not the drama, nor the romance, but that the timeslot was so convenient.

In comparison by 1989, the stock images were totally unrecognizable (especially when you consider the rather photogenic cast).

Edited by j swift