Iconic female friendships on soaps

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, watson71 said:

To all those who mentioned Rachel and Felicia on AW, it doesn't get much better than this:

I was watching that yesterday...and also when Ada died when Felicia came to pay her respects and Rachel was cordial only.

Another scene from 1996 after Felicia tells Rachel about her affair with John...with Rachel hinting at her own past as the other woman.

4 minutes ago, Antoyne said:

GT’s Phyllis and Hilary. Truly loved that friendship.

Michelle and Mishael don’t have the same chemistry, but Phyllis/Amanda is forced. Phyllis and Hilary were two outcasts bonding.

I could never get into AW (probably not helped by starting when JFP was there), but that was an excellent intervention scene.  One of the best ones I’ve seen on a soap.  I don’t even love Dano all that much but that was compelling.

Posted (edited)

Y&R: Cricket and Nina, Sharon and Dru

B&B: Stephanie and Sally (also an iconic rivalry), Brooke and Sheila (which obviously didn’t last) 

Edited by MinnaH
4 minutes ago, MinnaH said:

Y&R: Cricket and Nina, Sharon and Dru

B&B: Stephanie and Sally (also an iconic rivalry), Brooke and Sheila (which obviously didn’t last) 

I forgot about Sharon and Drucilla!!! I miss their friendship so much. Sharon could use Dru right about now. 

19 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

Dru needs to set Sharon straight about Adam..and than rough him up verbally 

Most definitely!!! 

On 3/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, NothinButAttitude said:

Rachel and Felicia. Especially, during the intervention story as we saw their friendship get tested and fall apart only for them to come back together. 

Jessica and Margo. I loved their friendship until Hogan Sheffer ruined it by having them chase the same damn man. 

Sharon and Dru. One of the few bright spots on Y&R post 2005. I loved how their friendship was built on their utter hatred of SPhyllis. Per usual, this went to the wayside when the show killed Dru. 

And ironically had Sharon be the one to PUSH it to the wayside, LML was ruthless lol

Colleen and Lily

Phyllis and Lauren

Phyllis and Hilary 

Phyllis and Amanda

EON

Raven and Geraldine

GL

Mindy and Beth

GH

Monica and Bobbi

OLTL

Anna and Sadie

7 hours ago, titan1978 said:

I could never get into AW (probably not helped by starting when JFP was there), but that was an excellent intervention scene.  One of the best ones I’ve seen on a soap.  I don’t even love Dano all that much but that was compelling.

While it was Linda Dano's storyline, Victoria Wyndham and Stephen Schnetzer made it all that much more better.  Wyndham really should have been nominated for a supporting actress Emmy that year she was that good.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:45 PM, DramatistDreamer said:

True.

I am relieved that TPTB never dumbed down the relationship the way they eventually did to Margo and Jessica. I guess this was partly a function of the lack of interest in writing storylines for the elder set, particularly Lisa, which, otoh, is sad too.

It was interesting to see that relationship deteriorate, even before Barbara's deception was revealed, on account of Barbara's growing bond with Lucinda, who Lisa could not stand. The friendship weathered that period of turbulence.

I do think that Lisa was an incredibly loyal character, when you think of how protective she was with her stepchildren, as well as Tom. She was also the least judgemental of any of the Oakdale residents of her generation, when you think about how helpful she was to Julie and Carly, even when Emily was a pariah after fleeing town with James, Lisa didn't object to her working at Fashions.

Gautman and Sheffer missed the boat on this one. Even before Marland Lisa was taking in the strays of Oakdale...(Mary in particular living in the mansion, even after accusing Bob of sexually harrasing her..) and of course, Marland used her to introduce characters to other characters, and the audience. I wish they had kept Lisa's step kids around..Fulton was great with them.