Accent Work on Soaps: The Good, The Bad, and The Godawful

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've never seen her as Miranda, but in one of those old soap trivia books it's mentioned that Elaine just came up with a random continental accent for Miranda based on no country in particular. Hungarian Zsa Zsa would later play her mother.

• Members

Haha I remember on one of the Y&R standalone specials back in Christmas 2009/2010, they did an artificial flashback of Victor in his teens in the orphanage where he got into a fight with someone, and everyone ripping on the fact the actor had a very American accent which didn't ring believable next to Eric Braeden 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

If they wanted Victor to be American so badly, they could've just had his father be an American, maybe a serviceman who swept his German born mother off her feet brought her to America where they married and they quickly conceived Victor before the father has to deploy (or so he claims) and the mother struggles to get along without her husband. She eventually decides to return with Victor to Germany but finds she is no better able to care for Victor and leaves him at an orphanage. As a 20 year old, perhaps Victor makes his way back to the land of his birth.

• Members

@ironlion @ChickenNuggetz92 @DramatistDreamer For whatever reason, Bill Bell let EB use his natural German accent instead of adopting an American accent but BB also didn't factor in EB's heritage into Victor's backstory. I remember a 1984 scene where Lorie compared Victor and Nikki's upcoming marriage as "Berlin meets Las Vegas", that was probably the only time I can think of that EB's heritage was worked into the story.

• Members

I'm reading the 1984 summaries when Nikki found Victor's mother played by Dorothy McGuire, and certainly she did not affect a Tuetonic accent, nor did Victor's brother.  And when they finally introduced Victor's father, played by George Kennedy, he was supposed to be Canadian.  So the origin of Victor's accent is as mysterious as why nobody in Genoa City sounds very Midwestern.  Maybe his orphanage was run by German nuns?

Edited by j swift

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ana Alicia's (Alicia Nieves, Ryan's Hope) bad Puerto Rican accent. Didn't learn until one of the later SOAPnet rebroadcasts, after reading an old 1985 AA interview, that it was a last minute change.

Ana spoke about it again in a 2013 Hill Place blog interview - 

Once she started working on "Ryan's Hope," Ana Alicia encountered some initial challenges with her role, "The weird thing that happened when I read for the role, I didn't read with any accent at all, and I was never told that I would have to have any accent.  When I got there, the director took one look at me and said to the producer, 'She's got to have an accent.  She doesn't look Puerto Rican.'  So they asked, 'Can you do an accent?' and I said 'I don't know' because we were about to shoot!  But I was feeling so grateful to be there and too un-knowledgeable to say 'Hey, you know what?  I don't feel comfortable.  It doesn't feel right to me, I didn't prepare this.'  So I just did it.  I just jumped into it.  And it was so awkward for me because it wasn't natural and I felt so bad about that, about the whole situation.  So, gradually, throughout the year they let me drop the accent.  (laugh)  And it had to be, like, really gradual, you know, and so after a year I left with barely any accent left!"