Accent Work on Soaps: The Good, The Bad, and The Godawful

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I would say that Joseph Mascolo was the standard.

From the moment he made it to the studio until he left, he stayed in his accents. So much so that even co-stars did not know his real voice or even that he was American. That is just excellent and flawless. People STILL have stories of this they mention in interviews. 

OMG! Really? Woooow. I am shocked. 

• Members

Melrose Place's Sandy Harling. Not that I thought it was bad - she was far more convincing than whatever accent MEK thinks he's doing on GH. She went from having a southern accent to a super southern accent to having no accent at all in a span of like 5 episodes.

Special mention goes to Brenda Dickson's transatlantic theatrical accent she put on Jill on the tail end of her run on Y&R.

Edited by ChickenNuggetz92

• Members

I didn't know that either until I read about it. It surprised me and so did when I found out Fiona Hutchison was born in the states but her accent on both One Life To Live and Guiding Light was seamless as well. Probably because her parents were British. 

• Members

My mind immediately went to her. Losing Adrienne Leon for Sursok was a raw deal.

I generally find Australian actors unconvincing as Americans. Ingo Rademacher didn’t fare much better as B&B’s Thorne. 

• Members

Not sure to whom you're referring.

on Y&R, Victor caused Jack to be imprisoned on an island.  Victor replaced Jack with a criminal look-alike named Marco Annicelli that Victor had found in a Peruvian jail.

Actress Sofia Pernas played the character Marisa Sierras on Y&R. That character was the one that Real Jack met on the ship when he escaped from the island.  Marisa had previously been involved with Marco but decided to help Jack when she met Jack.

In real life, actress Sofia Pernas was born in Morocco and raised in the USA.  She speaks four languages: Arabic, English, Spanish and German.  (Her mother is from Morocco, and her father is from Spain and both of them speak more than one language.). When Sofia was hired at Y&R, her character Marisa was supposed to have an accent from a Spanish-speaking country.  Sofia incorporated that into her character Marisa, as directed. However, after she'd been airing on the show for a little while, ThePowersThatBe told her to drop the accent immediately because they thought the CBS daytime audience wouldn't like it, so she dropped it as directed and began speaking American English with no accent. 

(fyi, after she left Y&R, Sofia Pernas starred in "The Brave" and then in "Blood and Treasure".  I watched both series and I thought she did a good job in both roles, but they were each cancelled or not renewed.  She's now dating Justin Hartley.)

• Members

WELL HELLO! 

Please register in order to view this content

In a weird way, and as OTT as that accent was, it worked for me. It worked within the confines of Y&R as one of the most glamorous, lush and old-school melodramatic soaps on air. It worked in terms of Jill pretending she was to the manor born when the audience knew full well she was not. It also worked when things went wrong for Jill and there was this comedic aspect to it. I personally loved how committed Brenda Dickson -- and by extension, Jill -- was to keeping the accent going, even in intimate scenes with family. It was like Jill had reinvented herself root and branch in order to 'make it' and there was no going back to Jill Foster.

Edited by Cat

• Members

This was the way I saw it too. It was as if she were asserting her new identity (people really do this IRL, think of Madonna or Andre Leon Tally), that she was no longer the same woman who did manicures for rich ladies...she was now the rich lady and she would never let anyone (including herself) forget this.

It's like a really meta actor who is always in character.

Edited by DramatistDreamer