Eurovision Song Contest 2021

OzFrog

• Members

I've been hearing much about Belarus today as well... looks like the axe is about to fall. Then again, as much as Eurovision claims to be non political, you have things like Turkey getting ONE point in 1975 after it's invasion of Cyprus in 1974. You'd think that composers would have learned by now to give political lyrics a WIDE berth in regards to the contest.  The UK song is not bad... it would be much better without that nasty autotune on his voice. 

Edited by alphanguy74

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And here’s North Macedonia...

I’ve also just done a quick refresh of the first post with all the official videos for the songs from the Eurovision Youtube channel, so they’re the latest up-to-date version of the songs.

• Members

Don't knock 1982! It was a good year for Eurovision.   

Please register in order to view this content

Israel, Portugal, Cyprus, Sweden, UK, Austria all had very good songs.

Nicole's winning song for West Germany is no personal favourite of mine though. It's very competently written and performed, but it's just too saccharine.

• Members

Germany, Belgium, Sweden, UK and Portugal were my personal favourites from 1982. And while everyone has different tastes (of course), it was quite the memorable win for Germany that year, being their first of two victories at Eurovision. It is indeed one of my favourite winners to listen to.

Tomorrow night we finally get Iceland’s song, and also Sweden will have their final of Melodifestivalen! @I Am A Swede who are you picking to win?

Meanwhile, here’s Latvia...

• Members

In case you don't know, Malena is the mother of Greta Thunberg.  

Please register in order to view this content

Like I said, there's nothing really wrong with "Ein Bisschen Frieden", it's just not my cup of tea. I think both Katja Ebstein's "Theater" and Lena Valaitis "Johnny Blue" are better German entries from that era. (All of them of course written by Ralph Siegel  )

• Members

YAAAAS!! This is exactly why I created this thread. Eurovision is not really something that’s publicised or much known about outside of the US, so I found an opportunity to expose it to a new audience here. And the great thing is, it happens every year. If you have a chance, take a look through some of the back catalogue like alphanguy has been doing - you would be extremely surprised at some of the gems you will find.

And don’t forget this Siegel classic from that era either ...

• Members

Swedish final tonight - arguably the frontrunners seem to be:

Eric Saade - Every Minute (came third in Eurovision 2011 with Popular previously):

Charlotte Perelli - Still Young (previously won Eurovision 1999 with Take Me To Your Heaven; finished 18th in 2008 with Hero)

The Mamas - In The Middle (won last year with Move, obviously didn't represent Sweden because co-vid):

Tusse - Voices (new to the competition, has had cross-over appeal in airplay):

• Members

Betting odds are heavily favouring Tusse at the moment for tonight’s Melodifestivalen final, with Eric Saade a very distant second. Tusse was also the winner of Swedish Idol in 2019, which is why he has a lot of popularity within Sweden currently. 

Will be interesting to see who comes out on top, especially with all the returnees (Eric Saade, The Mamas, Charlotte Perrelli, Danny Saucedo, Anton Ewald, etc).