Eurovision Song Contest 2021

OzFrog

• Members

I like Denmark as well. The song would have better with a stronger vocalist. It kinds of reminds me of a SAW tune. My favorites 5 in order are:

1: North Macedonia

2: Iceland

3: Portugal

4: Albania

5: Denmark 

Scrolling through more of the Eurovision vaults, good Lord... how wonderful that someone has uploaded all these preselction broadcasts... I'm enjoying the hell out of them. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My top at the moment... 

Please register in order to view this content

Also, Israel has released their long-awaited revamp - and it has changed the song dramatically:

And as previously reported, Belarus are GONE! I’ll update the main post shortly

Malta are now the clear betting favourites, ahead of Switzerland and France. A really interesting stat - if these three songs are indeed the final Top 3 in Rotterdam, it will be the first time since 1986 that: 1. all three songs have French song titles, and 2. two of the Top 3 are fully French language.

Nice find! So a bit of historical context here - ABBA had competed in the previous year’s Melodifestivalen with Ring Ring, but had only come third. Now at the time, the regional juries were “experts” - musicians, actors, journalists, etc. When the juries knocked back Ring Ring, the public went into uproar as it was by far their favourite (but unfortunately had had no say in the vote at the time).

So following that controversy, the jury system was revamped for Melodifestivalen 1974 - the regional juries were now a mixture of musicians and general public (the first time the public had had a say since 1962). And it was partly due to this revamp that Waterloo came out on top by a large margin.

And the rest, they say, is history...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Next week it's finally time for Eurovision week....  

On a more somber note... Earlier this week former Swedish Eurovision participant Svante Thuresson died, 84 years old. Together with Lill Lindfors he gave us our first top 3 result back in 1966, with this unforgettable classic.

• Members

^^^ Awww that is so sad. Vila i fred!

In terms of this year’s contest, the first and second rehearsals are now pretty much done for all countries, and the betting odds are insane at the moment - for the first time in many years, there is no absolute standout winner.

Currently based on odds aggregators (c/o EurovisionWorld.com):

1. Italy

- 22% of winning the whole contest

2. France - 20%

3. Malta - 12%

4. Iceland - 8%

5. Cyprus - 6%

• Members

Well, after seeing the performances in the first semi-final I feel even more strongly that this is a weak year. I would be hard pressed to pick 10 songs that I feel deserve a place in the final.... 

Again, this is only my personal opinion though.

• Members

Recap of the 1st semi-final:

The following countries qualified from the 1st semi-final:

• Azerbaijan
  • Belgium
  • Cyprus
  • Israel
  • Lithuania
  • Malta
  • Norway
  • Russia
  • Sweden
  • Ukraine

The following countries did not qualify:

• Australia
  • Croatia
  • Ireland
  • North Macedonia
  • Romania
  • Slovenia

I'm happy with the results although I would have switched Croatia for either Azerbaijan or Israel.
IMO, Ireland and Romania were a mess on stage, and Slovenia and North Macedonia were plain boring.

• Members

One of the Icelandic performers tested positive for Covid-19, so Iceland will not be able to perform live in tomorrow's semi-final and in the Grand Final on Saturday.
However, "their song will remain in the competition and [they] will broadcast their rehearsal performance, recorded on the stage on 13 May."

https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/release/ebu-statement-regarding-icelandic-delegation-wednesday-19-may