Days: February 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Agreed.  I never understood why TBTB wrote Abigail as strong under Kate Mansi, and weak as hell with Marci Miller.  I am so glad that they decided to keep Abigail strong this go around with Marci playing the role.  This is most definitely Marci's best run in the role, and it's not her fault, it's the writers writing the character as Abigail and not like a meek, mousy new character. 

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I guess I’m glad Austin & Carrie got back together but I wish we’d get to see all this play out on the show!  I know every return of theirs gets seriously f’d up, but I think they have a lot of potential after such a long break from the canvas.  I’m just glad Shawn & Belle have a place on the show with RC.  After a decade+ of “gray” (or just villain) leads, I really miss the role heroes used to fill.  And while I super appreciate J&M and S&K, they’re way past their adventure “Days,” as Stevano proved.  Abby is probably the only long-term traditional heroine under 55 the show has had in the last 10ish years.  I am so glad Abby is still on the show.  I always loved Marci Miller but she’s really delivering every beat consistently this time.

Anyway, all I’m long-windedly saying is the hero still deserves a place... After so many years of Sami, EJ, Nicole, Xander, Kristen, Stefan, Eve, Theresa, etc. getting so much focus, it’s made me miss annoying airhogs like Austin/Carrie, Shawn/Belle, etc. lol.

• Members

I think soaps underestimate how much shows need some genuinely good characters to balance the crazy, evil and messed up out there. Carrie was annoying but even when being on the verge of doing a "bad" thing (cheating with Mike) she was thoroughly goody-2-shoes about it. And like it or not, it provided a good balance with Sami's energy.
I hate that the show has defanged Sami a lot as she became a center of the show. If only for that, I wish Carrie was there as balance although maybe Belle can be the proxy ying to Sami's yang.
Austin/Carrie is the end game but honestly I don't miss Austin as much. Lucas is much more interesting and neither of the two Austin actors really fit the role anymore.

• Members

It makes me sad that soaps don't know that the best way to preserve a good thing is to make it a once-in-a-while treat and instead insist on running anything good they got going on (a fun gimmick, a couple, etc.) to the ground.
The reason the absurd initial run of Kristen and Susan reached legendary status was not just because it was great soap and Eileen D. just rocked it, it was because it didn't overstay its welcome (well, by a few months at the end, but not that long). Which was quite the treat considering how long it dragged on during the storyline but the payoffs were spectacular and everyone was happy. It happened and it stayed a great memory because we moved on. 
Bringing Kristen back was risky but as a short-term stint it worked because it was a treat. Bringing her back full-time however, setting aside the issue of the recast, hasn't worked because this is not a character that can plausibly work long-term. And the Susan joke wears itself quickly as well.

I am starting to feel the same way about Vivian too to be honest: I can take Louise Sorel and bad writing but bad writing AND two recasts and I now wish they had just kept her dead.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

If there were good writers - which there aren't - I'd actually be interested in a Brady/Chloe revisit. The Kristen/Brady ickfest should have NEVER been a "romance" and they sure as hell should have NEVER procreated. I know it's "soapy" and Brooke Logan of B&B and Reva Lewis on GL went through the males of their respective love interest's families, but it grosses me out to remember that Kristen, by rights, should be well into her 50s, was engaged to Brady's FATHER, and was once pregnant with Brady's SIBLING and Rachel's own aunt or uncle.

Just hell no to all of that mess.

So if Chloe can rehab Brady, all for it.