Y&R actress exits

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I haven't sat through Mike's death on GH and I know I cannot do this. It will be like John all over again for them. 

Just thinking about it is mildly upsetting me.

I love Dina. And Marla Adams is awesome. And there were so many possibilities (and who many times they could have reversed this).  

Why?

• Members

The Alzheimer’s story really limited her, and they weren’t committed to telling it with the ruthless detail that GH did with Mike. (Ironically, GH is the show with the stronger youth focus, yet they gave an older character this platform, even if ultimately it was Emmy bait for Maurice Benard. But Max Gail got a lot to play, with all the staged flashbacks, etc.)

Undoing it by making it a result of Graham poisoning her might have trivialized the story, but like @Paul Raven said, they don’t even seem that interested in fleshing out the cast with older characters. TPTB see no place on Y&R in 2020 for Dina, so why would they bother undoing it? They barely even show Jack these days, much less Ashley or Traci. The characters they’re showcasing almost all just happen to be 25-54, with a handful of well-established exceptions.

• Members

Dina could have been the new Kay for fans and the stories. The initial story was botched; Graham (who should have been played by a real actor) should have been poisoning her with Ashley saving her and they reconcile. Then place Dina in the middle of the family struggles and Jabot. The show didn't want to put an old lady on contract and  it was such a mistake. The show desperately needs  matriarch and Dina's character was fascinating.  Dummies.

• Members

Or, ideally, if the performer decides to permanently retire. That way, they can plan the story, all the returns, and the potential fallout of the character’s passing in advance. Plus, it gives the performer the opportunity to “get their flowers” while they’re still here.